• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wire Measurements

MattJ

Hi folks, I did a search and didn't find anything on this. I ran across an article in Stereophile here https://www.stereophile.com/content/what-difference-wire-makes , discussing measured differences and their possible influences on sound. I found the article interesting, but as I'm not an EE or in any way mechanically inclined, it was about 50% gabble to me. Has anyone seen this before and does any of this seem valid? My own experience with speaker wire amounts to "big is better, and make sure it's all copper with good termination". Interconnects amount to "gold plated for corrosion resistance". Thoughts?

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Hi @MattJ, just type “Speaker Wire” into the Search window top right of screen. Read up. This topic has been covered more times than can be measured.

Welcome Aboard Matt!

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hi folks, I did a search and didn't find anything on this. I ran across an article in Stereophile here https://www.stereophile.com/content/what-difference-wire-makes , discussing measured differences and their possible influences on sound. I found the article interesting, but as I'm not an EE or in any way mechanically inclined, it was about 50% gabble to me. Has anyone seen this before and does any of this seem valid?
The gobbledygook of that article is explained rather well in one of the letters:
"The effects of a speaker cable, though measurable, are small compared to amplifier artifacts. Once again, we are left with clearly measurable differences between speaker cables, but no proof that these differences are audible."

Since an Audio Precision analyzer was used in the article, @amirm or someone like that might find it entertaining to try to decipher what happened.

Last edited:

Dial

Also try an acustica applicata volcano for 1795 euros.

Katji

Major Contributor
:D That's how you get from gabble to gobbledegook. :D

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Testing unterminated cables, like in that article, seems sort of pointless to me. If you care about such things, you terminate the cable. Here's a good read:

I put a 10 ohm resistor in series with a 0.1uF cap as a termination on my speaker cables, like Rod suggests. Perhaps I'm fooling myself that it helps, but I spent well under a dollar ;)

Speedskater

Major Contributor
Yes, a Zobel network at the speaker end of the cable can sometimes help. But it's more about the amplifier and loudspeaker than about the cable.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, a Zobel network at the speaker end of the cable can sometimes help. But it's more about the amplifier and loudspeaker than about the cable.
No, it won't fix an amp that's unhappy with the speaker impedance. But then no cable will.

Soandso

Being late to the world of the wired IEM scene it intrigues me how many adherents promote some superior original and/or after market cables. Testimonials commonly extoll some version of such cable's interior composition improving performance.

So I have a question for anyone here : Is there any reason IEM cables comprising perfectly adequate gauge wire of short length might be able to influence what the ears hear ? Having read many ASR posts and comments about cables I am skeptical reading IEM people describing superior sonic characteristics.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Being late to the world of the wired IEM scene it intrigues me how many adherents promote some superior original and/or after market cables. Testimonials commonly extoll some version of such cable's interior composition improving performance.

So I have a question for anyone here : Is there any reason IEM cables comprising perfectly adequate gauge wire of short length might be able to influence what the ears hear ? Having read many ASR posts and comments about cables I am skeptical reading IEM people describing superior sonic characteristics.
I very much doubt it, other than the suggestion that it might be better.

Audiofire

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

The answer of those who have expertise is that the only way to make a difference between copper and silver-plated BS is with misleading measurements or cognitive bias.

Top Bottom