• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 60 17.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 275 80.2%

• Total voters

56suited

By digitizing the analog input, the WiiM can equalize your TT system, or cast that audio over to another WiiM somewhere.

The digitization step doesn't hurt fidelity, because vinyl is a flawed medium with limited fidelity. (Though still plenty enough for our ears, and often times with higher dynamic range than digital releases due to loudness wars :rolleyes:)

What is there, can be fully captured by even the midrange ADC built into the WiiM.
Ah, I think I understand. So, as an additional step on its way to the amplifier, I can (1) use the 10-band graphic EQ and 26 preset EQ to fiddle with sound output and likely save a bit of cash swapping out cartridges for different music styles and sound, and (2) I was correct about making an input into the amp single-source.

This actually makes me think the quality of my TT matters less than I initially thought, meaning I can allocate budget from the TT downstream to DAC, amp and speakers. Interesting.

The ADC actually helps with sound because I can reduce any further loss in fidelity from TT to speaker with SPDIF/Optical/Coax cabling to the amp. It won't improve the SQ, but I'll lose less.

Am I on the right path here, or still a dumb noob?

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
Ah, I think I understand. So, as an additional step on its way to the amplifier, I can (1) use the 10-band graphic EQ and 26 preset EQ to fiddle with sound output and likely save a bit of cash swapping out cartridges for different music styles and sound, and (2) I was correct about making an input into the amp single-source.

This actually makes me think the quality of my TT matters less than I initially thought, meaning I can allocate budget from the TT downstream to DAC, amp and speakers. Interesting.

The ADC actually helps with sound because I can reduce any further loss in fidelity from TT to speaker with SPDIF/Optical/Coax cabling to the amp. It won't improve the SQ, but I'll lose less.

Am I on the right path here, or still a dumb noob?

You'll also benefit from bass management and subwoofer out (if you have a sub), as well as the upcoming room correction facility.

56suited

You'll also benefit from bass management and subwoofer out (if you have a sub), as well as the upcoming room correction facility.
I likely won't have a sub - at least not right away...however I am seeing a path that will not rely on 700EUR being sunk into a DSP. It won't be perfect, but if I can EQ and manage crossover, I can continue on in my research for my first-ever HiFi set for my small home office.

Your post, and everybody else's has been very helpful. I'm learning new stuff every day (I started the HiFi journey December 18).

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
No sub out on the pro plus, I'm afraid.

Yorkshire Mouth

Major Contributor
LI likely won't have a sub - at least not right away...however I am seeing a path that will not rely on 700EUR being sunk into a DSP. It won't be perfect, but if I can EQ and manage crossover, I can continue on in my research for my first-ever HiFi set for my small home office.

Your post, and everybody else's has been very helpful. I'm learning new stuff every day (I started the HiFi journey December 18).

I began mine in about 1985. :D

56suited

No sub out on the pro plus, I'm afraid.
But there is on the WiiM amp, if I go that route. Jostling about with budget for turntable, phono stage, DAC, streamer, amp, speakers...it's likely the WiiM amp for consolidation purposes and budget...but I am fleshing out all possible options, as the AiO limits my upgradability.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
But there is on the WiiM amp, if I go that route. Jostling about with budget for turntable, phono stage, DAC, streamer, amp, speakers...it's likely the WiiM amp for consolidation purposes and budget...but I am fleshing out all possible options, as the AiO limits my upgradability.
FYI

WiiM says (post #195) their upcoming 'Ultra' streaming device will have a phono input and a sub out. WiiM has said the 'Ultra will be released by '2Q2024'.

56suited

FYI

WiiM says (post #195) their upcoming 'Ultra' streaming device will have a phono input and a sub out. WiiM has said the 'Ultra will be released by '2Q2024'.

A combo phono stage/DAC/streamer sounds interesting if they can do it right, but the sub out is overkill, as you'd have that on the amp.

What I would wish for is a higher-end WiiM amp, either with more power, or balanced inputs...other bells and whistles.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
A combo phono stage/DAC/streamer sounds interesting if they can do it right, but the sub out is overkill, as you'd have that on the amp.

What I would wish for is a higher-end WiiM amp, either with more power, or balanced inputs...other bells and whistles.
I think WiiM can do it right - but it may take a few iterations of firmware updates before that can be said. I agree, balanced inputs would be most welcome. I'll accept some 'overkill' in features if they have the features I desire

jooc

This is a review and detailed measurements of the WiiM Pro Plus streamer, DAC and preamplifier with Bluetooth support. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $219.
View attachment 332704
While the case is plastic, it still "looks the part" as the Brits would say relative to other more famous brands of streamers. I was pleasantly surprised to see support for analog input:
View attachment 332705

There is both Toslink in and out and even trigger support (for automation/turning on downstream devices). As usual, you need to download an App to get access to full set of functionality. Upon running said app, I was once again pleasantly surprised in it instantly finding the streamer. It asked me if I wanted to upgrade and I said yes. It took about 6 minutes which was rather long but otherwise worked smoothly.

Note that my version is the "Plus" which has a much more performant DAC and retails for more money as a result.

