• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 11 (Insider Preview)

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
If it'll let you. I couldn't update through it because my cpu wasn't supported. If do the modded upgrade path, you can revert back to windows 10 in the 10 day period if you dont like w11.
My CPU, a Ryzen 3700X, is supported and I have TPM enabled in the BIOS.

If I do it, I might take my time and do a clean install - it's a good way of having a tidy up.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
At your own risk and responsibility, try this to bypass TPM, CPU, RAM and Secure Boot checks.

Trell

Major Contributor
My CPU, a Ryzen 3700X, is supported and I have TPM enabled in the BIOS.

If I do it, I might take my time and do a clean install - it's a good way of having a tidy up.

I would have waited a couple of months at least to upgrade to Windows 11 for the patches Microsoft will release to fix bugs.

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I don't think there are any compelling reasons to upgrade at this time other than having a 'shiny new thing' on your desktop. I find the new Start Menu pretty annoying and have resorted to Start11 to get the Windows 10 style back (which i'd just got used to after 7 years!).

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I don't think there are any compelling reasons to upgrade at this time other than having a 'shiny new thing' on your desktop. I find the new Start Menu pretty annoying and have resorted to Start11 to get the Windows 10 style back (which i'd just got used to after 7 years!).
Who doesn't like a shiny new thing? :)

I don't know about the start menu itself, but I'll definately be moving it back to the left corner of the screen.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
About the CPU requirements:
afaik their reasoning is that the older ones can cause stability problems, and that they wont give any suport if they do. it doesn't mean that they wont run win11 though.

BTW: coming from 13 years Linux, running KDE on Arch I love WIN11. it's great and I never looked back to Linux again. Last time I ran WIN it was XP

TimoJ

Who doesn't like a shiny new thing? :)

I don't know about the start menu itself, but I'll definately be moving it back to the left corner of the screen.
Win11 start menu is pretty much ruined vs. Win10. But even worse is taskbar, in Win11 it shows just program icons and you can't change it to show text labels. So to get Win11 back to usable state, you have to use utilities like Explorer Patcher and Start11 to fix these stupid changes MS made. But extra utilities can cause issues and Start11 isn't working as good as the original Win10 start menu. It's better to stay in Win10 and hope MS reverts some things...

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Win11 it shows just program icons and you can't change it to show text labels.
That's not a deal-breaker for me, I only show icons in the task bar anyway:

1635933247832.png

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Win11 start menu is pretty much ruined vs. Win10. But even worse is taskbars...

I wouldn't say it is 'ruined'. Just not as user oriented and adaptable as what came before. But since when has MS ever been concerned about users?

11 sort of reminds me of my 'old' days with Linux. KDE was very configurable, and then there was Gnome, which was locked down with a 'my way or the highway' attitude. With Gnome you could edit its config file in order to make some minor changes. I've read that with Win 11 you can go in to the Registry to make some user interface changes. But anytime you have to make Reg edits to get something usable, you know it's probably not worth the trouble, and you just learn to live with it.

PS: I don't know how it is with KDE and Gnome now. FWIW, the coolest desktop I used was Windomaker, which had that NeXTSTEP look going for it. I don't know why I like that. And there was a feature on KDE that let you turn the desktop into a cube and rotate it. Stuff like that was a useless time killer, but curious.

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Does anyone know how to get the time/date toolbar to "click and display" seconds? That happened on WIN10, but clicking just brings up the calendar on 11. It makes it more difficult to set my watches.

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
Well, I've been using W11 for a few days now and it's nice enough, but the Start menu is definitely a backwards step.

If you get rid of the news widget nonsense and the don't display recommended or recent files, it just leaves a big blank space:

1636382998774.png

:facepalm:

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
... but the Start menu is definitely a backwards step.
You'd think that MS would have learned something when they screwed up the Win 8 menu so badly. But they don't care. Why should they? It's not like anyone is going to migrate to OS/2 anymore. LOL

To tell you the truth, I don't know if they really thought this thing through, or just got lazy and said, 'whatever', or are making these frustrating decisions on purpose, simply to screw with users, and then have a laugh over beers, after work. But that's been the MS way pretty much forever.

If I was cynical, I'd say that the 'time' thing was broken inadvertently when the company was programming one of their NSA back doors, and that caused an unintended conflict. But really, no one can figure out the why of a lot MS decisions. Even simple 'money grubbing' on the company's part doesn't explain it all.

