• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Streamer

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Because in that case the wiim is digital in to digital out. Measurements will only show the performance of the external DAC.

Unless the implementation in the Wiim is fundamentally broken no digital processing done by it will result in audible artifacts.
It's also analog input in WiiM... And a need to compare coax and toslink performance.
Digital out measurements can also show what to expect when different DACs are used, the ones with strong jitter suppression or reclocking versus the ones without such capabilities. Or the ones which use ASRC on input signal.
Also to verify if there are no cast issues.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
EDIT - and we have the measurements of the mini to demonstrate that the Wiim digital platoform is not broken.
And we have measurements which demonstrate that WiiM digital domain was broken due to faulty firmware. And it is still broken in EQ flat mode.

MCH

Major Contributor
It's also analog input in WiiM... And a need to compare coax and toslink performance.
Digital out measurements can also show what to expect when different DACs are used, the ones with strong jitter suppression or reclocking versus the ones without such capabilities. Or the ones which use ASRC on input signal.
ADC measurements could be interesting indeed. We are not flooded with options, especially with the functionality of the wiim. My expectations aren't high though.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Analogue input is also measured in the mini - and is not that brilliant. But I view that as a niche application, and is probably fine for most analogue sources (Vinyl or tape)

Measurements shown here don't test with different Dacs. With a fully electronic digital source, then jitter is a function of the reciever device, not the transmitter. Similarly, SRC carried out by the reciever device is a function of that device - and its perfromance is not influenced by the source.

And regarding cast issues, functionality of devices is rarely checked here - except where it is so broken it is not possible to carry out the test.

So - to perhaps moderate my original statement. If using an external DAC, we can reasonably expect the Pro to be the same in performance to the Mini - which is audibly perfect. There might be a small value to a measurement to confirm this - but personally I'd not worry about it.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
And we have measurements which demonstrate that WiiM digital domain was broken due to faulty firmware. And it is still broken in EQ flat mode.
Sorry - you are talking about bit perfect I think.

1 - Bit perfect is not a requirement of audible transparency - so would not show in any measurements here.
2 - Lack of bit perfect in a specific mode (a mode which is designed to change the bits) does not constitute (IMO) a fault. Swtiching to a mode that is intended for equalisation - and then complaining that it is not bit perfect is an argument lacking (looking for a polite word) coherence. :p

Reactions: MCH

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Analogue input is also measured in the mini - and is not that brilliant. But I view that as a niche application, and is probably fine for most analogue sources (Vinyl or tape)

Measurements shown here don't test with different Dacs. With a fully electronic digital source, then jitter is a function of the reciever device, not the transmitter. Similarly, SRC carried out by the reciever device is a function of that device - and its perfromance is not influenced by the source.

And regarding cast issues, functionality of devices is rarely checked here - except where it is so broken it is not possible to carry out the test.

So - to perhaps moderate my original statement. If using an external DAC, we can reasonably expect the Pro to be the same in performance to the Mini - which is audibly perfect. There might be a small value to a measurement to confirm this - but personally I'd not worry about it.
We do not know if both digital outputs operate on the same level. We do not know it there are flaws in digital processing which can happen with every product especially just after the release. It has happened to Mini when it was already a mature product.
Look at the Chromecast Audio measurements and you will see that digital performance depends on both source and receiver quality.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
Sorry - you are talking about bit perfect I think.

1 - Bit perfect is not a requirement of audible transparency - so would not show in any measurements here.
2 - Lack of bit perfect in a specific mode (a mode which is designed to change the bits) does not constitute (IMO) a fault. Swtiching to a mode that is intended for equalisation - and then complaining that it is not bit perfect is an argument lacking (looking for a polite word) coherence. :p
I'm talking about clipping distortions made by DRC limiter implementation. I guess you didn't follow the story.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We do not know if both digital outputs operate on the same level. We do not know it there are flaws in digital processing which can happen with every product especially just after the release. It has happened to Mini when it was already a mature product.
Look at the Chromecast Audio measurements and you will see that digital performance depends on both source and receiver quality.
True - but that goes into the broken implementation category, which I excluded from my statement. Fortunately wiim has a good track record in fixing broken implementation.

As we also know, the implementation can become broken via firmware updates. So having a measuremnt at one point in time showing it is OK, doesn't protect you from that. You have to trust the manufacture to fix what they get wrong.

And, lets just bactrack a little. I was respoding to a post that says measurements are needed to see if it is a toy or not. In a digital in/out scenario measuremnets do not give that indication. They can only tell you if something is working correctly or not. In the event is it not, Toy/Not toy then comes down to "do you trust the manufacturer to fix it"

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
True - but that goes into the broken implementation category, which I excluded from my statement. Fortunately wiim has a good track record in fixing broken implementation.

As we also know, the implementation can become broken via firmware updates. So having a measuremnt at one point in time showing it is OK, doesn't protect you from that. You have to trust the manufacture to fix what they get wrong.
Manufacturer will not fix something he is not aware of. Measurements can verify if there are issues here or not. Especially at the very beginning.

The truth is that regression tests do not seem to be a strong side of Linkplay.
"Trust, but verify."

Last edited:

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
You can put everything into broken implementation category if something doesn't fulfill the expectations. But you have to measure it first to have a view.

