• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worst movie ever?

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Imitation Game, borderline character assassination of Alan Turing and a grotesque misrepresentation of Bletchley Park and the codebreakers.
I refused to watch it. We all know Rajewski, Zygalski, and Rozicki cracked Enigma.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
btw. I love to see so many of my favorite films lambasted by people here... and it shows how different peoples' tastes are

I love Lynch's "Dune"... this is one of the great films I've ever seen... I do get how people say it's a "magnificient disaster".

There's so many things I love about this... the cast is amazing, the characters inhabit their skin and the charisma is so evident, the Toto and Brian Eno score is one of the greatest of all time, the cinematograhy, the set pieces... I didnt have a problem with the pacing, story telling as I knew what to expect from Lynch...

I also loved Twin Peaks.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I believe rumors of Bruce Willis' demise are exaggerated as they say. He's unable to function in public, but still alive.

jsilvela

btw. I love to see so many of my favorite films lambasted by people here... and it shows how different peoples' tastes are

I love Lynch's "Dune"... this is one of the great films I've ever seen... I do get how people say it's a "magnificient disaster".

There's so many things I love about this... the cast is amazing, the characters inhabit their skin and the charisma is so evident, the Toto and Brian Eno score is one of the greatest of all time, the cinematograhy, the set pieces... I didnt have a problem with the pacing, story telling as I knew what to expect from Lynch...

I also loved Twin Peaks.
Yes, totally.

There are two ways this thread is being played:
- worst movie in absolute terms
- worst movie with critical acclaim or cult following

I like the second version of the game much better.

With that in mind:
The Shining and Clockwork Orange are completely overrated.

Ornette

Awe come on. The Get Smart film was perfectly cast and a very loving tribute to the TV show. So mad there wasn't a sequel.
Yeah, the cast was great (on paper), and I'm sure everyone involved had great love for the original show. All that notwithstanding, the writing sucked. It simply wasn't funny. At all.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah, the cast was great (on paper), and I'm sure everyone involved had great love for the original show. All that notwithstanding, the writing sucked. It simply wasn't funny. At all.
I laughed. And the new version of the music theme was amazing.

Andysu

Major Contributor
worst movie ever is disney the force awakens . it's only use is being tired to cat scratching post

17972104_10155044122215149_4467835598969565554_o.jpg

Galliardist

Major Contributor

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think one of the problems in making this kind of list is a lot of movies aren't really even movies. That is, if you define a movie as a serious and sincere effort to tell a story and engage an audience by presenting on film a compellling narrative line with real and relatable human characters, then most things released today aren't even failed efforts at that.

For example, in the 1970's you could look at any movie starring Burt Reynolds and know it wasn't really a movie. Rather it was a vehicle for Bert to break the 4th wall and do a bunch of winks and smirks directed at the audience, while whatever plot, dialog and the like was just there as set up for the cutie-pie shots of Mr Burt. Likewise, a lot of movies like Pokemon or the Resident Evil or Silent Hill are really video games made into movies to round out a marketing effort. They lack coherent narratives (exposition, character backstory, etc.), and anything even barely resembling a character is just a game token moving through some kind of first person shooter environment killing a scad of cardboard archetypically evil popups. And some movies are written with such fatuous dialog and contrived plot points they might just as well have been assembled from mad libs. And then there's the class of movie where the writers are deliberately letting on to the audience not to take the story at all seriously while simultaneously neglecting to include any of the elements of successfully executed comedy/farce/satire, so WTF.

It's hard for me to take any effort like the ones I've mentioned as a movie, which makes it extremely difficult to characterize any of them as a "bad movie.' I think the film maker has to at least be trying before we can say they got it all wrong. A lot of stuff released today is just filler, designed to provide consumables for the streaming services to offer up to people who just want to "chill." It's kind of like the cellulose in a bag of shredded cheese, really. Just there to make things flow.

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I think one of the problems in making this kind of list is a lot of movies aren't really even movies. That is, if you define a movie as a serious and sincere effort to tell a story and engage an audience by presenting on film a compellling narrative line with real and relatable human characters. Actually, most things released aren't even failed efforts at that.

Nothing you've described here defines 'movie' in anything but an idiosyncratic manner: 'compelling narrative' and 'relatable characters' are quite subjective. And Chris Marker's La Jetée or Sans Soleil, many films by Marguerite Duras, Jean-Luc Godard or Alain Resnais, even Terrence Malick may not meet your definition at all. Lots of interesting/important/excellent films really. As a description of 'types movies I like' your definition may well be serviceable. As a definition of 'movie' it's rubbish.

Last edited:

hnash53

Charlie's Angels 1
Charlie's Angels 2

Anonamemouse

I made the mistake of actually spending some money on 65.
The only plus is the cgi dinosaurs, literally everything else sucks about this movie.

Andysu

Major Contributor
I made the mistake of actually spending some money on 65.
The only plus is the cgi dinosaurs, literally everything else sucks about this movie.
isn't that rubbish also on kaleidescape ? no i won't be renting buying that . i rather watch chimpanzee washing a cat
giphy.gif

Top Bottom