• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 273 80.1%

• Total voters

davidc

Forum Donor
Things are a little more complex than how you present them. For example, multichannel absolutely does not imply that you are among musicians as you describe.
And even all the channels can be front-facing : the recordings made on front channels are quite remarkable : the precision of the soundstage is greater than with only two channels.

The recording can add to these three channels two rear channels broadcasting the ambient sound which returns from the room itself after bouncing off the walls. Classical music lovers who go to concerts experience this with great pleasure... even when they are in the first rows which are never the best in a room when you listen to an orchestra... The best seats are rather front in the second half of the room: where the direct sound and the reflected sound are balanced. Numerous recordings of orchestra and even solo instruments published on SACD, audio or video BD demonstrate this. Even a solo cello or a solo piano gain in realism because the precision of the frontal scene seems even more precise.

You are correct. This is true if that is the way the music was recorded. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this would apply if the recording was made live with mics. But would not apply to a studio recording? And I suppose I would be less likely to have ambient information if recorded, say, at the Hollywood Bowl, the Greek Theater, or an outdoor concert, but would be more likely to have it if recorded at an indoor venue. And would probably be especially enjoyable (if recorded for this purpose of capturing the information) if recorded at a well-designed hall such as Boston

davidc

Forum Donor
Other than the price/size difference, why not just use a Denon avr-x4800h? Has audyssey, multi I/o, HDMI and a nice amp?

I have an x4300h, and am wondering if adding this pro plus is better than upgrading to the x4800h ? I do have an Nvidia shield I use for streaming via HDMI to the avr.
One reason I think I am about to purchase one of the Wiims is that I have a Denon x4800h (which just replaced my x4700h), and I can't get any high-res audio while using the Amazon Music Unlimited app casting to the AVR. Apparently, the only way to get it is to cast it directly from the HEOS app. Now, while the HEOS app is much better after it's update last month, it still sucks vs the Amazon Music app.

gumblag

Well I bought two WIIM Pro Plus, one for my son and one for me. I noticed that the 'WIIM Home' software looks and feels the same as 'Streamer 4' the software for the Arylic S Pro Plus. In the software for the Arylic I could see what was playing and how the properties were setup in the WIIM Pro Plus. I did not try to control the Wiim with the software for the Arylic S Pro Plus, though. By the time I realised I could try that, I had deleted 'Streamer 4' from my I-Phone already.
In the mean time I was able to try the WIIM Home app on the Arilyc S Pro Plus and it turns out that the Arilyc S Pro Plus is fully controllable withe WIIM Home app for the WIIM Pro Plus.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In the mean time I was able to try the WIIM Home app on the Arilyc S Pro Plus and it turns out that the Arilyc S Pro Plus is fully controllable withe WIIM Home app for the WIIM Pro Plus.
Linkplay provide streamer modules and software for a quite a number of manufacturers.

Confused

So I can choose only one output at a time. But can I stream over Airplay 2 to different kind of wireless speakers? For instance 2 x Beolab 17 in the living room, two Apple homepod mini's in another room, and one homepod mini in the kitchen.

Brantome

Major Contributor
So I can choose only one output at a time. But can I stream over Airplay 2 to different kind of wireless speakers? For instance 2 x Beolab 17 in the living room, two Apple homepod mini's in another room, and one homepod mini in the kitchen.
If they all support Airplay 2, then yes.

drmevo

Apologies if this has already been asked and answered, but I have a question on the parametric EQ. My current situation is that I have a pretty basic setup of WiiM Mini and turntable as my main sources, going into an integrated amp. I’d like to try my hand at basic room correction, but that’s difficult without separates, and it looks like WiiM Mini doesn’t support parametric EQ.

Would it work and make sense to get a WiiM Pro Plus and then send my phono amp output through the analog input on the WPP? I think I could apply parametric EQ but I’m not entirely clear.

The DAC would likely be an upgrade over what’s in my integrated amp, so that would be another positive.

staticV3

Master Contributor
and it looks like WiiM Mini doesn’t support parametric EQ.
Afaik you can get the same 4-band PEQ as on the Pro, using the Mini's Beta firmware. WiiM's own forum will have more information on this.

Would it work and make sense to get a WiiM Pro Plus and then send my phono amp output through the analog input on the WPP? I think I could apply parametric EQ but I’m not entirely clear.
Yes, that would work.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Afaik you can get the same 4-band PEQ as on the Pro, using the Mini's Beta firmware. WiiM's own forum will have more information on this.
PEQ has been publicly available on the WiiM Mini for months - last Sep or so iirc. There’s no generally available Beta either.

drmevo

Yes, that would work.
PEQ has been publicly available on the WiiM Mini for months - last Sep or so iirc. There’s no generally available Beta either.

