• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Windows 11 (Insider Preview)

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is anyone else running it? I've had it installed for a week with no issues (in place upgrade from Windows 10 21H2). I'm struggling a little with the new Start Menu, but it all seems to work fine from an audio perspective (ASIO drivers, eAPO, PEACE, MusicBee, Spotify, etc.).

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you mess with the settings so that it looks like Windows 10 (Start Menu, etc.)?

Edit: not difficult.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Can you mess with the settings so that it looks like Windows 10 (Start Menu, etc.)?
I read that the start menu and taskbar cannot be placed on the sides of the desktop or top. Only the bottom is allowed.

OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
Berwhale

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Edit: actually, it seems impossible to put it on the sides though.

Not according to the article I linked to...

For quick reference, check out the values and their corresponding taskbar position below:
  • 00 – Left Taskbar
  • 01 – Top Taskbar
  • 02 – Right Taskbar
  • 03 – Bottom Taskbar

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not according to the article I linked to...

For quick reference, check out the values and their corresponding taskbar position below:
  • 00 – Left Taskbar
  • 01 – Top Taskbar
  • 02 – Right Taskbar
  • 03 – Bottom Taskbar
You are right, but then I don't understand these two sentences:

"However, as of the first Windows 11 preview build, the Windows Explorer crashes as soon as you set the value as 01 or 02." --> so on top and on the right don't work?

"For now, this workaround won’t let you set the taskbar to the left, but it remains to be seen if that changes in future Insider builds. " --> and now left neither??

Honken

I wouldn't mind a centered start menu on my Windows machine as I'm using a 55" monitor for that system, the corners are pretty far away with a display like that. But with a regular sized laptop or desktop screen? Eh, just seems like change for the sake of changing. If they really want to mix the UI up for the better, get a launcher built in to the UI like MacOS use(d?, I don't use Mac so I'm not sure). Seems much more ergonomical to me.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This 11 should be the version where they implement a bunch of weird stuff that makes everyone mad, and after much criticism, they fix them in the next version. So I will just skip this one and wait for version 12. :)

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
What are the ostensible benefits of Windows 11?

This 11 should be the version where they implementation a bunch of weird stuff that makes everyone mad, and after much criticism, they fix them in the next version. So I will just skip this one and wait for version 12. :)

Well, historically, yeah.
Glad I stuck with Microsoft Bob.
:cool:

1629330898753.png

EDIT:
PS - the quoted post above from @Matias doesn't augur well for Windows 13, does it? :rolleyes:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What are the ostensible benefits of Windows 11?
There is new hardware security stuff in the newer hardware/processors and Win11 takes advantage of that. Unfortunately if your old PC processor does not have that security feature it cannot install Win11. One may use the PC Health Check app to see if your current PC meets the requirements to run Windows 11. If so, you can get a free upgrade when it rolls out. Unfortunately Microsoft took down the web page with the PC Health Check app. Microsoft advises that the PC Health check app will be coming back soon. I ran it and my desktop PC can run Win11 but the notebook cannot. So in 2005 I think support for Win10 will cease and all Win10 pooders will be vulnerable Is what I read.

eriksson

Forum Donor
There is new hardware security stuff in the newer hardware/processors and Win11 takes advantage of that. Unfortunately if your old PC processor does not have that security feature it cannot install Win11.
Yeah, hardware requirements for these new and fancy operating systems just keep on rising. :facepalm:

The Linux world is similar story, few months ago I had to go to my local recycling yard and pick up "new" PC. My 13 year old, intel Core 2 duo machine wasn't cutting it anymore on the interwebs or playing HD vids. Thankfully, I found one with promising features, like a sticker "Intel inside" and after taking better look I found HDMI port and saw evidence of some of these new technologies. So I brought it home and blew the dust out of it, threw away the HD containing totally garbled up Windows operating system, and installed SSD with fresh Linux distro. Thankfully, after all this trouble and expense of $30 for the SSD - this new machine runs good! It's sporting Intel i5 2500 and 6 gigs of ram (!) :)

Sarcasm aside: I am actually posting this on the above machine. And IMHO Windows has "lost it" when it comes to resource management.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
IMHO Windows has "lost it" when it comes to resource management.
When the majority of people figure out that their hardware will be outdated and obsoleted by Microsoft's new security requirement and they won't receive security updates on their Win10 pooders too they are going to be very annoyed about junking their more than adequate pooder(s).

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
The taskbar at the bottom was a stupid idea from day one. Just plain dumb, especially when all the functions within the applications are accessed from the top. Mine has been moved to the top since win95.

Top Bottom