Upon power cycle I went to my Roon player to see if it sees the device but it did not! I could swear I was told it now had Roon support. Searching online showed that it should be there but nope. Power cycle did nothing. FAQ did nothing. Searching on WiiM site did not inform. Searched again and landed on a thread on Roon forum where it said the *Plus* version is yet to be certified. And that it is the standard WiiM Pro that is already there. What a mess. I put most of the blame on Roon for their slow process here but from WiiM front, I would have liked to see a notation in documentation/app saying support is not there yet.

Fortunately Chromecast is supported which gives the same high resolution, bit-exact streaming as Roon endpoing does so I did my streaming tests with that.

One key feature of this streamer is support for both Graphic and Parametric EQ. Latter is limited to 4 bands but that is good enough to do major good for both speaker/headphone response and even room EQ.

WiiM Pro Plus Measurements
Here is our dashboard with Roon pushing bits over Chromecast protocol to Wiim Pro Plus:
View attachment 332706
This is excellent performance for the class, easily landing it in the Excellent category of all DACs tested:

View attachment 332707

View attachment 332708

Distortion was below threshold of hearing so noise dominated:
View attachment 332709
There is a broad sequence of tones at very low amplitude are visible in our jitter test:
View attachment 332710
Levels are below -130 dB though so not remotely audible.

The default filter is provided which is fine by me:
View attachment 332711

IMD and noise are very good:
View attachment 332714

Linearity is perfect:
View attachment 332715

There is however some rise in distortion with decreasing frequency:
View attachment 332716
Edit: looks like there is an improved version that came out to address this last month. My sample is a few months old.

WiiM Pro Plus Equalization Measurement
You all keep asking me about impact of equalization on performance of products with it. So I decided to turn on EQ but leave the four filters at gain of zero (so frequency response is not changed). Here is Toslink input with EQ defeated:
View attachment 332712

And now with EQ on:

View attachment 332713

As you see, it has no impact.

WiiM Pro Plus Analog Input Measurements
Here is the performance with analog in and out:
View attachment 332717
Predictably, we don't have a high performance implementation as far as distortion. Noise while fluctuating some in the dashboard, was good by itself:
View attachment 332718

You have selectable sample rate for analog input which is a nice feature. I set it to max (has no impact on above measurements) and got nice, wide bandwidth:
View attachment 332720

Conclusions
The WiiM Pro Plus is extremely capable streamer with just the right feature set of DAC, EQ and analog input. Plus version nicely ups the performance by a good mile, essentially matching that of our low cost DACs in $100 to $120 range. But then it adds analog input which has no analog in DACs, pun intended. Software shows impressive depth and capability. Other than Roon support not yet being there, I can't critique anything.

I am happy to add WiiM Pro Plus streamer to my recommended list.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

"..You all keep asking me about impact of equalization on performance of products with it. So I decided to turn on EQ but leave the four filters at gain of zero (so frequency response is not changed). Here is Toslink input with EQ defeated:.. As you see, it has no impact."

I suspect some people have asked that ^ because of a slight misunderstanding of what "bit-perfect" means.

WiiM was being touted early-on as delivering 'bit-perfect' data, and I saw some people interpreting that as "if you mess with any DSP/equalizer at all, you're destroying the 'bit-perfect' signal the WiiM was designed to deliver!" When questioned these folks seemed to be imagining DSP introducing noise or distortion or (something) to ruin the bit-perfect aspect.

I didn't see that so much on this forum, but it was a emerging fallacy for a few weeks there elsewhere.

jooc

Quick question but do you think there is a difference in performance between the Pro and Pro Plus if you intend to keep everything in the digital domain?

For that matter there's no discernable difference between the WiiM Mini and the Pro Plus if they're both used as a digital transport. For that reason many of us would like a WiiM 'Micro', exactly the same as WiiM Mini but with no built-in DAC.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
By digitizing the analog input, the WiiM can equalize your TT system, or cast that audio over to another WiiM somewhere.
Plus control everything from one remote.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suspect some people have asked that ^ because of a slight misunderstanding of what "bit-perfect" means.
Bit perfect is vastly over-rated in my opinion. It's only benefit is if you can verify you have bit perfect, then you can be certain no damage has been done to the audio.

But all properly implemented DSP is going to be inaudible in any case (except where it is supposed to be audible eg when doing EQ) - and there are very few products that have improper implementation.

Even more: if an audiophile insists on bit perfect then they can't have room EQ - resulting in a significant detriment to sound quality.

elmoe420

For that matter there's no discernable difference between the WiiM Mini and the Pro Plus if they're both used as a digital transport. For that reason many of us would like a WiiM 'Micro', exactly the same as WiiM Mini but with no built-in DAC.

Rather I'd like a WiiM Pro without DAC, ADC. The Mini lacks a trigger out and isn't powerful enough for squeezelite support + PEQ etc.

jooc

Fixed that for you :)

Agreed, I'm coming to the conclusion that the advent of truly good, well-performing but inexpensive DACS and class D amplifiers have allowed us to buy a near-perfect 2-channel amplification system for under $750, maybe even much less - which now allows us to put the vast majority of $ toward speakers, where that money probably has the most impact on the sound anyway.

morillon

Major Contributor
Rather I'd like a WiiM Pro without DAC, ADC. The Mini lacks a trigger out and isn't powerful enough for squeezelite support + PEQ etc.
no,.. the peq mode is present on the mini..and for the moment the same as on pro and pro plus

Top Bottom