• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wilson LōKē Subwoofer

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Apparel and footwear can definitely have some truly high prices and sometimes for not very good quality of construction with some of the high end designer stuff. I used to have several clients in that business, I was often amazed at the relatively poor quality for the money....but the idea of exclusivity could command some obscene pricing as well as much convincing/selling the customer as to how good they looked in it :)

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
Coming from a lawyer, that's sayin somethin.
I have separated a lot of fools from their money, but none of those fools were my clients, at least.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you look at the manuals for both, the feature menus are the same and the system block diagrams are the same. Except that the graphics are cleaner in the Dayton manual. There are some very slight differences in a few of the specifications but most are identical or nearly equal.

HeadDoc12

No specs on Wilson's website, even in the specs section. Either they struggled to get down (or close) to 20 Hz even with a 10-inch woofer and 500 watts of amplification (which would be shameful), and they are embarrassed that they are charging an obscene amount of $ for a weak sub, OR they reach below 20 Hz easily, and Wilson doesn't want to hurt the sales of their other (more expensive) subs. Either way, Wilson is a ridiculous company, like Zu for people with unlimited funds.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder who makes the chassis https://hifilounge.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/Screenshot-2022-03-08-at-10.45.49.png

I know they usually get their chassis from Scan Speak but nothing in their lineup fits. Note the large dust cap and the blueish tint of the membrane. Also the the distinct cutouts for the screws.
Woofer could be from Sony:p
Based on the color at least:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you were to point those similarities to their market, they will rapidly point to you that Wilson will customize the drivers and the amp to their very strict specifications (of which you cannot know anything). If you were to measure this $8000 box and compare its output to , say, a Monoprice THX 10 inches, they , again will tell you that measurements do not tell the whole story. You can't measure PRaT or organic(-ality?) or the depth of the soundstage that the Loke will impart to the reproduction... etc...
They are not alone in doing such ... This is common in High End Audio. This thread from ASR from @elberoth, who unfortunately hasn't posted here for a while:

Let me be clear and remind people that, a CD Transport is only to spin the CD. You need an external DAC to plug it to an Amp. Thus the Barclay F-1, was nothing else than a not even customized $300 Marantx CD player... but remember the player portion was removed and the digital sent out on a RCA or Toslink to use with an external DAC. The Cabernet F1 cost in the 1990's $30,000. Adjusted for inflation that would be about $55,000.oo .. No typo Fitttty :)D) figh.... Thousands (!!!) US Dollars for just spinning a CD... The same thing a $20 CD-ROM drive does reliably in a PC or laptop ...

Peace

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
You mean you don't charge for your services? o_O
I’m sorry that a lawyer wronged you somewhere along the way. Hope you can be open minded enough to see that some of us work hard for our clients, pursuing arguments that we believe in.

Like many lawyers serving large corporate clients, I do charge by the hour. And also like many lawyers in my position, that rate is in the four digits per hour (US$). That probably does little to endear me to you, but it’s true and you sort of asked.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m sorry that a lawyer wronged you somewhere along the way. Hope you can be open minded enough to see that some of us work hard for our clients, pursuing arguments that we believe in.

Like many lawyers serving large corporate clients, I do charge by the hour. And also like many lawyers in my position, that rate is in the four digits per hour (US$). That probably does little to endear me to you, but it’s true and you sort of asked.
No, no. You misunderstood. You said you never separated fools from their money, and regardless of how professional service providers may try to work only for sensible people, inevitably we'll take on some fools. We have to bill them at the same rate as the sensible ones, though.

DanielT

Major Contributor
Unbelievable, a subwoofer with a 10 inch driver for...£9000!:facepalm::oops:

DSP , well that can always be added later on an active sub so there is nothing that justifies £9000.

What is this, why state the FR on the... amp?!:oops:
What I mean is that the interesting thing is the FR on the subwoofer. I take it for granted that the amplifier itself fixes the FR. I don't need to read about that.
FR + noise, distortion on the ENTIRE system as a whole is the interesting thing. Especially at different power levels.
(or how EQ friendly it is if the DSP allows fixing the FR)

Screenshot_2022-07-31_095326.jpg

Edit:
Just for comparison.My vintage receiver HK 330C that I have in the bedroom: 20-20kHz +/- 0.5 dB.:)
See attached pictures.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-31_101038.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-31_101038.jpg
    964.7 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_2022-07-31_101029.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-31_101029.jpg
    384.2 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

PatentLawyer

Forum Donor
No, no. You misunderstood. You said you never separated fools from their money, and regardless of how professional service providers may try to work only for sensible people, inevitably we'll take on some fools. We have to bill them at the same rate as the sensible ones, though.
Thank you for explaining. I understood your note to suggest that my clients were fools for paying me. Shame on me for assuming the worst, but the prior comments in this thread were playing on old tropes.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
500 W amp for 10 grand? For that price I´d get a Perlisten washing-machine size subwoofer and get back home with money on my pocket.

For that price I also expect infrasonic capabilities, which seem to be gone in this model.

No wonder this is given to Darko. This subwoofer will fall short on playing some hard Industrial Metal, and at this price, it should be able to play stuff like that loud and clear.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Being as we appear to have a few members in this thread well versed in US law, I wonder what they would make of these IMO, rather ridiculous 'conditions' for a US purchaser to obtain a reasonable warranty and/or remedy in the case of failure of what is clearly, a very expensive product.
1659343268641.png

Luckily in Australia, such 'conditions' would be fall well and truly afoul of our ACL. (Australian Consumer Law).

Top Bottom