• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worst measuring loudspeaker?

With the noise and 'funny stuff' that some digital sources especially may exhibit at these frequencies, I kind of beg to differ without any objective proof in either direction. To me it's needless noise pollution that I believe a well sorted ring radiator may be rather better here, but as with all things, there may be other compromises besides cost?
Noise and funny stuff beyond 20khz only comes out of poorly designed devices, and there is no need to use such things.

To me it's needless noise pollution that I believe a well sorted ring radiator may be rather better here, but as with all things, there may be other compromises besides cost?
Everything is a compromise in this world, typical ring radiator tweeter are made from soft and damped material which has its breakup frequency quite lower and closer to the audio band just smeared wider, also such don't keep usually the directivity constant in the last octave but beam more.

Kef R3 meta, courtesy of Hi-Fi News
View attachment 318455

Keith
Adjusted to match @amirm frequency response chart and compared to the Neumann KH120 II:

Kef R3 Meta HiFi News Adjusted.jpg
Neumann KH120 II ASR.jpg
Neumann KH120 II vs Kef R3 Meta.jpg

B&W 801 ‘signature’ £45k,
IMG_3152.jpeg

Keith

View attachment 321076

Keith
What you do get is variety. The stuff we like only plays at one boring level across frequency.

B&W 801 from 1987, courtesy of Stereophile,
IMG_3154.jpeg

Those were the days!
Keith

I would really like to know B&Ws reasoning, one can only imagine they are sales driven.
Keith

I would really like to know B&Ws reasoning, one can only imagine they are sales driven.
Keith
My cynical side says they are designed and built in some sweatshop in Asia, then shipped to B&W.

Maybe the designer is slipping into senescence with his customers...
Rather that the one of the main designers of their good old loudspeakers (Lawernce Dickie) left B&W in the 90s (after he luckily designed also the Nautilus which is after 30 years still the B&W flagship) and made his own company with loudspeakers which measure similarly well. https://vividaudio.com/

View attachment 321076

Keith
Be careful to judge this measurement, not above 1kHz, but below. It is likely measured with mic at the height of the tweeter, with 1m distance. This kind of measurement will not correctly measure the situation between 100-500Hz, as the woofer is measured from high angle, and its relative distance is further. This is generally the measurement issue with large 3way loudspeakers, and especially with dual woofers.
801 from 1987 might have been measured from different distance, and it has only one woofer.

Rather that the one of the main designers of their good old loudspeakers (Lawernce Dickie) left B&W in the 90s (after he luckily designed also the Nautilus which is after 30 years still the B&W flagship) and made his own company with loudspeakers which measure similarly well. https://vividaudio.com/
You would think they could find a competent designer. Maybe the new one works cheap.

I believe they are built in quite cool Steyning near the Sussex seaside.
Keith

I believe they are built in quite cool Steyning near the Sussex seaside.
Keith
My memories of England include finding good beer everywhere. Perhaps that's a factor ;)

Are the Nautilus a flagship, I feel they are more of a conversation piece , not unlike KEF’s ‘Muon’.
Keith

Back
Top Bottom