I guess my issue is that the PEQ changes I’ve tried don’t seem to be impacting my measurements. I’ll have to do some reading and try to figure out what I’m doing wrong. In any case, seems the Pro Plus is a worthwhile investment, especially for when it gets another PEQ upgrade down the line.

audioje

Upcoming Features

• Per-Source EQ: Allows you to set independent EQ for each source input
  • Fixed resolution output with the high fidelity ASRC
  • DLNA Cast: Cast to other 3rd DLNA devices (Similar to AirPlay Cast but offering lossless audio)
  • Enhanced Pandora Service
Features We're Actively Working on:

• 8-band PEQ
  • Room Correction
  • Persistent group for multiple devices
  • Smart Buttons: Allow to customize the four preset buttons on the remote
  • Support landscape mode on Android Tablets
  • Support App Widgets on iOS and Android
  • Separate Favorites Tab - The user's favorite tracks, playlists, stations, podcasts, and recently played are listed in the favorites tab.
  • Support SMB for music sharing and streaming
  • Native Plex integration
  • Enhanced 'Play Queue' Management
  • KKBox integration
  • Enhanced Internet Radio
  • Maintain context when switching source input
  • Qobuz Connect
Features We're Thinking About In Future Updates

• Multiroom of hi-res audio
  • New music services include YouTube Music, Idagio, SiriusXM, Nugs.net, RadioParadise, etc.
  • Play music from personal cloud storage (Dropbox, OneDrive, iCloud, etc.)
  • Users can select the streaming quality in the "Now Play" app UI
  • Improved NAS and DLNA DMS features

Almost there almost.....

Wild 7

Upcoming Features

• DLNA Cast: Cast to other 3rd DLNA devices (Similar to AirPlay Cast but offering lossless audio)

• 8-band PEQ
  • Room Correction
  • Separate Favorites Tab - The user's favorite tracks, playlists, stations, podcasts, and recently played are listed in the favorites tab.
  • KKBox integration
  • Qobuz Connect

• New music services include YouTube Music, Idagio, SiriusXM, Nugs.net, RadioParadise, etc.

Almost there almost.....

Don’t hold your breathe ……….

Phayes

Upcoming Features

• 8-band PEQ
  • Room Correction
  • KKBox integration
  • Qobuz Connect

Almost there almost.....
I regularly listen to Paradise on my Wiim mini.

Brantome

Major Contributor
I regularly listen to Paradise on my Wiim mini.
I understand that the inclusion of Radio Paradise in future updates is to enhance the current provision beyond what is basically just 4 URLs into something like what LMS or the Radio Paradise app offer.

Mikett

The Plus appears to be the perfect addon for my MiniDSP Flex 8. The MiniDSP Flex8 was missing an analog input. I can use this streamer and use the ADC after my phono preamp.
Perfect compact solution.

CT Man

Has anyone tested whether there's any loss of audio quality grouping WiiM devices at 16/44? My use case is having analog devices and a CD player connected to a vintage preamp in a separate room from my main listening system. I can connect the preamp tape out to the WiiM's RCA for the turntable and tuner. I'm OK with good enough ADC quality without being state of the art. I wonder if there's any loss in quality going from CD 16/44 to optical grouped to my primary WiiM.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Has anyone tested whether there's any loss of audio quality grouping WiiM devices at 16/44? My use case is having analog devices and a CD player connected to a vintage preamp in a separate room from my main listening system. I can connect the preamp tape out to the WiiM's RCA for the turntable and tuner. I'm OK with good enough ADC quality without being state of the art. I wonder if there's any loss in quality going from CD 16/44 to optical grouped to my primary WiiM.
For $30, you can get a Hifime UR23 and actually test the audio quality yourself using free software like Room EQ Wizard and Multitone Analyzer.

Brantome

Major Contributor
Linkplay groups support up to 16/48 lossless so you shouldn’t experience any loss of quality.

audioje

New firmware for pro plus

4.8.609154 (Latest)

Release date:

2 / 29 / 2024

What's New:

1. Custom Radio Metadata: Now with dynamic track information, compatible with our latest app.
  2. Soundtrack Your Brand Integration: Transform your business ambiance with Soundtrack Your Brand. Gain legal access to an unparalleled commercial music catalog boasting over 100 million songs, designed to enrich your commercial space effortlessly.
  3. New Wi-Fi Disconnection Indicator: The device status light now glows yellow to signal Wi-Fi disconnection, replacing the previous solid red indicator.
  4. Improved 12V Trigger Output:
    • Standby Mode Synchronization: The 12V Trigger now reflects the device’s Standby status, activating with device use and deactivating in idle mode.
    • Improved Standby Efficiency: For devices set to remain always on, the 12V Trigger will now automatically shut off after 5 minutes of inactivity, enhancing energy efficiency.

Top Bottom