• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worst Mixes in TV/Movies

D!sco

I thought I was losing my mind watching For All Mankind last week. So many shows use space as a backdrop for gorgeous scoring and clean ADR lines, highlighting the empty vastness of noiseless void as a perfect contrast. So why does it sound like everyone’s voice is being recorded on my USB Dell mic from 1995? Some of their scenes really nail the feeling of being there, watching history unfold, but whenever there’s a back and forth conversation in a room with the head to head cameras, they’re back to using my old Dell mic. It sounds like they recorded it in a real house (not a compliment).

I thought I was going nuts, so I looked it up. Taken with a massive grain of salt, this guy on Reddit supposedly worked on the show and had some interesting points.

”…Booming was tough, too. Like most TV shows these days, we had 2-3 cameras, and usually shot wides and tights simultaneously. Sometimes we could fight for similar headroom, but it wasn’t always worth it.

Joel Kinnaman (Baldwin) is tall guy. He dictated the top of frame. This made it difficult to boom other actors in scenes with him, like Sarah Jones (Tracy Stevens), who may be over a foot shorter than him…”

I try very hard not to be overly critical of recording quality vs creative quality, but sometimes it’s impossible. Has anything stood out lately as unignorably bad to the rest of us?

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Apologies, can't help you with the new series by that name... But If you haven't seen it, check out the earlier film.
Awesome NASA footage and soundtrack by Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois.

Sorry for being kinda off-topic!

Andysu

Major Contributor
boreenheimer

3hrs of boring dullest centre dialogue bored me
3hrs of i think almost the dullest music
3hrs of the dullest sound effects
3hrs of the dullest foley
3hrs of the dullest colour and picture quality of liemax switching on and off
3hrs of the dullest trinity explosion , i rather watch the time warp from star trek IV
after trinity i pressed visual search and skipped to the end , end credits

i rather watch star trek the motion picture in Dolby Stereo
this gets the cat litter boring movie

407258104_10161000431030149_9053354967314423449_n.jpg

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Many mixes are so bad, my wife and I have resorted to leaving the closed captions on for everything.

Oh, boy, when we hit a good mx, it's a sigh of relief!

Currently, Blue Eye Samurai seems to really stand out for sound quality.

concorde1

A brilliant movie, "The Deer Hunter" (1978), but at least on streaming the sound was bright and muffled, just awful. I heard from someone the original audio was stretched, maybe to compensate for misalignment with the picture or something like that, which might explain it. I make no claim.

OP
D

D!sco

A lot of ADR from old movies, like 95 and earlier, is so bad I have to wonder what they even added it over. It also tends to have that weird resonance, like they said the line in a different room from the actor. It makes me feel like I’m watching a really convincing puppet show. Deer Hunter included.

Andysu

Major Contributor
i'm so tempted to blending this 4k disc , why i couldn't put this trash movie into a dog cat charity recuse shelter

407426156_10161002212720149_4670345968007853923_n.jpg

Top Bottom