• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 273 80.1%

• Total voters

bobster

I'm curious if I could use this pathway. Turntable -> Phono Preamp -> Wiim Pro Plus -> IPad through Airplay 2 -> DAC -> Kef Wireless 2

I don't think so. I have a MacStudio, iPhone 13, 10.5" iPad Pro, and Apple TV 4k (all software is current). Neither the iPad or iPhone appear as Airplay 2 receivers.

Rogue Amoeba's AirFoil can turn iOS/iPadOS devices into Airplay receivers, but only when streaming from AirFoil on a mac, if I understand correctly. Maybe there's third-party software to make these devices into receivers, but I'm not aware of any.

jdjung

I don't think so. I have a MacStudio, iPhone 13, 10.5" iPad Pro, and Apple TV 4k (all software is current). Neither the iPad or iPhone appear as Airplay 2 receivers.

Rogue Amoeba's AirFoil can turn iOS/iPadOS devices into Airplay receivers, but only when streaming from AirFoil on a mac, if I understand correctly. Maybe there's third-party software to make these devices into receivers, but I'm not aware of any.
Yeah , that sucks. If you buy two Wiim products I wonder if that will make it lossless.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
It's absolutely brilliant. I just purchased a Wiim Pro Plus so I can stream my turntable to my KEF LS50 Wireless 2 through Airplay 2, which I can't directly wire to. It in essence turns it into an inexpensive WiFi audio interface. I'm curious if I could use this pathway. Turntable -> Phono Preamp -> Wiim Pro Plus -> IPad through Airplay 2 -> DAC -> Kef Wireless 2. This would make the stream lossless through wifi, since I believe Airplay 2 is only lossless if to and from an Apple device? Does anyone know if this is true or possible? I think if I go Wiim Pro Plus to KEF LS50 Wireless 2 directly, the music is no longer lossless, but not 100% sure.

Can you just clarify, what is hardwired to what, and which point of the chain you’d like to be wireless.

Last edited:

jdjung

Can you just clarify, what is hardwired to what, and which point of the chain you’d like to be wireless.
I have a turn table to a Cambridge Duo phono amp to Wiim Pro streaming through Airplay to my Kef LS50 Wireless 2. I don't believe it's lossless like this. If I buy another Wiim Pro and connect that to the Kef LS50 with coax or optical will that be lossless at that point? The wireless point would be between the phono amp and the Kef LS50 Wireless 2 (powered active speakers).

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
According to Apple, a Mac running MacOS 12 Monterey or later can act as an Airplay receiver:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a turn table to a Cambridge Duo phono amp to Wiim Pro streaming through Airplay to my Kef LS50 Wireless 2. I don't believe it's lossless like this. If I buy another Wiim Pro and connect that to the Kef LS50 with coax or optical will that be lossless at that point? The wireless point would be between the phono amp and the Kef LS50 Wireless 2 (powered active speakers).
I wouldn't worry about it. Whatever artefacts are introduced by the lossy encoding (even if it is lossy) will vanish in the much greater noise and distortion of vinyl reproduction.

bobster

even if it is lossy

Can anyone point to actual proof that AirPlay 2 converts from ALAC to AAC? I've seen this mentioned several times online, without any evidence.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Can anyone point to actual proof that AirPlay 2 converts from ALAC to AAC? I've seen this mentioned several times online, without any evidence.
According to tests described in this post from the end of December - airplay 2 can now be lossless/redbook.

Other stuff I've read said it depends on the app doing the sending...

Atanasi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
According to tests described in this post from the end of December - airplay 2 can now be lossless/redbook.
Airplay 2 has always had the capability to be lossless, but the more interesting question is if lossless is actually implemented with common apps and devices.

I tested sending from Apple Music on iPad, and at that time Airplay 2 encoded to AAC. Apple Music had an album with test signals, and AAC is easy to recognize from FFT.

jdjung

I wouldn't worry about it. Whatever artefacts are introduced by the lossy encoding (even if it is lossy) will vanish in the much greater noise and distortion of vinyl reproduction.
You think so? Am I wasting my time on trying to get lossless or will it sound the same,as in the noise from vinyl will drown out the artefacts? Gf keeps buying vinyl so trying to get the best setup for her. Also, not going to argue with her regarding vinyl vs other formats? Besides she gets a huge smile on her face buying vinyl, which puts a smile on my face. If it's not going to make an audible difference I'll stick to what I have.

