• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

WiiM Pro Plus Streamer Review

Rate this streamer/DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 4 1.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 60 17.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 273 80.1%

• Total voters

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
@VintageFlanker like the new avatar, I believe the producers are looking for a new James Bond.
Best,
Keith

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks for the review Amir been looking forward to this one.
Brought one a couple of months ago and have been very happy with it. Very stable both in the device and app. Blutooth remote is a bit of revelation after decades of inferred.
One issue I have encountered is that very audible clipping can occur when using a bass shelf PEQ. So I've used negetive gain HS filters to achieve the bass shelve.
Here's an example for my he400se headphone.
Lower the max volume output, then this acts like a pre-amp negative gain. I believe every one percent reduction equals a 0.6db reduction. So if you need a 6db boost, you should set the max volume to 90% (or lower to be safe).

Stokdoof

Forum Donor
Does the WiiM pro + finally support all digital outputs to be active at the same time ? The WiiM pro - does not and I hate it.

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Lower the max volume output, then this acts like a pre-amp negative gain. I believe every one percent reduction equals a 0.6db reduction. So if you need a 6db boost, you should set the max volume to 90% (or lower to be safe).
Turned down to 1v from 2v and it didn't help. Didn't think to turn down max volume uuuggh I'm such a dummy. Now it's pointed out that makes perfect sense. Thankyou.
The offending tune is dj dropping sub hypnosis. Wich is very on the limit.

AudioSceptic

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the WiiM Pro Plus streamer, DAC and preamplifier with Bluetooth support. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $219.
View attachment 332704
While the case is plastic, it still "looks the part" as the Brits would say relative to other more famous brands of streamers. I was pleasantly surprised to see support for analog input:
View attachment 332705

There is both Toslink in and out and even trigger support (for automation/turning on downstream devices). As usual, you need to download an App to get access to full set of functionality. Upon running said app, I was once again pleasantly surprised in it instantly finding the streamer. It asked me if I wanted to upgrade and I said yes. It took about 6 minutes which was rather long but otherwise worked smoothly.

Note that my version is the "Plus" which has a much more performant DAC and retails for more money as a result.

Upon power cycle I went to my Roon player to see if it sees the device but it did not! I could swear I was told it now had Roon support. Searching online showed that it should be there but nope. Power cycle did nothing. FAQ did nothing. Searching on WiiM site did not inform. Searched again and landed on a thread on Roon forum where it said the *Plus* version is yet to be certified. And that it is the standard WiiM Pro that is already there. What a mess. I put most of the blame on Roon for their slow process here but from WiiM front, I would have liked to see a notation in documentation/app saying support is not there yet.

Fortunately Chromecast is supported which gives the same high resolution, bit-exact streaming as Roon endpoing does so I did my streaming tests with that.

One key feature of this streamer is support for both Graphic and Parametric EQ. Latter is limited to 4 bands but that is good enough to do major good for both speaker/headphone response and even room EQ.

WiiM Pro Plus Measurements
Here is our dashboard with Roon pushing bits over Chromecast protocol to Wiim Pro Plus:
View attachment 332706
This is excellent performance for the class, easily landing it in the Excellent category of all DACs tested:

View attachment 332707

View attachment 332708

Distortion was below threshold of hearing so noise dominated:
View attachment 332709
There is a broad sequence of tones at very low amplitude are visible in our jitter test:
View attachment 332710
Levels are below -130 dB though so not remotely audible.

The default filter is provided which is fine by me:
View attachment 332711

IMD and noise are very good:
View attachment 332714

Linearity is perfect:
View attachment 332715

There is however some rise in distortion with decreasing frequency:
View attachment 332716
Edit: looks like there is an improved version that came out to address this last month. My sample is a few months old.

WiiM Pro Plus Equalization Measurement
You all keep asking me about impact of equalization on performance of products with it. So I decided to turn on EQ but leave the four filters at gain of zero (so frequency response is not changed). Here is Toslink input with EQ defeated:
View attachment 332712

And now with EQ on:

View attachment 332713

As you see, it has no impact.

