• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 60 17.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 282 80.6%

• Total voters

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I realize people are sorta complaining about the 4band PEQ as more would obviously be even nicer.

This has 4. 4 more than the zero just about every other product has. Sure 8 or 10 or 12 would be better. I get it.

Newbs in PEQ land.
Rest assured, IMHO with 4 you can do a lot. If you have nice speakers and you are just doing room issues, prolly enough in reality. The micromanager type with need something more but I think I could put all of my truly meaningful room related issues to audible rest with 3 or 4. After that it would just be chasing line eye candy.
I would not be able to to simultaneously do anechoic speaker corrections.

If just doing speaker correction. By themselves 4 filters on most decent speakers is enough for any meaningful gain

Hmmm, I might go 2-3 bands for the room and 1-2 for any clear offender speaker corrections on a great raw measuring pair. That would be pretty decent and smoke the major issues a zero PEQ system would not be accounting for. The difference would be substantial. More filters would be nice but in pretty diminished returns if the speakers are already good ones.

Hopefully they can someday get 6-8 filters. I think 6-8 is enough unless fixing crap or again chasing that 1/24 octave line.
Too true. We see so many devices reviewed here with fantastic measured performance and the criticism is always 'but where is the PEQ?'
Now we have a device with both, for a fantastic price and the criticism is there are not enough filters!!
Very tough crowd.
Wiim will be updating the PEQ in Q1, as I think their focus has been on the Wiim Amp launch.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For a 1 box streaming DAC preamp these are remarkable devices. WiiM already had the rest of it down but now it looks like the DAC is up to snuff too. The only things it could use is more extensive EQ, and loudness compensation. Then it would be the perfect front end for an analog headphone amp. (For speaker use I think the standard Pro, feeding an AVR/P or miniDSP is the better solution. That way you get bass management.)

One really remarkable feature these have is AirPlay broadcast. So you can, for example, connect a turntable and play it through HomePods or a WiiM/AppleTV in another room.

aagstn

But why have an external DAC at all?
You are limited to the one toslink in, but overall I agree. I can get everything I would use my PC for in direct to the Wiim and have the optical for redbook CD audio. I could see only having the one toslink being a hassle if you wanted to connect a TV or other device at the same time.

AdamG

Enjoy the Music your way…
Forum Donor
Budget Network Streamer’s Rejoice. A full functioning EQ capable Network Streamer with SOTA performance for less than $230 Clams is a major technology milestone. I foresee many here scrambling to get this puppy put on their Christmas list. It does so many things great and has the majority of Streaming Services (except Apple Music).

WIIM has dropped the Mic on the Network Streaming Music Device Manufacturers and has undercut their price competition by miles. Great review Amir and its good to see that your measurement results confirm those of @VintageFlanker posted earlier.

Finally a Network Streamer that is reasonably priced and has so many functional attributes and features including EQ. Wow this is indeed the Golden days for SOTA Affordable Audio Kit. :cool:

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
I'm kind of baffled by the RCA input on this...what is that for, how would one use it?
A turntable is a popular use case I imagine. Or a CD player with only analog output.
You can use this for any analogue source either to act as a preamp or to send the signal to another Wiim in the house. Obviously, there's an ADC in there for this.

MKR

Major Contributor
Just to add to the chorus … I love my WiiM Pro. Had it for over a year now, zero complaints. I use only the bitstream output to a JDS Labs Atom DAC (yet another high value and incredible performance piece of kit). I only went with the JDS Labs as at the time the WiiM Pro internal DAC of course was not at the highest level of performance. If the Pro Plus had been available then, would have just gone with it and had a fully transparent one box solution. I should also note I have run the analog outs of the WiiM to the analog inputs of active speakers and the sound was phenomenal, using the WiiMs digital volume control. So even using the “terrible” DAC in the WiiM my ears could not hear a difference vs running WiiM dig out into the JDS Labs.

And I think many have heard, but if you believe WiiM has turned the mega buck (and often mediocre performance) streamer/DAC market on its head, wait until the WiiM Ultra comes out. If I were the Aurenders of the world, I would be very worried!

Finally, let’s not forget the customer service of WiiM. Top notch, some of the most responsive folks I have ever seen in the industry.

All above to say, I am a self avowed WiiM fan boy :D

PS - For those that want to have a say in the functionality of the Ultra, you can post your thoughts here (WiiM is listening!) … https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/wiim-ultra.1731/

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
When I saw the original WiiM puck I thought here’s another half-assed CCA wanna be that will be forgotten. Glad to see I was wrong and these guys are serious about the work they do. It seems they have no competition at these prices, performance and feature packing. Wish they continue this trend.

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was about to complain that the Linn Akurate DSM is not in your comparison list but checked and it doesn't make it! The little Wiim outperforms the Linn at < 5% of the price. The world of streamer/DACs makes no sense, does it? <https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ements-of-linn-akurate-dsm-dac-streamer.6272/>
Absolutely not, for example the Apple Airport Express 2 came out 2012 and was already audibly transparent and relatively cheap. So who pays more for a streamer pays either for (unnecessary) proprietary software, other/more inputs, looks or audiophool surcharge.

Last edited:

DearSX

Nice! Keep 'em coming, love these reviews, even when done by multiple persons.

I use by regular WiiM pro connected to my cheap DAC or powered speakers, love the thing, wish this one was out sooner, I may sell my other 2 or give them away and get this.

So in summary this unit is pretty much all anyone will need in terms of performance (transparency) with any speaker or amp?

Last edited:

Doublej

According to Darko, the Pro Plus has a different DAC, new ADC circuit, and added ballast to the case.

Dave54321

Looks like a really clean implementation of features. I'm curious about Bluetooth performance. Could any speak to or link to the limits of Bluetooth (distance and protocol/codec influence expected)?

BDE

Perfect, well not 100% as a HDMI ARC input is missing.
Wiim noticed it an the new Wiim Amp offers a HDMI input.

@Wiim when will an updated version of the Wiim Pro with HDMI be avilable?

Repdetect

Forum Donor
Looks like a really clean implementation of features. I'm curious about Bluetooth performance. Could any speak to or link to the limits of Bluetooth (distance and protocol/codec influence expected)?
Just checked. The only codecs it supports are SBC and AAC. Unfortunate.

Top Bottom