• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wilson LōKē Subwoofer

elberoth

This thread from ASR from @elberoth, who unfortunately hasn't posted here for a while:
I do post here :)

3125b

Major Contributor
Thanks but I'll have this instead, price is similar enough :facepalm:
1659546442320.png

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Honestly, I bet this is to appeal to those that think, "Everybody has a sub. But I have a top-of-the-line sub!" Charge exorbitantly and their hopes are verified.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The ultimate injustice would be if the cabinet is just one of the DIY knock-down boxes available from PE :D

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm, LōKē means World in Hawaiian apparently?

I particularly like the Urban dictionary version:

41B7DD07-CD5B-4805-AC83-BFB6445423BD.jpeg

I bet it’s going to be an abusive relationship :facepalm:

In Dutch, one could speak this as the word “leuke”, which means someone like “nice one”, although “leuk” is one of those Dutch words that cannot be fully translated ;).

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Hmm, LōKē means World in Hawaiian apparently?

I particularly like the Urban dictionary version:

View attachment 222149
I bet it’s going to be an abusive relationship :facepalm:

In Dutch, one could speak this as the word “leuke”, which means someone like “nice one”, although “leuk” is one of those Dutch words that cannot be fully translated ;).
It probably means scam in some other language.

Sokel

Master Contributor
I wonder who makes the chassis https://hifilounge.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Screenshot-2022-03-08-at-10.45.49.png

I know they usually get their chassis from Scan Speak but nothing in their lineup fits. Note the large dust cap and the blueish tint of the membrane. Also the the distinct cutouts for the screws.

e: Nevermind. "That driver is no off-the-shelf number. It’s designed and manufactured in-house and tuned by Wilson Audio engineers to work in conjunction with the subwoofer’s “port configuration”. "

Sure looks like the 26w_4558,except from the dust cup.

1659549908335.jpeg

DanielT

Major Contributor
It is an active subwoofer with a 10 sub bass driver.With probably is sensible and good in itself, the sub driver.
Sure a sub like that costs $ but not by a long shot as much like £9000/$7500.

Unnecessarily heavy, HiFi stupid too heavy sub, but I'll leave it at that.

Edit:
12-15 mm plywood.For sub, that's sufficient. Firmly braced, see attached picture. In this way, you push up resonance frequencies and cut them off around 80 dB with a steep LP- filter.
No moff, filling in subwoofer. Unnecessarily. Only reduces efficiency.
Well constructed ported always beats sealed sub. Note the well constructed ported.

Edit :
Just to show. This driver, 15 inches bass driver. $100 used for sure but according to the seller barely used.:)

20220803_212148988.jpeg

Attachments

• Sealed CSS with SPA1000 alternate (2).jpg
    Sealed CSS with SPA1000 alternate (2).jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220803_211033515.jpeg
    20220803_211033515.jpeg
    85.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 321ec76862343fbe6edd4c735e86afdc.jpg
    321ec76862343fbe6edd4c735e86afdc.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

ta240

Major Contributor
Honestly, I bet this is to appeal to those that think, "Everybody has a sub. But I have a top-of-the-line sub!" Charge exorbitantly and their hopes are verified.

and that likes the look of it as well as wanting a salesperson that will treat them like they are royalty.

It is also for the people that don't blink at that amount of money. I saw a show where people would use private jets to fly their dogs around the world to see them. The guy that was processing it at customs said the trip, with the dog as the only passenger, likely cost them $25,000.

And finally, it is probably also for the interior decorator. On an interior design show they picked speakers based off of what went with the design, they didn't listen to any of them.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Performance is terrible, not even mediocre. Any decent SVS will destroy it.

DanielT

Major Contributor
That is probably the usual and, in my opinion, the unusual thing about HIFi.

Brand sells. Branded watches for example. Everyone understands that. Someone who wants to show off their nice watch. I understand, I do not moralize. Buy what you want as long as you like it are satisfied and happy.:)

What I don't understand is WTF is an ugly subwoofer (all subwoofers are ugly, black monoliths in the living room) for kind of status marker? Who the hell is going to notice a sub?

Vacceo

Major Contributor
That is probably the usual and, in my opinion, the unusual thing about HIFi.

Brand sells. Branded watches for example. Everyone understands that. Someone who wants to show off their nice watch. I understand, I do not moralize. Buy what you want as long as you feel like it and are satisfied and happy.:)

What I don't understand is WTF is an ugly subwoofer (all subwoofers are ugly, black monoliths in the living room) for kind of status marker? Who the hell is going to notice that sub?
I assure you anyone will notice a Gotham. Probably for all the reasons you don't want them to notice and none of them, good.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I assure you anyone will notice a Gotham. Probably for all the reasons you don't want them to notice and none of them, good.
At the pub:
You know, this week I got my LōKē.
Guaranteed rolling in bed straw with that lady ...not. )

To the manager:
You know, this week I got my LōKē.
Guaranteed promotion...not. :)

Edit:
There is nothing in life that is completely guaranteed, but let's say increased chances, or not? The scenario with the woman who is flirted with in the pub in for bed happiness chances? My guess: On the contrary, it decreases when talk of subwoofers is introduced.:oops:

Having said that. There are women who like nerds, and in the same way guys who like women despite their nerd tendencies.What bizarre hobbies they can have.:oops: I can develop this, although it will probably be quite nerdy then. I'm just kidding now. These are probably mostly thoughts for teenagers and young people. We older people completely ignore it. It is what it is. You just ignore it. She gets to tinker with her shit without you giving a shit. So to speak.:)

Last edited:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Years ago I rember teaching a student that had around a dozen pairs of Lobuitin stilettos. Each pair was worth more than what I made in a year, but they were still shoes. Wilson speakers make me feel similar.

Axo1989

Major Contributor

racingpht

To be fair, the sub seems design and measures well.

The port opening is huge(measured by picture, it's got the same port area as a 13cm diameter tube), yet tuning is very low: 20hz. If it were a straight port, the length will have to be way longer than 1 meter.

What does it mean? Meaning the sub will have very good extension from below 20hz, and have very low port noise. It's easy to enable 100db output at 20hz, anechoic 1m.
images

Many similar sized slot ported subwoofer have much worse extension, because a straight slot port can only be as long as depth of the subwoofer. For example, the massive Focal Sub12 has a tuning frequency of 30hz or so, the lowest 20hz frequency will be mostly missing.

One interesting thing is in the review, the Dayton amp was indeed mentioned.

Top Bottom