• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wireless listening and watching TV

rony

This is more a setup question than anything else. I am sure there are folks in a similar situation and how they solved it?
I am currently listening to music shows on TV, late at night on Bluetooth headphones, 15 feet away. I do not mind having a mini setup on a coffee table next to me but wiring all the way to TV is ruled out. Can I have some sort of bluetooth reciever/dac that will pull audio from TV (digital/analog) into which I can plugin a good set of wired headphones.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is more a setup question than anything else. I am sure there are folks in a similar situation and how they solved it?
I am currently listening to music shows on TV, late at night on Bluetooth headphones, 15 feet away. I do not mind having a mini setup on a coffee table next to me but wiring all the way to TV is ruled out. Can I have some sort of bluetooth reciever/dac that will pull audio from TV (digital/analog) into which I can plugin a good set of wired headphones.
Have you considered BT adapters such as Qudelix-5K, FiiO BTR5, Shanling UP4 that you can clip to your shirt pocket and plug your HPs/IEMs into? Alternating between two of them, while the other is being recharged, I achieve effectively infinite battery runtime. And they give you the same convenience of being able to move around freely as headphones with bluetooth built-in, while giving you free choice over the headphones you use.
Qudelix-5K Bluetooth DAC & Headphone Amp
FiiO BTR5 user thread

All this provided your TV has good enough BT transmission quality. If your TV has a S/PDIF Toslink optical or coaxial output which would have a higher bitrate, you may get better sound quality via BT for music listening by using a proprietary protocol by using a BT transmitter such as FiiO BTA30. How about FiiO BTA30 (transceiver) or Topping BC3 (receiver only) that you can plug into a desktop HP amp on your night-stand or coffee table?

If you are mostly listening to music shows while watching TV, then aptX LL (Low Latency of 40ms or better, which will minimize lip-sync type issues) may be the more important BT protocol to use. However, modern TVs (and Blu-ray players) often have a setting to delay/lag the video so that the audio and video are in sync, which allows you to use larger-latency higher-fidelity protocols such as aptX HD and LDAC without a distracting lip-sync issue, and with no need to drop down to aptX LL fidelity. Wi-Fi links would give you even greater bandwidth and much lower latency, but would use more power, and I am not familiar with these Wi-Fi audio protocols. Please read through to the end of the thread linked below for LDAC-specific solutions, in addition to aptX HD. Along with links to external webpages describing the various BT codecs available and their merits.
What about "Bluetooth emitters" ?

Last edited:
OP
R

rony

What about BT adapters such as Qudelix-5K, FiiO BTR5, Shanling UP4 that you can clip to your shirt pocket and plug your HPs/IEMs into? Alternating between two of them, while the other is being recharged, I achieve effectively infinite battery runtime.
Qudelix-5K Bluetooth DAC & Headphone Amp

All this provided your TV has good enough BT transmission quality. If your TV has a S/PDIF Toslink optical or coaxial output which would have a higher bitrate, you may get better sound quality via BT for music listening by using a proprietary protocol by using a BT transmitter such as FiiO BTA30. How about FiiO BTA30 (transceiver) or Topping BC3 (receiver only) that you can plug into a desktop HP amp on your night-stand or side-table?

If you are mostly listening to music shows while watching TV, then aptX LL (Low Latency of 40ms or better, which will minimize lip-sync type issues) may be the more important BT protocol to use. However, modern TVs (and Blu-ray players) often have a setting to delay/lag the video so that the audio and video are in sync, which allows you to use larger-latency higher-fidelity protocols such as aptX HD and LDAC without a distracting lip-sync issue, and with no need to drop down to aptX LL fidelity. Wi-Fi links would give you even greater bandwidth and much lower latency, but would use more power, and I am not familiar with these. Please read through the to the end of the thread linked below for LDAC-specific solutions instead of aptX HD.
What about "Bluetooth emitters" ?
Thank you very much for the detailed response! The thread has all the information I need.

faheem

Forum Donor
Qudilex doesn't use aptx ll, but the newer aptx adaptive. You can get BT transmitters alot cheaper and smaller than the fiio. Something like an Avantree Audikast. The most popular transmitters for tv use aptx ll which is noticeably better than anything else ,in latency.

Depending on headphone/iem, a BTR5 would be good enough and has equaliser or a Topping BC3 / Fiio BTR3K / Earstudio ES100 which are cheaper, smaller and lower powered. Personally I use an Xcan, 1watt of power ( in balanced ) in a package the size of a deck of cards.

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably not the solution you are looking for, but Roku has a headphone jack in the remote to allow you to do this. I haven't tried it but I can give it a go and give you an opinion on sound quality if you are interested.

JustAnandaDourEyedDude

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you very much for the detailed response! The thread has all the information I need.
The thread I linked "What about Bluetooth emitters?" is mostly about getting good quality BT from the USB port of a desktop or laptop computer to a BT adapter for headphones, but your TV does not have USB audio output. Your TV's built-in BT may be fine for you. But just in case you feel the need to use the aptX HD protocol for higher bitrate, and your TV has a S/PDIF Toslink optical or coaxial audio output port (or even just using its plain old 3.5mm aux audio jack), and you don't feel the need for an LDAC solution involving the more expensive FiiO BTA30 transmitter: you can find more economical suggestions (all around $40) for aptX HD and aptX LL transmitters in the following post:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...th-headphones-newb-question.20056/post-661109
I own the first one on that list (BANIGIPA) and it works great for me - the sound quality I receive on my Qudelix-5K and Earstudio ES100 from the BANIGIPA connected to my TV via Toslink optical cable is excellent.

Top Bottom