• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Worst measuring loudspeaker?

dfuller

Major Contributor
PMC Prodigy 5 https://audio.com.pl/testy/stereo/kolumny-glosnikowe/3901-pmc-prodigy5
d2FjPTcwNXgxLjg4Nw==_src_76591-pmc-prodigy5-lab1.jpg
This is why we only buy the newest PMC actives, they're categorically less of a mess. Still some bad TL interference though.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
PS Audio’s smallest reviewed by Adam Smith for hi-Fi News.
IMG_3646.jpeg

CapMan

Major Contributor
View attachment 369949
The scale is more zoomed tho' : 70-100 dB vs 50 - 100 so less bad than first glance .

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
View attachment 369949

I don't think this belongs in this thread to be fair. The format/scale of the graphs from hi-fi news is horrible, I don't understand why they show it like this. It's a bit uneven, but doesn't look to be far away from +/-3dB between 50-10khz.

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I agree, not awful, I don’t know why Hi-Fi News uses this scale either.
Keith

OP
Purité Audio

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Voxativ courtesy of Stereophile.
$14k to you.
Keith
IMG_3665.jpeg

MattHooper

Master Contributor
I’ve always wanted to hear the Voxative speakers. I found single range drivers speakers like that can have an intriguing sound. Hopefully at a future audio show I guess.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ve always wanted to hear the Voxative speakers. I found single range drivers speakers like that can have an intriguing sound. Hopefully at a future audio show I guess.
I can’t imagine that sounds great. Very little bass below 140Hz, 5dB peaks at 2kHz and 4kHz with a -5db null in between; then a 5db peak at 8kHz that turns into a 10db peak at 10kHz, followed by 30db drop around 12-13kHz.

The off axis response is just as bad.

Compare this to what you get from the D&D 8C at around the same price and it’s actually funny.

Literally the only thing this speaker has going for it over the 8C(or Kii) is the point source dispersion, which in theory should provide a better vertical response, tighter imaging and a more coherent soundstage, but given all of the off axis flaws, I’d bet those speakers stomp it on that front too.

Speakers like this make me want to purchase them just for the sake of making more interesting 3 speaker blind shootouts, but it’s so expensive. Would be fun to put them in a shootout with a JBL 308P. My money would be on the $300 speaker.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In terms of single driver speakers, I’d love to see measurements of the Sibelius. Those speakers have been given quite the recognition amongst YouTube reviewers.

That said, my expectations of them are low.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
I can’t imagine that sounds great. Very little bass below 140Hz, 5dB peaks at 2kHz and 4kHz with a -5db null in between; then a 5db peak at 8kHz that turns into a 10db peak at 10kHz, followed by 30db drop around 12-13kHz.

Compare this to what you get from the D&D 8C at around the same price and it’s actually funny.

Literally the only thing this speaker has going for it over the 8C(or Kii) is the point source dispersion, which in theory should provide a better vertical response, tighter imaging and a more coherent soundstage, but given all of the off axis flaws, I’d bet those speakers stomp it on that front too.

Speakers like this make me want to purchase them just for the sake of making more interesting 3 speaker blind shootouts, but it’s so expensive. Would be fun to put them in a shootout with a JBL 308P. My money would be on the $300 speaker.

Understood.

As I’ve mentioned before, it all depends on ones on approach to the audio hobby.
If you’ve decided on certain features you like or desire in your loudspeaker - e.g. flat frequency response on a certain type of dispersion - then you can filter out speakers like by that criteria as a “bad speaker” that you don’t need to bother with just by looking at the measurements.

On the other hand if, like me, you are not seeking just one type of speaker sound, but enjoy the way speakers sound different, and find that entertaining, then even such speakers as these can be a curiosity.

I had a nice sit down with some Rethm speakers, based around the Lowther-type drivers. What I heard tonally tracked quite well with the Stereophile measurements:

Sidebar 3:

(also when I heard the Devore 0/93 speakers that tracked pretty well with those measurements too, and the comparison).

Nonetheless, I was really glad to have heard those speakers. I found them lacking in warmth and body, and slightly gritty sounding in the treble as Art Dudley did. But there was a neato spaciousness and airiness to the sound, a real solidity of imaging, and a particular density and palpability to the sonic images, even though they were leaner than I would like.

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
yes but will they pass Jaws Dolby digital 5.1 tests ? better to get JBL cinema because only , Jaws Bites Low , JBL

10246293_10153368071170149_379518153587519657_n (2).jpg

MarkS

Major Contributor
Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes, they really sound as bad as they measure, I had the "joy" to listen to them at several audio shows, here I had written about it:

I have nothing against exotic concepts like wide band drivers or large horns when implemented well, I even enjoyed some Avantgarde Acoustic horns at shows.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Yes, they really sound as bad as they measure, I had the "joy" to listen to them at several audio shows, here I had written about it:

I have nothing against exotic concepts like wide band drivers or large horns when implemented well, I even enjoyed some Avantgarde Acoustic horns at shows.

Sometimes I mix up voxative with the Cube Audio Nenuphar speakers that I want to hear hear. Somewhat similar designs with the QA extends the base and I seem to remember measures more evenly. I can’t remember where I saw measurements maybe I misremembering.

That link to the earlier post had some comments by Art Dudley on the voxative speaker. I really like Dudley‘s writing, but he also managed to sometimes say some pretty opaque - if not outright silly - things about speakers and his descriptions.

Top Bottom