• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro - Review & Measurements (Streamer)

MrSoul4470

... which would for sure be the end of lots of friendships.

_Piotr

Unfortunately you cant switch inputs using alexa. Its so annoying that I have go to the app and change the input to SPDIF each time I want to watch a movie.
Have to buy the remote after all.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Unfortunately you cant switch inputs using alexa. Its so annoying that I have go to the app and change the input to SPDIF each time I want to watch a movie.
Have to buy the remote after all.
What firmware are you running at the minute. As the latest firmware has added this feature, apparently. Mine has not updated yet, so I'm unable to test.
Details here courtesy of @Brantome

Joffy1780

MrSoul4470

:facepalm: that explains why mine hasn't been updated, then.
You're not the only one. I was desperately waiting for the update on my Pro too. :rolleyes:

Joffy1780

Now I can't wait for this change to come to the pro version.
Looks like latest firmware has added the functionality for Wiim Pro.
Mine has not been updated as of yet though.

anli

How does firmware update take place? Will update dialog auto-appear on the app startup? Or what?

Joffy1780

How does firmware update take place? Will update dialog auto-appear on the app startup? Or what?
Yeah, it should auto update and there is (usually) a pop up that appears with a list of changes when you open the app.
The updates happen in batches.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Firmware updates are rolled out in batches over a few days. Occasionally when you open the app or select your device, you may get a pop up saying there’s a firmware update available and do you want to apply it. More often than not, it updates itself when the device is dormant. Sometimes you may get a banner telling you what the firmware contains, sometimes you don’t. Basically, you wait till it’s your turn…

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
Quick question about 12V trigger - I have a small external DAC that has a 12V DC input - can the 12V trigger be used to actually power a 12V / 5A DAC? If so what cable should I get?

BenjaminB

Quick question about 12V trigger - I have a small external DAC that has a 12V DC input - can the 12V trigger be used to actually power a 12V / 5A DAC? If so what cable should I get?
I have not seen any spec of the trigger output power ability, but most often triggers are weak, << 1 A. Triggers are just for sending a very simple digital signal (on/off).
Wiim recommend to use a USB with 5 V and ~1 A as power source, specifically not using "travel chargers" as these might be too powerful. Thus, the WiiM use ~ 5 W, and there is not much power to share to another unit (a DAC).

Guess you want to have the DAC to be started by the WiiM. One way to actually do that is to use a micro-relay controlled by the trigger and have the relay to torn on/off on the low-voltage side of the DAC power unit. (note that a standard relay will probably use too much power for the trigger ...).

vikingly

Excellent review! Thank you. Does the Wiim Pro support having different volume levels applied to different inputs? I can't tell from the various reviews and screen shots if this is an option or not.

[Context: I have a setup where I'd like to use it both for streaming audio and passing through digital audio output from an Apple TV (4K). For whatever reason the Apple TV's audio output is very heavily attenuated, so I'd like to be able to level this digitally.]

Joffy1780

Excellent review! Thank you. Does the Wiim Pro support having different volume levels applied to different inputs? I can't tell from the various reviews and screen shots if this is an option or not.

[Context: I have a setup where I'd like to use it both for streaming audio and passing through digital audio output from an Apple TV (4K). For whatever reason the Apple TV's audio output is very heavily attenuated, so I'd like to be able to level this digitally.]
I'm afraid not. You would have to adjust the volume manually each time you switched inputs.

napfkuchen

Is it possible to map the remote presets to specific Inputs?

Joffy1780

Brantome

Major Contributor
... which would for sure be the end of lots of friendships.
And which is probably one of the causes for people complaining about Spotify randomly playing music unprompted on their devices. If someone has cast using Spotify Connect to one of your devices (including smart speakers like echos) when on your network, then that connection is persistent and can be used as mentioned over the internet. Some view it as a major security hole. So the next time your device plays some you didn’t ask for unprompted, try and recall who had casted to your device in the past - they’re probably wondering why they’re not hearing their request until they realise they need to select one of their own devices.

DeepSpace57

@VintageFlanker

Mate, may I ask you to test the jitter of a proper DAC (almost dead flat at a low dB) with Wii mini (or pro) through Toslink, if possible?

I have just watched this video , making me confused about the overall jitter performance of our Wii mini setups. At 5:35, the jitter behaviour of the X18 is claimed to vary depending on the jitter quality of the streamer.

I wonder if you find a similar result with your set-up as the jitter measurement of Wii mini is not that much relatively great compared to ASR-stamped DACs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom