• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worst movie ever?

Martini

Forum Donor
I had a late lunch and watched about an hours worth of The Wild, Wild Planet (1965). Wow, this was bad, has to rank among the worse ever. I'd place Plan 9 from Outer Space above this flick.

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Watch this guy’s channel:

:D

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
First, I tend to like musically related movies and comedies. A combination of comedy & music is best! (I like The Blues Brothers Movies). I'm not really into horror or action movies. But I do like (and own) a couple of Stephen King movies, Christine and Maximum Overdrive which has AC/CD music. I think Maximum Overdrive is Stephen King's "worst rated" movie so my tastes are out-of-step. ;)

You could fill an encyclopedia with movies I don't even want to ever see! And there lots that I haven't watched all the way through.

I took a film class in high school and I answered Love Story as the worst movie I'd ever seen. ...They foolishly gave us literature credit for that class and I foolishly took advantage of it...

Also many years ago (but long after high school) I went to the theater to see a movie with my girlfriend that she thought was a comedy. I'm not 100% sure, but I think it was Bonfire Of The Vanities. About 20 minutes into it I leaned-over and whispered, "I don't think this is a comedy." (She wasn't trying to trick me. We were both disappointed.)

Hmmm... IMDB lists Bonfire Of The Vanities as comedy/drama/romance. So maybe it was a different movie... Whatever it was, nobody in the theater was laughing...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
All your choices are also rans for worst movie ever.

Battlefield Earth starring John Revolta. Adaption of an L. Ron Hubbard novel. Hubbard isn't responsible for how awful it was.

A close second would be Riverworld. The 2003 movie not to be confused with a later one of the same name. Adaptation of a Philip Jose Farmer novel and again Farmer's story isn't the problem.

I would think Constantine is pretty bad too. The above movies regularly make critic's list of worst ever while Constantine with Keanu Reeves does not. In fact they are making a 2nd Constantine out next year.

1665436876316.png

Last edited:

Vini darko

Major Contributor
All your choices are also rans for worst movie ever.

Battlefield Earth starring John Revolta. Adaption of an L. Ron Hubbard novel. Hubbard isn't responsible for how awful it was.

A close second would be Riverworld. The 2003 movie not to be confused with a later one of the same name. Adaptation of a Philip Jose Farmer novel and again Farmer's story isn't the problem.

I would think Constantine is pretty bad too. The above movies regularly make critic's list of worst ever while Constantine with Keanu Reeves does not. In fact they are making a 2nd Constantine out next year.
I like the Constantine film. It's no masterpiece far from it but I find it entertaining.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Nothing comes close to the 1974 Connery disaster, Zardoz.

1665436804480.png

from wikipedia:

Zardoz was released in theaters on February 6, 1974, in Los Angeles and New York. When the film was released, it was immediately met with terrible reviews. Along with the scathing reviews, the public reacted very poorly to the confusing world of Zardoz. According to a Starlog Magazine article on Zardoz "these reviewers (and the general public) failed to understand many of Boorman's analogies and philosophical statements".[21] The confusion caused word of mouth to spread very quickly that Zardoz was not worth watching and soon theaters showcasing the bizarre sci-fi were left practically empty. Moviegoers reported that "when dissatisfied patrons from the previous showing exited the lobby, they would encourage those waiting to leave. Many times they did".[21] This bad reaction caused ticket sales to drop immensely. As Zardoz had a budget of $1.57 million and only made $1.8 million at the box office, it is considered to be a commercial failure. The film was later shown on local TV stations as late-night movie fare.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing comes close to the 1974 Connery disaster, Zardoz.

View attachment 236519

from wikipedia:

Zardoz was released in theaters on February 6, 1974, in Los Angeles and New York. When the film was released, it was immediately met with terrible reviews. Along with the scathing reviews, the public reacted very poorly to the confusing world of Zardoz. According to a Starlog Magazine article on Zardoz "these reviewers (and the general public) failed to understand many of Boorman's analogies and philosophical statements".[21] The confusion caused word of mouth to spread very quickly that Zardoz was not worth watching and soon theaters showcasing the bizarre sci-fi were left practically empty. Moviegoers reported that "when dissatisfied patrons from the previous showing exited the lobby, they would encourage those waiting to leave. Many times they did".[21] This bad reaction caused ticket sales to drop immensely. As Zardoz had a budget of $1.57 million and only made $1.8 million at the box office, it is considered to be a commercial failure. The film was later shown on local TV stations as late-night movie fare.
Oh yeah, that was bad.

Scrappy

The worst movie that should have been great is The Untouchables. Great cast, Mamet is a fantastic writer, but it is so off it often feels like weird satire IMO.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If it made it into theaters, then there was enough of a budget and decent test audience reactions. If it went straight to DVD (nowadays straight to streaming/on-demand), then it likely is terrible.

So depends on your criteria. There are YouTube channels that just react to terrible movies, and it’s fun to watch.

Top Bottom