• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 11 (Insider Preview)

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's not going to happen easily (any other software can access the WSL filesystem when it has the correct access rights, WSL processes just turn up in Task manager where a user with access for it can kill them, etc), but I wonder what kind of interaction you'd like to prevent and how it makes things secure.

I don't think that is true for WSL2 which uses Hyper-V to run a full Linux virtual machine.

storing

Forum Donor
I would like to run my email software in WSL for exemple, so that I can open emails without beiing afraid it will install malware.
Despite the attack surface being larger on Windows, I'm not sure if there are still email clients around which go ahead and just run whatever is in an email. And no email client is going to protect you if you open random attachments without care :)

I am aware that a keylogger would be able to log stuff typed into a WSL program. but would it be usefull for an atacker? will he see that I am putting a password in a browser running in WSL?
Possibly, depends on how it's implemented; but if someone managed to install a keylogger on your system already you're screwed anyway, WSL or not.

what I mean is that I can close a Window, e.g. Spotify, and it will run in the background with a symbol in the system tray.
Spotify is a good example, cause once started I rarly need to acess the GUI. why have the GUI open?
Still not completely sure what you mean - if a window is minimized into the taskbar or tray it is out of your way. Depending on the exact implementation the GUI is hidden at that point. Yes it still has a handle so you could call that 'open', but most WMs do it like that and I don't see how that is a problem since you don't see the window? Now I don't use Spotify so perhaps it does something funny, don't know.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My employer was still running OS/2 Warp on an ancient IBM tape library up until last year when we finally got rid of it. It had a nice black and white LCD screen on it as well :)
LOL. I ran OS/2 Warp for a while. Mostly because I hated early Windows. Pure DOS was OK, but Windows was horrible, IMO. Always crashing. Problem with OS/2 was that it was really hardware intensive. To get it to work reasonably well you needed a lot of beef, and back then memory and processing were not cheap.

You could run DOS or even Win 3x on it. More or less. OS/2 config files were pretty hard core. However you could tweak to high heaven in order to get best performance. Drivers? Good luck with that. My package came with a stack of floppy disks (must have been at least eight or ten). I think it was compatible with my Dot Matrix printer!

I've been running Win 11 for the past couple of days. Seems as stable as 10, and just as fast, if not faster, subjectively. Cosmetically it has a 'lighter' look. So far no problems. Other than removing widgets, which are mostly a commercial for MS related products.

storing

Forum Donor
I don't think that is true for WSL2 which uses Hyper-V to run a full Linux virtual machine.
Individual processes indeed won't show up, but filesystem access still can go both ways.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
after 13 years of exclusivly Linux I am trying to get back to Windows.
I wonder how secure WSLg is though. To make the total switch I would need to be able to run a Linux software without exe software running beeing able to efect it.
other than that, how do windows users live without minimizing windows to system tray? it might sound stupid, because it doesn't seam to be a big deal. but it realy hurts productivity to have all running software in the taskbar
My newer PCs have so much processor power and RAM that all the visual special effects and opening windows does not seem to affect the PC at all unless I get like 60+ browser windows open simultaneously. I have a 6 core Intel i5-8600K and 16GB RAM

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
  • Supports AMD 3rd Gen Ryzen™/ 2nd Gen Ryzen™/ 1st Gen Ryzen™/ 2nd Gen Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ 1st Gen Ryzen™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics/ Athlon™ with Radeon™ Vega Graphics Processors
Here: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-Gaming-3-rev-1x#kf
"support the latest AMD Ryzen™ 3000 Processors and are backwards compatible with AMD Ryzen™ 2000 and 1000 Processors."

That's what I thought. The latest 4th gen 5600 or 5800 (the previous suggestion) will not work on that board.

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
"support the latest AMD Ryzen™ 3000 Processors and are backwards compatible with AMD Ryzen™ 2000 and 1000 Processors."

That's what I thought. The latest 4th gen 5600 or 5800 (the previous suggestion) will not work on that board.
Yes, looks like you're right: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-Gaming-3-rev-1x/support#support-cpu

I vaguely remember something about not all B450 motherboards being compatible with the Ryzen 5xxxx series either, unless theres a suitable BIOS update.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Yes, looks like you're right: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-Gaming-3-rev-1x/support#support-cpu

I vaguely remember something about not all B450 motherboards being compatible with the Ryzen 5xxxx series either, unless theres a suitable BIOS update.
I think I remember that theres some ryzen motherboards can update the bios without a cpu.
---------
I got my motherboard today. They slapped a label on the motherboard box and didn't even bother to put in the another box. Whats really wrong is that they throw the i/o shield in the same bag as the motherboard, so it was scratching against the mb. Luckily the motherboard ran fine. The major problem I have with this motherboard is that it won't pick up my GPU. I know for a fact that my GPU works as I put in my brothers pc to make sure it works, after all I didn't want a $500 paper weight. The one thing I liked about my old motherboard is that it had a good visual layout and it told me so much information. This god damn motherboard won't tell if anything is plugged into the PCI slots, only m.2, sata, cpu & memory. I can manage to get into windows 10 using the intergraded graphics and there's no PCI device listed in device manager. I plug in my sound card and thing works instantly, no problems at all. I'm hoping its my damn power supply and not the gpu. Tomorrow, I'm gonna put that gpu in my brothers pc again. With my gpu, the fans don't spin initially when its first powered on, but when I tried 4 different power cables in my pc, it did 2 things. 2 cables of the would act normal but the other would make my gpus fan spin instantly and stay on. Wish me luck.

Also if your curious intel PTT did work, tpm version 2.0

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just for my curiosity, and just at my private responsibilities and at my own risk, I "upgrade-installed" Windows 11 Pro 64 bit (Japanese) from Windows 10 Pro 64 bit running on my really old/outdated PC which is not used for daily operations.

The following description is not suggesting you trying the same, but just for your reference;

M/B: Asus P5Q Deluxe (no TPM)
CPU: Intel Core2Quad 9500 @ 2.83 Ghz
RAM: 16.0 GB
GPU:
ATI FirePro V4800 (FireGL) 1GB GDDR5 on PCI Express 2.0x16 RAMDAC:400 MHz
SSD: Intel SSDSC2MH120A2 110 GB NTFS: MBR boot OS Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, in AHCI: SATA3
HDDs: two of 4 TB HDD, two of 2 TB HDD, all in NTFS in AHCI: SATA3
Monitors: two of EIZO FlexScan EV2750 via DVI, 2560x1440 each, 5120x1440 desktop
Running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit in Local Account and the highest Administrator mode (I always hate Microsoft official account)

1. Download the Microsoft official "Windows 11 install DVD iso image" (5.04 GB) (with selection of Japanese language in my case)

2. Load the iso image into Virtual Clone-CD/DVD Drive
( you can also "open" the iso DVD image by Windows Explorer)

3. Copy all of the contents of the install DVD into data HDD's "D:\temporary_Win_11_install" folder

4. Eject the iso image DVD from the Virtual Clone-CD/DVD Drive

5. Delete the file "appraiserres.dll" in the "D:\temporary_Win_11_install\sources" folder
(maybe, I did not need this deletion, though.)

6. Edit the registry as follows (maybe, I did not need all of them, though);
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup]
”AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\LabConfig]
"BypassTPMCheck"=dword:00000001
"BypassSecureBootCheck"=dword:00000001
"BypassRAMCheck"=dword:00000001
"BypassCPUCheck"=dword:00000001

7. Open the "D:\temporary_Win_11_install" folder

8. Run/Execute the "setup.exe" with administrator rights

Edit: If you are asked whether to download updated installer files or not at the beginning of the installation, you should answer to it "no, not now!", otherwise the installer download the latest version with including "appraiserres.dll" which would reject your bypass preference.

Now, the "Windows 11 Pro" upgrade installation process started successfully.
At the end of the successful upgrade installation, my local account was also successfully inherited.
All of the hardware/software configurations remained just fine.
It looks all of the rather old devices and software (including all of the Microsoft Office 2010 software, JRiver MC 28, digital XO/DSP/EQ software EKIO, ASIO4ALL, etc., etc.) are just fine in operation.

Then I tried the "Windows Update" on the new Windows 11 Pro, and found at lease at present the latest cumulative update program for "Windows 11" (KB5005635) could be downloaded and successfully installed.

Last edited:

Apesbrain

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
To what extent does this new Microsoft News affect the normal operation of the PC? Is it hidden unless enabled? I bought a USB OEM version so I don't have to put up with stupid stuff and a now a new agent is included?

TimoJ

Just for my curiosity, and just at my private responsibilities and at my own risk, I "upgrade-installed" Windows 11 Pro 64 bit (Japanese) from Windows 10 Pro 64 bit running on my really old/outdated PC which is not used for daily operations.

The following description is not intending to recommend you to try the same, but just for your reference;

M/B: Asus P5Q Deluxe (no TPM module)
CPU: Intel Core2Quad 9500 @ 2.83 Ghz
RAM: 16.0 GB
GPU:
ATI FirePro V4800 (FireGL) 1GB GDDR5 on PCI Express 2.0x16 RAMDAC:400 MHz
SSD: Intel SSDSC2MH120A2 110 GB NTFS: MBR boot OS Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, in AHCI: SATA3
HDDs: two of 4 TB HDD, two of 2 TB HDD, all in NTFS in AHCI: SATA3
Monitors: two of EIZO FlexScan EV2750 via DVI, 2560x1440 each, 5120x1440 desktop
Running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit in Local Account and the highest Administrator mode (I always hate Microsoft official account)

1. Download the Microsoft official "Windows 11 install DVD iso image" (5.04 GB) (with selection of Japanese language in my case)

2. Load the iso image into Virtual Clone-CD/DVD Drive
( you can also "open" the iso DVD image by Windows Explorer)

3. Copy all of the contents of the install DVD into data HDD's "D:\temporary_Win_11_install" folder

4. Eject the iso image DVD from the Virtual Clone-CD/DVD Drive

5. Delete the file "appraiserres.dll" in the "D:\temporary_Win_11_install\sources" folder
(maybe, I did not need this deletion, though.)

