• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would you like to see the Beolab 9 measured?

Should Amir review the Beolab 9?

• Yes

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

amj101

So Amir currently has in his possession a Beolab 9 speaker which was provided for him to measure. However, due to the significant demand/backlog of other more relevant/contemporary speakers which are also in the queue, it's unclear if taking the time and effort to measure the Beolab 9 would be advisable. If members of the community could help chime in with whether they would like to see the Beolab 9 measured to gauge interest, that would be great. Thanks!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The speaker has been out of production of for what, 10 years? (correct me if I'm wrong).

Yes, it would be interesting to see how it performs, but it is an unconventional design and who knows what the almighty Klippel God will have to say, especially if it gets confused. Could be an entertaining read. The measurement axis determination will be fun on its own with the height, tweeter firing up and the acoustic lens all being somewhat atypical IMO.

YSC

Major Contributor
Not worth for purchasing advise thing of review, but interesting to see how it performs

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
How would it compare to this one?

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How would it compare to this one?

I found this quote:

Although the BeoLab 9 and the BeoLab 20 have many similarities:
  • roughly similar external shapes and enclosures
  • the loudspeaker drivers are almost unchanged (the 20's woofer has 2 voice coils where the 9's only has one - apart from that they are the same driver)
From an acoustics and a sound design point of view, the 20 is not an upgraded 9 - it is a whole new loudspeaker. There was no conscious attempt to make the 20 sound like the 9. For example, we didn't sit them side by side and do a direct comparison until the very end of the development process of the 20.

This is because the DSP of the 20 allows us to to far more than is possible with the analogue processing of the 9. We do a great deal of work using the processing power in the DSP to counteract resonances (cause by various things in the hardware) in the time domain. This is not possible using analogue processing. In addition, we can ensure that the phase responses of the three drivers are aligned across the two crossovers (in the "old days" this was thought of as time-alignment, but time alignment is a somewhat one-dimensional way to think of the problem. You have to consider this problem of driver interaction in three-dimensional space and across frequency bands.) We can push the low frequency range of the 20 much lower because we can approach its physical limits more closely due to the DSP. And so on and so on...

So I guess 9 would measure even worse than 20, I would pass on it TBH

Top Bottom