• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WolfX700 Measurement of Topping L30 Headphone Amp

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
If anyone is signing exclusive deal with A2A. I'm 100% for it. It's simply the best experience I've had when I was in Australia.
Just to tell you a story. Once I was buying final e4000. Found channel imbalance in bass. Went back to the store with my artificial ear. They literally opened 3 more new e4000s for me to get a matched pair.
That's the only store I go to ever since.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Absolutely appalling business ethics from topping. To advertise to buy from Addicted to audio. They have struck a deal for exclusive distributor in Aus. at the end of the day everyone is going to be paying more.
If you come back at me I can simply force my boss to stop suppling ALA FOREVER.

zenki

If anyone is signing exclusive deal with A2A. I'm 100% for it. It's simply the best experience I've had when I was in Australia.
Just to tell you a story. Once I was buying final e4000. Found channel imbalance in bass. Went back to the store with my artificial ear. They literally opened 3 more new e4000s for me to get a matched pair.
That's the only store I go to ever since.

Bought e3000 from amazon, Got ch. imbalance in ~2 weeks. Turned out to be a B-grade stock. Got the replacement and it turned out to be a worst refurb/C-grade. Why? Because it doesn't have bass compared to the first one.
Sad... because I actually like the IEM

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Bought e3000 from amazon, Got ch. imbalance in ~2 weeks. Turned out to be a B-grade stock. Got the replacement and it turned out to be a worst refurb/C-grade. Why? Because it doesn't have bass compared to the first one.
Sad... because I actually like the IEM
From information I got. The E series are designed and manufacturered in China. And the Japan part did't have the control/too much effort to control over the quality of production. I tried 3 e3000s too.(across 2 years) All of them have deviation in the bass. And my first pair turned out to be the best.(only 2db for whole bass region but still unacceptable)

Hai

Ordered from apos on july 28th, sadly hasn't been shipped yet. Apparently they'll start shipping the 10th, was hoping it'd be a bit earlier. Very excited!

I've ordered an L30 from A2A, and am expecting it to arrive in the next few days. I really don't have a problem with their exclusivity deals - they also have deals with Massdrop and Schiit, and I'm pretty sure their pricing has a lot more to do with the manufacturer than with A2A themselves. Massdrop (and Topping) products are always reasonably priced, while Schiit are not. Notably, they are selling the L30 $219, while the Magni 3+/Heresy costs $260!

I'm also more than happy to pay the ~$20 premium to purchase from a company with a physical storefront just down the road rather than buying off Aliexpress, the customer service experience I've had to A2A has always been excellent.

zenki

It's noticeable, it's not hot or as hot when it's running.
I assume it's on standby mode? (All switch down, vol. 0)

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
It's noticeable, it's not hot or as hot when it's running.
I assume it's on standby mode? (All switch down, vol. 0)
Maybe leave it over night and check next morning.
I mean. The control part of the circuit is still running. But I don't really think it would be noticeable. Probably it's not as stone cold as something else. I think it's normal.

naviivan

I've ordered an L30 from A2A, and am expecting it to arrive in the next few days. I really don't have a problem with their exclusivity deals - they also have deals with Massdrop and Schiit, and I'm pretty sure their pricing has a lot more to do with the manufacturer than with A2A themselves. Massdrop (and Topping) products are always reasonably priced, while Schiit are not. Notably, they are selling the L30 $219, while the Magni 3+/Heresy costs $260!

I'm also more than happy to pay the ~$20 premium to purchase from a company with a physical storefront just down the road rather than buying off Aliexpress, the customer service experience I've had to A2A has always been excellent.
i would buy from A2A instead of ebay and amazon, i know with ebay i’d get charged GsT if it’s coming from overseas and have to wait a long time for it to arrive

bahamot

I too rather pay local distributor even if it is more expensive (well as long as its price still reasonable). At least I know I don't have to send it back overseas if it had issues.

Quomz

The measurements seems to be very convincing but before getting the L30 as my first desktop head amp, I would like to make sure that I understand correctly what headphones the L30 can drive how loud. (I have currently Sennheiser HD650 and Fostex T50RP MK3).

If I understand in real-life application the input voltage level and gain of the L30 will be the limiting factor.
With 2V in and a gain of 9.5dB (factor of 2.985) the max output voltage would be ~6v. That would mean the loudness achieved can be:
- 118.5dB for Sennheiser (assuming 103dB/V, 98dB/mW)
- 119.5dB for the Fostex (assuming 104dB/V, 92dB/mW)

Is that correct?

Power shoould be enough too, for their sensitivities and resistence for these.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The measurements seems to be very convincing but before getting the L30 as my first desktop head amp, I would like to make sure that I understand correctly what headphones the L30 can drive how loud. (I have currently Sennheiser HD650 and Fostex T50RP MK3).

If I understand in real-life application the input voltage level and gain of the L30 will be the limiting factor.
With 2V in and a gain of 9.5dB (factor of 2.985) the max output voltage would be ~6v. That would mean the loudness achieved can be:
- 118.5dB for Sennheiser (assuming 103dB/V, 98dB/mW)
- 119.5dB for the Fostex (assuming 104dB/V, 92dB/mW)

Is that correct?

Power shoould be enough too, for their sensitivities and resistence for these.
Do you use headphones with high gain and max out the volume? If not, using gain to calculate power doesn't make practical sense. It will reach higher voltage when feeded higher voltage. Gain settings are chosen to be practical and usable.

If the answer is yes then get sp200 with se or 789/ a90 with balanced cable. But I may worry about your hearing.

Quomz

Do you use headphones with high gain and max out the volume? If not, using gain to calculate power doesn't make practical sense. It will reach higher voltage when feeded higher voltage. Gain settings are chosen to be practical and usable.

If the answer is yes then get sp200 with se or 789/ a90 with balanced cable. But I may worry about your hearing.

I didn't want to imply that I would like to listen that loud. I want to know how loud the L30 can get headphones and I was under the impression that voltage gives loudness. So max output voltage equals the maximal possible loudness?

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The front amplifier corrects the error produced by second amplifier using feedback.
Have you patented NFCA? I think you have mentioned that the approach is nothing new, but It’s your own design and implementation right?

Top Bottom