Tangband

Major Contributor
If you are using digital output to an external dac, no measurements are necessary.

All indications so far are that the built in Dac is the same as on the mini - which has been measured here. Not that good with Sinad in the mid 80's putting it in the red region of the chart. Measurements would be interesting to see if this is the case also for the pro.
This is not right.
Faults can appear with bad SRC, bad digital volume regulation, and bad jitter performance, even from the digital spdif out as transmitter to an external dac . I wouldnt buy a streamer at 2023 with worse digital SINAD regarding jitter than -110 dB.

A computer with a cheap, good DDC ( 40 dollar ) can easily make better results than - 120 dB.

This is an example of a bad digital transmitter:

A9B4E14E-E069-4510-B899-E256BA69F2FC.jpeg

Last edited:

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Comparisons of the WiiM Pro, Coax output from LMS server, UPnP vs Chromecast.
For reference, Justboom Digi Zero, Pi Zero, LMS->Squeezelite, Coax output
My "test rig" is a $29 Inovato Quadra, so definitely not as accurate as @amirm's AP... ;)

1kHz 24-bit test tone, ADI-2 DAC FS loopback to USB->Inovato Quadra

Justboom Digi Zero:
R justboomdigizero.wav.png

WiiM Pro Chromecast:

R wiimprocoax_chromecast.wa.png

WiiM Pro UPnP:

R wiimprocoax_upnp.wav.png

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This is not right.
Faults can appear with bad SRC, bad digital volume regulation, and bad jitter performance, even from the digital spdif out as transmitter to an external dac . I wouldnt buy a streamer at 2023 with worse digital SINAD regarding jitter than -110 dB.

A computer with a cheap, good DDC ( 40 dollar ) can easily make better results than - 120 dB.

This is an example of a bad digital transmitter:

View attachment 251548
That chart you've taken from the chromecast review is not jitter - it is some weird failure in the interface between the chrome browser, and the chromecast or - possibly a badly implemented lossy codec. As you can see in the next chart in the review - competent software casting and no problem.

Bear in mind jitter on an output can only be the result of the output clock being unstable. Clearly this is not the case, or it would not work with any software.

Tangband

Major Contributor
Comparisons of the WiiM Pro, Coax output from LMS server, UPnP vs Chromecast.
For reference, Justboom Digi Zero, Pi Zero, LMS->Squeezelite, Coax output
My "test rig" is a $29 Inovato Quadra, so definitely not as accurate as @amirm's AP... ;)

1kHz 24-bit test tone, ADI-2 DAC FS loopback to USB->Inovato Quadra

Justboom Digi Zero:
View attachment 251575

WiiM Pro Chromecast:

View attachment 251576

WiiM Pro UPnP:

View attachment 251577
Thanks !
Good to know its behaving rather good, atleast on upnp.
A phiree usb/spdif converter for 40 dollars and a laptop is better measuring though.

Can you do the same test with digital volume control enabled on the digital output on this WiiM pro , at - 20 dB or something like this ?
To see how much worse it may look ? When enabling the volume control on the digital out, is everything SRC to 48 kHz, as it is on the Yamaha wxc50 ?

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
That chart you've taken from the chromecast review is not jitter - it is some weird failure in the interface between the chrome browser, and the chromecast or - possibly a badly implemented lossy codec. As you can see in the next chart in the review - competent software casting and no problem.

Bear in mind jitter on an output can only be the result of the output clock being unstable. Clearly this is not the case, or it would not work with any software.
Chromecast is not the only device that behaves bad . Bad implemented codecs or SRC are everywhere. Windows mixer is one example.

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
A phiree usb/spdif converter for 40 dollars and a laptop is better measuring though.
I'm pretty sure it will measure on the same level on RME DAC if you use the same measure settings.

Mini:
1671695664712.png

Cheap converter (Hifime S2 Digi):
1671695749417.png

Reactions: MCH

onlyoneme

Major Contributor

Here was the jitter:

1671696523960.png

"The Chromecast output has more jitter than an audiophile/instrument grade Toslink output. This is evident when used with low quality DACs like Schiit Modi 2 Uber."

morillon

Major Contributor
Here was the jitter:

View attachment 251660

"The Chromecast output has more jitter than an audiophile/instrument grade Toslink output. This is evident when used with low quality DACs like Schiit Modi 2 Uber."
will be interesting to observe the quality of the jitter on the side of just the clock (the j-
-test go a little further) of the pro compared to the mini (really not terrible on this specific point..) and rather under low treatment conditions.. otherwise it will hardly be observable...
a new hardware on the pro .. can be a clear progress on this point?
the coax toslink comparison will be interesting as well on
;-)

onlyoneme

Major Contributor
will be interesting to observe the quality of the jitter on the side of just the clock (the j-
-test go a little further) of the pro compared to the mini (really not terrible on this specific point..) and rather under low treatment conditions.. otherwise it will hardly be observable...
a new hardware on the pro .. can be a clear progress on this point?
the coax toslink comparison will be interesting as well on
;-)
Most likely the same I would expect on RME. ADI-2 handles incoming jitter very well.

Mini:
1671698338797.png

S2 Digi:
1671698358644.png

Top Bottom