• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 11 (Insider Preview)

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I also only buy the 80 Plus Gold or higher. I understand it's hard to get Gold certification using cheap parts, and stability is all about quality parts. My PSUs tend to last way longer than the 5-year standard in most OEM machines.
My old psu (Corsair CX750 Gray) was a 80 plus bronze and ran very well. Im sure if I built my pc better, that psu wouldve lasted past 5 years. Ive only had 1 bad experience with EVGA. I bought a cheap B stock 450 watt psu from EVGA for $20 usd. It worked good (in my brothers pc) for a few years until a few months ago, it would shut off underload. The fan died on it and the smell was strong. My father ordered another evga psu and never had problems with it since.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I also only buy the 80 Plus Gold or higher. I understand it's hard to get Gold certification using cheap parts, and stability is all about quality parts. My PSUs tend to last way longer than the 5-year standard in most OEM machines.
Unfortunately, the 80 Plus certification refers only to the power efficiency of the PSU, it doesn't really tell you much about its overall quality, the quallity of the components used, the likely longevity or the ripple and noise.

A nice long warranty is usually a good sign, some manufactures offer a 10 year warranty. Other than that look for a review from one of the sites that test throroughly and do a tear-down:

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Unfortunately, the 80 Plus certification refers only to the power efficiency of the PSU, it doesn't really tell you much about its overall quality, the quallity of the components used, the likely longevity or the ripple and noise.

A nice long warranty is usually a good sign, some manufactures offer a 10 year warranty. Other than that look for a review from one of the sites that test throroughly and do a tear-down:

I never went by the 80 plus standards, power is cheap in my area. My first psu (Corsair CX750 gray) I went by word of mouth, tier lists (that had backed data), amps ratings and wattage potential breathing room for future upgrades.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Pc update: I got the psu today and it solved my problem. Initially it first posted with a black screen but after a turn off, the gtx 1070 ti worked. With my old psu, the voltages across the board were fine but the hard drives acted really funny. The drives would show up in explorer but the capacity wouldnt show. I can click on them and after a minute, it would open. Im hoping this problem would go away after I fully install the new evga.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Windows 11 has been great so far. I've been having very small explorer issues but a simple restart with task manager fixes them. Another thing I noticed about Windows 11 is that some games can now only be downloaded through the xbox app, which is very odd. I'm certain Forza Horizon 5 will download through it.

So another update on my pc. You know how my pc died a few weeks ago, well I discovered that my hdmi port on my video card has died. I'm certain it was because of the active hdmi cable I had plugged into it. Now I was hoping to do it "laptop switch style" and route the graphics power to my motherboards hdmi port but I found out its limited to 4k 30hz (1.4 standard) with no HDR but the method does work well. I ended up buying a Club-3D displayport adapter. I heard good reviews on the company and the fact that I didn't want to experiment with cheaper versions. I'm just not a fan of these displayport adapter, most of them are garbage. I have 2 cheapo displayport adapters but there only limited to 1080p 60hz. Also even if you do get a cheap one that does 4k 60hz, the audio is messed up as I heard in reviews. I plan on doing the "split up" method (Even though the Club 3D can handle audio fine). One hdmi to the receiver (DVI to HDMI) and one directly to the tv (Via that Club 3D adapter). Is my graphics card weak with modern 4k gaming sure but I do love to play ps2 games in 4k and playing 4k HDR movies on it. I wouldn't mind having more displayport ports than hdmi ports on my nvidia card if it was cheap and easy to convert to hdmi like the good ol' DVI days. Maybe in the future we can ditch hdmi and everything can be displayport.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator

AMD and Microsoft release fixes for Ryzen slowdowns in Windows 11​

If you don't have the patch installed on your system already, it will appear as an optional update in Windows Update for Windows 11 Home and Pro users, Microsoft says. Otherwise, the update should roll out automatically in the next Patch Tuesday package.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Microsoft disabled "Thumbnail Folder Icons" in Windows 11:

One of my a few concerns with Windows 11 is that Microsoft disabled "Thumbnail Folder Icons";
WS002533.JPG

As an amateure photographer, I like the "Thumbnail Folder Icons", but Microsoft disabled it mainly because of quicker operation and protection of privacy, I assume. Even though I already did intensive web search to find "hidden ways" enabling "Thumbnail Folder Icons" in Windows 11, so far I could not find any solution.

I do hope they would make "Thumbnail Folder Icons" possible, at least as an "option", in the near future "Windows Update" for Windows 11...

Last edited:

Trell

Major Contributor
Good thing that Windows 10 is supported until October 2025 as none of my PC builds can run Windows 11. In that time I’ll build new ones, though, but no hurry as they currently work fine.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good thing that Windows 10 is supported until October 2025 as none of my PC builds can run Windows 11. In that time I’ll build new ones, though, but no hurry as they currently work fine.

Fully agree with you, but,,, if you would like to try, you may just try this to upgrade-install Windows 11 to any of your PCs running Windows 10. I did it successfully on four of my eight PCs all of them have no TPM, and some of them have insufficient CPUs.

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Try this:

Photos:
7379-93d5c150c748964021db06154165f02b.jpg

7380-504d16753a26e349b7a280bc720877fc.jpg

Thanks a lot for the info.

Yes, I already know about this third-party solution. I would like to wait for a while, however, until if Microsoft would provide within-OS solution(s) for entire Windows 11 hopefully(!) in coming Windows Updates.

Last edited:
OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

AMD and Microsoft release fixes for Ryzen slowdowns in Windows 11​

If you don't have the patch installed on your system already, it will appear as an optional update in Windows Update for Windows 11 Home and Pro users, Microsoft says. Otherwise, the update should roll out automatically in the next Patch Tuesday package.

I don't see anything in Optional Updates, this may be because i'm running an 'unsupported' 1st gen Ryzen. I downloaded and installed the Chipset Drivers from AMD instead.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Top Bottom