6. Edit the registry as follows (maybe, I did not need all of them, though);
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\MoSetup]
”AllowUpgradesWithUnsupportedTPMOrCPU"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\LabConfig]
"BypassTPMCheck"=dword:00000001
"BypassSecureBootCheck"=dword:00000001
"BypassRAMCheck"=dword:00000001
"BypassCPUCheck"=dword:00000001

7. Open the "D:\temporary_Win_11_install" folder

8. Run/Execute the "setup.exe" with administrator rights

Now, the "Windows 11 Pro" upgrade installation process started successfully.
At the end of the successful upgrade installation, my local account was also successfully inherited.
All of the hardware/software configurations remained just fine.
It looks all of the rather old devices and software (including all of the Microsoft Office 2010 software, JRiver MC 28, digital XO/DSP/EQ software EKIO, ASIO4ALL, etc., etc.) are just fine in operation.

Then I tried the "Windows Update" on the new Windows 11 Pro, and found at lease at present the latest cumulative update program for "Windows 11" (KB5005635) could be downloaded and successfully installed.
Or just use this to do Win10->Win11 upgrade with old hardware and no TPM:

jcarys

To what extent does this new Microsoft News affect the normal operation of the PC? Is it hidden unless enabled? I bought a USB OEM version so I don't have to put up with stupid stuff and a now a new agent is included?
Widgets takes up 129MB of memory, which is a waste since I'm not using it. But with it running in the background I'm getting 0% CPU use. If it's taking anything more significant in resources, I can't see it. The app is hidden unless you choose to use it. I'm sure eventually someone will figure out how to turn it off entirely or disable it. My overall experience with Win11 has definitely been positive, it works just as well as 10 did for me.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I think the "drag and drop modded appraiserres.dll" is the best and quickest.
-----------------
In terms of what I found how about my pc. Im 85% sure its the power supply failing. Integrated graphics work, motherboard super stable, creative pcie card sound card worked, amd r9 360 (no extra power needed) worked. I tried my main gpu (gtx 1070 ti) in my brothers again and it ran like a dream. So thats how I came to the conclusion.

In terms of buying power supplies, its a shit show. So many 4 star review psu's on amazon (brands like evga) and yet theres always the one top voted review about it exploding. I saw a listing about my psu and about it exploding (which mine is about 4 yrs old). I ended up getting a "evga supernova gt 650w". I seen lots of posts say "avoid evga" but i seen the same posts about my old psu brand, Corsair. My old psu dying is my fault but techinally it still works somehow. I am thankful that my asrock motherboard and my old psu saved my critical parts.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In terms of buying power supplies, its a shit show. So many 4 star review psu's on amazon (brands like evga) and yet theres always the one top voted review about it exploding. I saw a listing about my psu and about it exploding (which mine is about 4 yrs old). I ended up getting a "evga supernova gt 650w". I seen lots of posts say "avoid evga" but i seen the same posts about my old psu brand, Corsair.
Don't shop for power supplies based on Amazon reviews.

I used to browse Johnny Guru's site, lately it's been Anandtech

Gamers Nexus probably covers them as well, though I haven't confirmed that.

The brands I use:

Corsair
EVGA SuperNova G2

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Don't shop for power supplies based on Amazon reviews.

I used to browse Johnny Guru's site, lately it's been Anandtech

Gamers Nexus probably covers them as well, though I haven't confirmed that.

The brands I use:

Corsair
EVGA SuperNova G2
I saw that gamersnexus had a stress test video about the evga supernova gt 750

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also only buy the 80 Plus Gold or higher. I understand it's hard to get Gold certification using cheap parts, and stability is all about quality parts. My PSUs tend to last way longer than the 5-year standard in most OEM machines.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I also only buy the 80 Plus Gold or higher. I understand it's hard to get Gold certification using cheap parts, and stability is all about quality parts. My PSUs tend to last way longer than the 5-year standard in most OEM machines.
I bought a Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB 850W Gold Full Modular power supply and it comes with a 10 year warranty. It had a full test done at one of the power supply testing websites that do that and it tested OK. That 10 year warranty is nice.

Top Bottom