Last edited:

jdjung

Airplay 2 has always had the capability to be lossless, but the more interesting question is if lossless is actually implemented with common apps and devices.

I tested sending from Apple Music on iPad, and at that time Airplay 2 encoded to AAC. Apple Music had an album with test signals, and AAC is easy to recognize from FFT.
I'm more curios if sending Wiim to the Kefs or another Wiim will be lossless. Does anyone know?

gorman

When using parametric equalization, does anyone known if headroom must be added to filters or if WiiM handles that, in order to avoid clipping?

REW tells me I need 5db of headroom at 226Hz but there is no preamp in the parametric eq on WiiM.

staticV3

Master Contributor
When using parametric equalization, does anyone known if headroom must be added to filters or if WiiM handles that, in order to avoid clipping?

REW tells me I need 5db of headroom at 226Hz but there is no preamp in the parametric eq on WiiM.
That's easy enough to test.
Set the WiiM to 100% volume and play a 200Hz test tone,.
Add just one peaking filter at 4kHz and increase its gain bit by bit.

If the 200Hz tone gets quieter every time you increase the gain at 4kHz, then the WiiM handles preamplification automatically.

If the WiiM is your only volume control and you can't safely play a tone at 100% volume, simply plug out the Amp and measure the output voltage with a basic multimeter.

gorman

That's easy enough to test.
Set the WiiM to 100% volume and play a 200Hz test tone,.
Add just one peaking filter at 4kHz and increase its gain bit by bit.

If the 200Hz tone gets quieter every time you increase the gain at 4kHz, then the WiiM handles preamplification automatically.

If the WiiM is your only volume control and you can't safely play a tone at 100% volume, simply plug out the Amp and measure the output voltage with a basic multimeter.
Thanks for this. It is my only volume control (it's a WiiM Amp).

And unplugging involves moving lots of stuff, due to installation. I asked thinking it was something that had already been found out.

Joffy1780

As of now,the PEQ does not automatically account for peaks and will clip. The volume limit function can be used as a preamp.
Each 1% reduction on the limit, reduces the output by 0.6db, so for a 5 dB boost you'd need to drop the limit to at least 91% and that would be equivalent to a negative gain of 5.4db.
I would go lower to be safe.

Last edited:

almostseaworthy

I am a rookie, and am really impressed by the community's enthusiasm. I don't use roon (yet) and am wondering, what does the Chromcast add to this set up?

gorman

As of now,the PEQ does not automatically account for peaks and will clip. The volume limit function can be used as a preamp.
Each 1% reduction on the limit, reduces the output by 0.6db, so for a 5 dB boost you'd need to drop the limit to at least 91% and that would be equivalent to a negative gain of 5.4db.
I would go lower to be safe.
I know I am asking in a WiiM Pro discussion, but with WiiM Amp I'm not sure if volume limit works on the DSP chain or on the amp.

I'll try asking the company directly.

Joffy1780

I know I am asking in a WiiM Pro discussion, but with WiiM Amp I'm not sure if volume limit works on the DSP chain or on the amp.

I'll try asking the company directly.
Maybe @onlyoneme could help as I know he has ran tests on both?

56suited

I don't understand the need for an analog input on a DAC/streamer combo.

TT --> phono stage --> amplifier (unless the phono stage is integrated to the TT or amp) is way better than having a DAC/streamer in the middle of it all, no? Or is conversion of analog to digital preferred because you can then use SPDIF/Optical digital inputs to an amp? I'm guessing it is a preference thing based on whether you like the sound or not...but converting an analog signal to digital and creating another step between source and speaker sounds counter-intuitive. Or...is the benefit so that you don't have to input switch at the amp?

staticV3

Master Contributor
I don't understand the need for an analog input on a DAC/streamer combo.

TT --> phono stage --> amplifier (unless the phono stage is integrated to the TT or amp) is way better than having a DAC/streamer in the middle of it all, no?
By digitizing the analog input, the WiiM can equalize your TT system, or cast that audio over to another WiiM somewhere.

The digitization step doesn't hurt fidelity, because vinyl is a flawed medium with limited fidelity. (Though still plenty enough for our ears, and often times with higher dynamic range than digital releases due to loudness wars :rolleyes:)

What is there, can be fully captured by even the midrange ADC built into the WiiM.

Top Bottom