• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wilson LōKē Subwoofer

3125b

Major Contributor
To be fair, the sub seems design and measures well.
Sure, with an off the shelf DSP plate amp anyone can build a decent sub.
This does nothing a 500$ SVS, Monoprice or whatever can't do. Well, at least the other 8500$ get's you a fancy paint job.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Sure, with an off the shelf DSP plate amp anyone can build a decent sub.
This does nothing a 500$ SVS, Monoprice or whatever can't do. Well, at least the other 8500$ get's you a fancy paint job.

This thread is the best and worst of ASR in concise form. On the one hand we have to @HammerSandwich picking the plate amp component in the first post and @RayDunzl providing well-liked photo confirmation almost as quickly. Nicely done. On the other we have endless hand-wringing and vapid ventilating about the luxury price.

You can certainly get a 10" sub in a black ash box for a small fraction of that. Or multiples of same plus a DSP box with ample change, or a pair of SVS PB16 for likely deeper bass and certainly higher SPL. But that aren't going to match your Tune Tots or Sabrinas.

On the price, well it's also a fashion item and a luxury good. I expect it has immaculate fit and finish and pleasantly weighty tactility from the likely over-engineered x-material fabrication. It's also a fairly big f*cker and the ported design is probably decently executed so I expect the sonics are quite satisfactory. Be more than happy you can get similar performance for significantly less if you don't desire an aesthetic match to the Wilson main speakers you are never going to buy.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
But that aren't going to match your Tune Tots or Sabrinas.
What does mean that?
Do you mean by the looks?
20a0b3_43dc6cc67a484fe4a47d09de9cbb2fa4~mv2.jpg

Axo1989

Major Contributor
What does mean that?
Do you mean by the looks?
20a0b3_43dc6cc67a484fe4a47d09de9cbb2fa4~mv2.jpg

Oh yes, the visual aesthetic, I didn't mean the sound (although I'd expect straightforward matching there as well, some stuff about crossover settings in their promo text). They look good with the fabric grilles/covers on I reckon (if you have that sort of decor) not so much with them off. I'm still mildly surprised by how large the cabinet is, but ported will do that (look at SVS ported vs sealed, etc).

Screenshot 2023-10-06 at 11.47.59 am.png

moonlight rainbow dream

Why are people assuming that it's a well-tuned enclosure/port?

Look at this! Just look at it! Absolutely massacred the bass performance of a driver that's renowned for its ability to go down to 40hz with authority in a small bookshelf form factor.

index.php

racingpht

Why are people assuming that it's a well-tuned enclosure/port?

Look at this! Just look at it! Absolutely massacred the bass performance of a driver that's renowned for its ability to go down to 40hz with authority in a small bookshelf form factor.

index.php
Because it's been measured.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The challenge for the reviewer looking to determine the Lōkē’s value proposition will be to source another £9k-ish subwoofer for a direct A/B comparison — not an easy task.

Lol, how about "literally any 10" 500w ported sub" for a comparison instead?

I will give credit where credit is due though. Wilson's paintjobs and product photography are among the best in the business. And, I am not being sarcastic here. I used to do the product renderings when I was in the low end of this market. I know as well as anyone, looks matter and are worth something, and marketing visuals count for a lot.

For almost $11K US though, you'd hope they would at least go for a Pascal or Hypex plate amp instead of parts express though... nothing wrong with parts express but it doesn't aim for SOTA or top-of-the-heap, you know? A bit of a slap in the face... maybe their dealers have crazy margins, I dunno...

Last edited:

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This thread is the best and worst of ASR in concise form. On the one hand we have to @HammerSandwich picking the plate amp component in the first post and @RayDunzl providing well-liked photo confirmation almost as quickly. Nicely done. On the other we have endless hand-wringing and vapid ventilating about the luxury price.

You can certainly get a 10" sub in a black ash box for a small fraction of that. Or multiples of same plus a DSP box with ample change, or a pair of SVS PB16 for likely deeper bass and certainly higher SPL. But that aren't going to match your Tune Tots or Sabrinas.

On the price, well it's also a fashion item and a luxury good. I expect it has immaculate fit and finish and pleasantly weighty tactility from the likely over-engineered x-material fabrication. It's also a fairly big f*cker and the ported design is probably decently executed so I expect the sonics are quite satisfactory. Be more than happy you can get similar performance for significantly less if you don't desire an aesthetic match to the Wilson main speakers you are never going to buy.
Great post.

These are not in my budget range (and I would want two) and I don't even think I would be buying them if I had the fiscal wherewithal, but the "This causes me mental anguish and should not be tolerated" tripe smells of month old menudo.

If a subwoofer can elicit such umbrage, the old adage about getting a life become apt.

Relax, fellow audiophiles. Hobby, not death march.

Top Bottom