• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of Topping L30 Headphone Amp

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi John, I‘m in AU and ordered from ALA Audio / audiophile-store.com.au who seem to be a distributor of Topping according to website. However I got the EU plug with adaptor as well. Any way to order an AU transformer separately as the adaptor is a bit precarious.

That said it works fine it seems - any issue with using the EU wall supply with adaptor aside from the awkward positioning?

Loving the stack!
View attachment 76998
Thank you for the feedback.
It seems that we don't differentiate different types of distributors on the website. As far as I know A2A(addicted to audio) is the only direct distributor in AU. I'll talk to people here and get back to you.

Before that, there's a difference between the direct distributor giving you EU plug and indirect distributor doing so. The former means that either we supplied the wrong supply or they sourced power supplies that aren't from us directly without permission or something like that. Indirect distributors source their items from the upstream distributor.

NDC

Thank you for the feedback.
It seems that we don't differentiate different types of distributors on the website. As far as I know A2A(addicted to audio) is the only direct distributor in AU. I'll talk to people here and get back to you.

Before that, there's a difference between the direct distributor giving you EU plug and indirect distributor doing so. The former means that either we supplied the wrong supply or they sourced power supplies that aren't from us directly without permission or something like that. Indirect distributors source their items from the upstream distributor.

Thanks John - it’d be great to source an AU power supply somehow when they become available. Keep us posted. I’m just a bit worried about the plug staying in the socket of the adapter. I’m going to try and buy a better adaptor from Bunnings or similar that might hold it better in the mean time.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Yep ALA is the distributor for SHENZHENAUDIO. We supply different models to SHENZHENAUDIO before they sending to each down stream distributors and customers.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Thanks John - it’d be great to source an AU power supply somehow when they become available. Keep us posted. I’m just a bit worried about the plug staying in the socket of the adapter. I’m going to try and buy a better adaptor from Bunnings or similar that might hold it better in the mean time.
It will be guaranteed to have AU power brick if you buy from Addicted To Audio. Share with your friends that if they are going to buy Topping products buy from Addicted to Audio.
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/

NDC

It will be guaranteed to have AU power brick if you buy from Addicted To Audio. Share with your friends that if they are going to buy Topping products buy from Addicted to Audio.
https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/

Ah - that's a bit of a bummer; didn't know that before I ordered! Seems a bit of a tricky system for the customer to navigate. To be honest my experience with Addicted to Audio has not been very good - they never have anything in stock when I order and constantly have to refund me. Tried ordering different things from them three times in last three weeks - each time they don't have stock. Anyway, I might just be unlucky.

How can I source an AU power supply? Would A2A be able to sell it separately? Or can I order direct from Topping somehow? Happy to take it to PM if off topic.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Ah - that's a bit of a bummer; didn't know that before I ordered! Seems a bit of a tricky system for the customer to navigate. To be honest my experience with Addicted to Audio has not been very good - they never have anything in stock when I order and constantly have to refund me. Tried ordering different things from them three times in last three weeks - each time they don't have stock. Anyway, I might just be unlucky.

How can I source an AU power supply? Would A2A be able to sell it separately? Or can I order direct from Topping somehow? Happy to take it to PM if off topic.
Yes you can directly contact us for new power supply. Due to high demand, it's currently in shortage. However we expect to have them on Monday or at least next week. Contact our customer service so that we can arrange things for you.
Same for you guys as well. @zenki @akura

NDC

Yes you can directly contact us for new power supply. Due to high demand, it's currently in shortage. However we expect to have them on Monday or at least next week. Contact our customer service so that we can arrange things for you.
Same for you guys as well. @zenki @akura

Thanks John, that's great - I'll e-mail the service e-mail now. Much appreciated

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@JohnYang1997

Could you develop your meaning: Reducing the noise drastically can slightly make the sound more rounded, deeper, less "exciting"/irritating

Surely due to the foreign language; but I would understand irritating as negative, but "exciting" could be a positive word, like excited about good Goosebump music.
That's the beauty/ugliness of wording. Same change can be described both as Darker, Warmer, Having blanket on it. While I do not want people to think I was shilling the product I was just going to describe as objective as I could in both ways. So basically it's less aggressive in the top end.(slightly)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
And what about myself? Do Topping make the UK plug or not? If so, I’ve been given the wrong one and I’ll chase. If not then life moves on I guess and I’ll apply for a refund.
Did the seller contact you? From what I know. You can ask for a correct power supply from seller.
It's a different situation for you because the AU seller they were deal with shouldn't have L30 to begin with. There's something wrong there.
In your case, the seller should have and should give you the correct one so you can directly contact seller for a new supply. And I know we have contacted the seller on this matter.

iamwhoiam

Did the seller contact you? From what I know. You can ask for a correct power supply from seller.
It's a different situation for you because the AU seller they were deal with shouldn't have L30 to begin with. There's something wrong there.
In your case, the seller should have and should give you the correct one so you can directly contact seller for a new supply. And I know we have contacted the seller on this matter.
Many thanks John. That’s very clear now.

I’ll chase it up with the seller. Thanks to you and Topping for the help with it (even though I know you’re not their customer service!!). Appreciate it.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi @JohnYang1997 . Mine arrived today to UK :D

However, I have a similar issue. I bought my from Aoshida (Aliexpress) and have a similar situation about the plug.

Does Topping produce the UK-style 3-prong plug?

This doesn't seem ideal and has actually fallen out from the adapter already... When I get it to balance, it probably hangs 30 degrees :oops:, but will eventually fall out anyway.

Thanks in advance!

View attachment 76883
@JohnYang1997

I wouldn't like to burden, but how about a Notebook power supply "type" which makes it easy to adjust for every country. It's more power strip friendly as well aso .. Might be more expensive though .... :rolleyes: Powersupply.jpg

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
@JohnYang1997

I wouldn't like to burden, but how about a Notebook power supply "type" which makes it easy to adjust for every country. It's more power strip friendly as well aso .. Might be more expensive though .... :rolleyes:View attachment 77022
It's considered in the very beginning. A solution is just forming a day ago.
However at the time of designing L30. There wasn't an option. For single ended solution, the mains leakage with smps was just way too high for my pursuit of performance.(50 times higher mains noise).
I've measured supply noise of thx 789 and a90 somewhere on this forum.
external smps is the cheapest option btw
the bulky heavy transformer supply that can't work for both 220v and 110v was very not ideal in terms of economy.

Yuno

It's considered in the very beginning. A solution is just forming a day ago.
However at the time of designing L30. There wasn't an option. For single ended solution, the mains leakage with smps was just way too high for my pursuit of performance.(50 times higher mains noise).
I've measured supply noise of thx 789 and a90 somewhere on this forum.
external smps is the cheapest option btw
the bulky heavy transformer supply that can't work for both 220v and 110v was very not ideal in terms of economy.

I think what @Harmonie suggested is not about different technology but rather the design of power supply. Instead of making it wall wart you could make it into laptop style brick power supply with some connector, IEC for example, same as the one used in PC PSUs, that would allow people to source their own cable locally and issue would not exist.
I don't know if this kind of design would have any impact on the technical side of PSU and how much it changes in terms of cost.
As a side note, this would also allow people who need long cables to just put brick on the desk or something and source long power cable instead of messing around with extender cables. Obviously not for people with OCD who can't stomach PSU on desk.

Fawzay

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think what @Harmonie suggested is not about different technology but rather the design of power supply. Instead of making it wall wart you could make it into laptop style brick power supply with some connector, IEC for example, same as the one used in PC PSUs, that would allow people to source their own cable locally and issue would not exist.
I don't know if this kind of design would have any impact on the technical side of PSU and how much it changes in terms of cost.
As a side note, this would also allow people who need long cables to just put brick on the desk or something and source long power cable instead of messing around with extender cables. Obviously not for people with OCD who can't stomach PSU on desk.

Thank you @Yuno for translating my (European ?) mind
That's exactly it. Purely a design point of view, I leave humbly the technical point to the Master ;)

iamwhoiam

I think the best solution is for UK to change that connector.

The best solution involves removing every single electrical appliance from 30 million households and offices and rewiring the outlets in each? :rolleyes:

I don't think my government will be persuaded down this route so that I can pursue audio nirvana. I've started an online petition but it's only got one signature on it at the moment (and it's not even mine).

Whilst that's in the pipeline, thankfully Aoshida have agreed to post me a new UK wall plug.

:cool:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Why do you think I have not thought of that....
If you don't want such trade off get A90. While in A90 thread countless people asking why not just use an external supply.
If you can accept the power supply being 10 times the cost of the rest of the circuit then yes. And for a 200+ range product that's fine. But if it's 200-300, I can just use internal supply.
It was already a hard decision to make for external linear supply with a little trade off of issues in the supply or shipping cost.
Anyway, I don't need to talk much into the design. I'm the designer....of course all the possibility have been tried before making any decision.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Also A30pro is in the work. 789 price range with more power than 789's BAL out on just SE output, much lower noise and internal power supply.
If you can wait indefinitely there will always be something better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom