• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Ultra

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m wondering how close the Wiim Ultra is to release?

I got a notification from Alexa that the Wiim Pro Plus will be 15% off later today.
I had Alexa add to purchase when it goes on sale.

Brantome

Major Contributor
I’m wondering how close the Wiim Ultra is to release?

I got a notification from Alexa that the Wiim Pro Plus will be 15% off later today.
I had Alexa add to purchase when it goes on sale.
They said q2 but that takes you to the end of June. The Mini to Pro to Pro Plus to Amp were around 6m+ intervals so given the Amp isn’t long out, end of q2 might be my thoughts based on no other info than what I’ve stated. It might be earlier, but given some of the issues with small number of early production units of the Amp, they might want to take the time and minimise any such issues with the Ultra. I equally could be overly pessimistic with that estimate…

Overseas

Major Contributor
If Wiim implements room correction anytime this year or in 2025,it will be epic.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
It’d be nice to see the other models ‘finished’ (up to full capacity PEQ bands, room correction, ability to use sub out on the streamers) before anything else appears.

Then the Ultra can arrive as a completed product, and not waiting for updates before it’s fully functional.

Klonatans

Forum Donor
It doesn't concern specifically Ultra but rather the app functionality: I'd like to see a basic function - add album to queue - introduced in Tidal implementation of WiiM Home.

boz

Waiting for Wiim Amp Ultra ; ) Heck just got the Wiim pro + a few months ago, then they release a Wiim amp , and now this!...

amarsicola

Forum Donor
I think that the WiiM Ultra needs to have a DAC to satisfy the masses and a USB output to satisfy audiophile types. Coax and Optical are getting long in the tooth. The screen is not necessary but ok it will look pretty and make it look more expensive. We have all been spoiled by the price/performance of the WiiM Pro and +. I hope they don't go off the deep end and add too much cost. That would be a big mistake IMHO.

Following you, unfortunately the Audiophiles on budget will pay for features they do not use. It would be much better for them if wiim added USB out to the wiim mini...

jmillar

I’ll eat my hat if the Ultra doesn’t have analogue outputs.

I predict it will up the game in these areas compared to Pro Plus:

- look and feel, I.e pride of ownership. Possibly nicer remote.
- display. Not a large screen to display album art, just a nice display for input and volume. Target market is the all-in-one streamer/DAC/pre
- inputs. It will have every consumer input going
- DAC. Even better measured performance than Pro Plus. Balanced outputs. DSD and MQA decoding.
- bass management. Two sub outputs. Home App will improve and allow more adjustment of mains and subs.

That’s it.
Make this the end-game streamer/DAC/pre.
10-12 'band' PEQ is the clincher for me.
A "line-in". USB "digital out". True balanced out, XLR and/or TRS.
1or 2 Subwoofer outs. Adjustable "high pass" in main analog output if possible.

Last edited:

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
I think a danger is asking WiiM to do too much.

You could stick a cracking good headphone amp in here, but that bumps up the price. And most people interested in headphone amps will have one already.

It could have a superb DAC, but most people after that level of performance will have a DAC already.

I’d rather have a ‘WiiM Mini with excellent features’. The ability to drive your own DAC(s) and headphone amp, whilst introducing room correction, better PEQ, a sub out, etc. is more appealing than something that tries to do it all itself.

RosalieTheDog

I think a danger is asking WiiM to do too much.

You could stick a cracking good headphone amp in here, but that bumps up the price. And most people interested in headphone amps will have one already.

It could have a superb DAC, but most people after that level of performance will have a DAC already.

I’d rather have a ‘WiiM Mini with excellent features’. The ability to drive your own DAC(s) and headphone amp, whilst introducing room correction, better PEQ, a sub out, etc. is more appealing than something that tries to do it all itself.
I agree, but it seems WiiM has decided to enter the crowded competition with SMSL, Topping, etc. I too wished they would have just stuck with refining their streaming niche (the mini, the Linkplay module, adding PEQ possibly, ...).

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
I'm glad they did. Pro Plus makes most Topping and SMSL dacs useless.
Agreed. WiiM sometimes takes two steps forward and one step back with their firmware updates. Otherwise, they are pursuing usable features instead of another dB of noise reduction.

Haskil

Forum Donor
I'm glad they did. Pro Plus makes most Topping and SMSL dacs useless.
And a number of other much more expensive DACs... since the Pro + DAC has top-notch measurements...

Inertiaman

Forum Donor
I dream of just a Wiim Mini w/ 12V trigger added. I know the Pro is functionally there, but I love that I can velcro the Mini to the back of my D3045 and basically forget about it. Tired of reaching for the NAD remote to light up the D3045.

Sonhires

Si l’on considère à quel point le marché est petit pour un streamer sans DAC intégré, ce serait un désastre pour l’Ultra de ne pas en avoir.

Et avouons-le, ils pourraient installer un DAC avec des performances supérieures à 99,9 % des DAC boutique.

En fait, je commence à me demander si l’Ultra devrait être un ampli streamer. Wiim voudra une part de marché maximale et imaginez s'ils fabriquaient un ampli Wiim sous stéroïdes avec un véritable 300 W/ch avec un étage de sortie indépendant de la charge pour environ 500 à 600 $.
Uwith tpa 3255 pffb !!!

Dreamslayer

The Wiim Amp was, functionally, everything I want but the amp section isn't ideal and there have been criticisms (also, I'm using an amp that costs some 10-12x as much)

So a Wiim PRE-Amp that does everything the Amp does but lets me roll my own amp - that would be a hit.

I might use it as a convenient, desk friendly front end for my Halo

Top Bottom