I've said it before: if MS was smart, they'd remove features, and then offer a monthly subscription 'add on' pack in order for users to get them back.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
if MS was smart, they'd remove features, and then offer a monthly subscription 'add on' pack in order for users to get them back.
Nooooooooo! Lol... I think I'll wait till the last moment to upgrade to Win11 even though my desktop is Win11 compatible or until MS releases major updates.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
To tell you the truth, I don't know if they really thought this thing through, or just got lazy and said, 'whatever', or are making these frustrating decisions on purpose, simply to screw with users, and then have a laugh over beers, after work. But that's been the MS way pretty much forever
I know it's fun to joke about it, but it's actually a result of a lot of iteration and focus group work.

This forum caters to power users, who are probably not the target audience. It's tough to find a balance, but it's not impossible...

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, I've been using W11 for a few days now and it's nice enough, but the Start menu is definitely a backwards step.

If you get rid of the news widget nonsense and the don't display recommended or recent files, it just leaves a big blank space:

View attachment 164094

:facepalm:
You're removing what was there then complaining about empty space? Really? :facepalm:

With that said, I'll probably wait a few more months to see what changes are made from user feedback.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I know it's fun to joke about it, but it's actually a result of a lot of iteration and focus group work. This forum caters to power users, who are probably not the target audience. It's tough to find a balance, but it's not impossible...
I don't get that at all. How is removing an already programmed feature, a feature that at least some people use and expect, something that should even be up for a 'focus group'? I mean, it's already there, for crying out loud. Is it reasonable that a focus group debated the removal of the second ticker from the taskbar clock? Is that even a possible or probable scenario? Is a second hand on a clock something only for power users? I mean, can anyone imagine Rolex, or even Timex, removing the second hand from their watches?

I think it's just another goofy MS thing, that no one can understand or figure out.

But maybe you are right. Could have been a group decision. If it was the result of a group, I can only speculate how it went down. Must have been a real doozy of a meeting. Below is my take on what likely happened. As a preface, any similarity to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events, is purely coincidental.

Bill: OK, I called this high level management meeting today so we can discuss a very important Windows 11 issue. That is, should we remove the second ticker from the little digital clock on the taskbar? I'll go first. I vote to remove it. My wife is divorcing me, and she was a big fan of the feature. She always complained about how I was hanging out with Jeff and Ghisla, and knew the time I'd spent down to the second. The very second I tell you! So I vote we remove it."

"Ok... you're next, Steve. What's on your mind?"

At this point, participant Steve throws off his sport coat, jumps on top of the table, balls his hands into fists, and starts madly and wildly dancing around the table top, shouting Developers, Developers, Developers over and over. Finally collapsing in his chair, out of breath and sweating profusely. Everyone at the meeting is totally embarrassed at his bizarre antics, but is afraid to say anything, biting their lips to keep from laughing out loud. Disgusted, Bill throws something across the room, forcefully reminding Steve that the group is really looking for an opinion about the second hand on the clock. Steve immediately yells out, "Do you know that Linux is a cancer that attaches itself to any IP it touches? Did you know that? It's a goddamned cancer, I tell you!. That's what's really important. Why are you asking me about a stupid clock?"

Bill rolls his eyes, turns to Sat, asking him what he thinks about it?

As if waking up from a trance, Sat replies, "What do I think? About what, Bill?"

"The clock, Sat. What about the clock?

Satya looks at his watch and says, "Yeah. You're right... it's about lunch time for sure. There's a new Asian restaurant not too far from here. And I've been meaning to try it out. Food's supposed to be very spicy. What say we all break off for lunch and check out the Pasanda? No sense in wasting valuable seconds, chit chatting..."

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
You're removing what was there then complaining about empty space? Really?
Yes, really.

If there's nothing there, why not just collapse that section to be the required height, rather than a blank space, like this:

1636399078969.png

Or, possibly like this, if you must leave the "Recommended" section visible, even if empty:

1636399236000.png

Attachments

• 1636399070096.png
    1636399070096.png
    391.8 KB · Views: 53

TimoJ

I know it's fun to joke about it, but it's actually a result of a lot of iteration and focus group work.
Since their current focus group is dumbed-down, what should power users do? Forget Windows 11? Use patches and utilities to get it back to usable state?

Top Bottom