• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wilson Audio TuneTot Review (high-end bookshelf speaker)

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 364 58.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 186 30.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 44 7.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 25 4.0%

• Total voters

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But there's no e or I after the n?
Always wondered why the limeys pronounce it so funny? ;)
because we spell it 'Aluminium'?

At primary school I got pulled up in a reading test for pronouncing 'Laboratory' as 'Labratory'. I'd only ever heard the word spoken on American television.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
'Squirrel' is the one that gets me. How do you go from that spelling to pronouncing it as 'Skwerl'?

Digby

Major Contributor
At primary school I got pulled up in a reading test for pronouncing 'Laboratory' as 'Labratory'. I'd only ever heard the word spoken on American television.
What about research? Did you do ree-search in the labratory or ruh-search in the laboratory? Ruh-search seems to have gone the way of looking glass.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
'Squirrel' is the one that gets me. How do you go from that spelling to pronouncing it as 'Skwerl'?
It’s funny, in the U.S., the animal is pronounced by most people as you note above, but when used as a verb (like “to squirrel away”), it is usually pronounced as it is spelled.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Another one that kills me—when people pronounce “caramel” as “carmull.”

When we (Australians, and probably English) speakers say 'calm' it rhymes with 'car' ... often US speakers make it rhyme with 'coal' which I can barely mange to pronounce (adding the 'm' to that, I mean). Seems to involve rolling then pushing the front of your tongue to the roof of your mouth?

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When we (Australians, and probably English) speakers say 'calm' it rhymes with 'car' ... often US speakers make it rhyme with 'coal' which I can barely mange to pronounce (adding the 'm' to that, I mean). Seems to involve rolling then pushing the front of your tongue to the roof of your mouth?
I’ve only heard it pronounced as cahm (like the “ah” in the interjection “ah!”) or as cahlm, which is the same pronunciation as before except with a slight, almost barely pronounced “l.”

Leif

What about research? Did you do ree-search in the labratory or ruh-search in the laboratory? Ruh-search seems to have gone the way of looking glass.
RECord is the noun, reCORD the verb, where capitals indicate a stressed syllable.
ENTrance and enTRANCE.
REsearch and reSEARCH.

At least in my experience in England.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I've been listening to the Decoding The Gurus podcast, the hosts being a Aussie Psychologist and Northern Irish cognitive anthropologist.

The Aussie's accent doesn't seem as pronounced as many I've heard. But listening, especially to the Northern Irish accent, is sort of cognitively draining to my
north American brain. The accent sounds to my ears like a vowel will start normally, but then shoot off in to some unanticipated direction and sling shot around to arrive somewhere else. I have a similar thing listening to Yascha Mounk's podcast, where it's like trying to decode english language that has been thrown in to "tumble dry" in a clothes dryer. Of course that all rests on my own brain's inadequacies, but I do notice the slight cognitive toll, where my brain is constantly slightly re-winding what they are saying to keep up. (Which makes me all the more impressed with immigrants in english speaking countries who do so well talking to native language speakers).

Whenever I think of the Australian accent I think of how my friend's Australian wife pronounces "oh no" when laughing about something - "ooh nooyuuuuuu....."

Heck, that reminds me: I remember a magazine I had once that had various accents written phonetically. Just reading the Australian version was hilarious...the reader sounded straight up Australian!

This "speak in different accents by reading phonetic translations" thing HAS to be a thing somewhere on the internet.

ETA: I knew it would exist:

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I've been listening to the Decoding The Gurus podcast, the hosts being a Aussie Psychologist and Northern Irish cognitive anthropologist.

The Aussie's accent doesn't seem as pronounced as many I've heard. But listening, especially to the Northern Irish accent, is sort of cognitively draining to my
north American brain. The accent sounds to my ears like a vowel will start normally, but then shoot off in to some unanticipated direction and sling shot around to arrive somewhere else. I have a similar thing listening to Yascha Mounk's podcast, where it's like trying to decode english language that has been thrown in to "tumble dry" in a clothes dryer. Of course that all rests on my own brain's inadequacies, but I do notice the slight cognitive toll, where my brain is constantly slightly re-winding what they are saying to keep up. (Which makes me all the more impressed with immigrants in english speaking countries who do so well talking to native language speakers).

Whenever I think of the Australian accent I think of how my friend's Australian wife pronounces "oh no" when laughing about something - "ooh nooyuuuuuu....."

Heck, that reminds me: I remember a magazine I had once that had various accents written phonetically. Just reading the Australian version was hilarious...the reader sounded straight up Australian!

This "speak in different accents by reading phonetic translations" thing HAS to be a thing somewhere on the internet.

ETA: I knew it would exist:

I wondered how/why this thread came to life again. Yes we certainly roll the 'o' into a 'u' when exclaiming "oh no".

That accenterator is fun. Following along with their "it is written so that if an American reads it, it will sound Australian" involves a double mind-flip for me. They do pick up things I hadn't really thought of like how we often hang onto the plosive 't' for 'to' where US-ians presumably go all the way to things like 'wanna'. I tried "I want to buy some aluminium" to get that. But they didn't get how we say the metal right. In that case, and generally 'u' is 'yoo' not just 'oo'.

Edit: no wait, I tried starting with the US spelling and they rendered it pretty well as "Oy wahnt t' buy some alyoominium". :)

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I wondered how/why this thread came to life again. Yes we certainly roll the 'o' into a 'u' when exclaiming "oh no".

That accenterator is fun. Following along with their "it is written so that if an American reads it, it will sound Australian" involves a double mind-flip for me. They do pick up things I hadn't really thought of like how we often hang onto the plosive 't' for 'to' where US-ians presumably go all the way to things like 'wanna'. I tried "I want to buy some aluminium" to get that. But they didn't get how we say the metal right. In that case, and generally 'u' is 'yoo' not just 'oo'.

Edit: no wait, I tried starting with the US spelling and they rendered it pretty well as "Oy wahnt t' buy some alyoominium". :)

Don't start with Aluminum vs Aluminium! ;)

I laugh everytime I hear Americans say "Aluminum Chassis" How they managed to mess up chassis too is beyond me. It's clearly French. Do Americans call croissants, croyzants?

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Don't start with Aluminum vs Aluminium! ;)

I laugh everytime I hear Americans say "Aluminum Chassis" How they managed to mess up chassis too is beyond me. It's clearly French. Do Americans call croissants, croyzants?

Oh god, best not to think about it. o_O

My cuzzy-bro business partner is a kiwi btw, it's hilarious.

Top Bottom