WiiM Pro Plus Analog Input Measurements
Here is the performance with analog in and out:
View attachment 332717
Predictably, we don't have a high performance implementation as far as distortion. Noise while fluctuating some in the dashboard, was good by itself:
View attachment 332718

You have selectable sample rate for analog input which is a nice feature. I set it to max (has no impact on above measurements) and got nice, wide bandwidth:
View attachment 332720

Conclusions
The WiiM Pro Plus is extremely capable streamer with just the right feature set of DAC, EQ and analog input. Plus version nicely ups the performance by a good mile, essentially matching that of our low cost DACs in $100 to $120 range. But then it adds analog input which has no analog in DACs, pun intended. Software shows impressive depth and capability. Other than Roon support not yet being there, I can't critique anything.

I am happy to add WiiM Pro Plus streamer to my recommended list.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
I was about to complain that the Linn Akurate DSM is not in your comparison list but checked and it doesn't make it! The little Wiim outperforms the Linn at < 5% of the price. The world of streamer/DACs makes no sense, does it? <https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ements-of-linn-akurate-dsm-dac-streamer.6272/>

dweeeeb2

Instead of using the 4band PEQ Ive used the 10band GEQ with details obtained from AutoEQ for headphones. Any downside to doing this in general (besides frequencies not exactly aligning)?

TNT

50% is -6dB...

//

Joffy1780

dsnyder0cnn

I'm glad to see that objective performance of the WiiM Pro Plus is this good. That said, I have a preference for separates. For about the same price, one could purchase the WiiM Pro and an SMSL SU-1 external DAC and achieve essentially the same performance...especially if you're not using the analog inputs.

The WiiM Pro Plus is an excellent solution for second systems and probably overkill for background music with active monitors.

For those wanting full Roon integration out-of-the-box in late 2023 or who plan to use an external DAC, the WiiM Pro makes more sense. As I type this, I'm listening to the WiiM Pro + SMSL D-6s DAC playing into a THX AAA 789 headphone amp with Focal Radiance headphones. Great listening experience.

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
Turned down to 1v from 2v and it didn't help. Didn't think to turn down max volume uuuggh I'm such a dummy. Now it's pointed out that makes perfect sense. Thankyou.
The offending tune is dj dropping sub hypnosis. Wich is very on the limit.
I know you figured it out but maybe for clarity for many others who make the same error.

You need to lower the max volume not change the output voltage setting.
The signal is going to clip at max volume with something boosted. You can see why right?
If you boost 80hrz by 6db and turn volume output to 100% you are asking for 6db more output at 80hrz but the output would already maxed at 0db (with no extra gain).

This one nice thing about my miniDSP is it has some headroom built in.

OldTimer

Should compare between Wiim Pro Plus streamer+ Fosi Audio/Aiyama amp to Wiim Amp. Of course, with same speaker.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm glad to see that objective performance of the WiiM Pro Plus is this good. That said, I have a preference for separates. For about the same price, one could purchase the WiiM Pro and an SMSL SU-1 external DAC and achieve essentially the same performance...especially if you're not using the analog inputs.

The WiiM Pro Plus is an excellent solution for second systems and probably overkill for background music with active monitors.

For those wanting full Roon integration out-of-the-box in late 2023 or who plan to use an external DAC, the WiiM Pro makes more sense. As I type this, I'm listening to the WiiM Pro + SMSL D-6s DAC playing into a THX AAA 789 headphone amp with Focal Radiance headphones. Great listening experience.
But why have an external DAC at all?

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I realize people are sorta complaining about the 4band PEQ as more would obviously be even nicer.

This has 4. 4 more than the zero just about every other product has. Sure 8 or 10 or 12 would be better. I get it.

Newbs in PEQ land.
Rest assured, IMHO with 4 you can do a lot. If you have nice speakers and you are just doing room issues, prolly enough in reality. The micromanager type with need something more but I think I could put all of my truly meaningful room related issues to audible rest with 3 or 4. After that it would just be chasing line eye candy.
I would not be able to to simultaneously do anechoic speaker corrections.

If just doing speaker correction. By themselves 4 filters on most decent speakers is enough for any meaningful gain

Hmmm, I might go 2-3 bands for the room and 1-2 for any clear offender speaker corrections on a great raw measuring pair. That would be pretty decent and smoke the major issues a zero PEQ system would not be accounting for. The difference would be substantial. More filters would be nice but in pretty diminished returns if the speakers are already good ones.

Hopefully they can someday get 6-8 filters. I think 6-8 is enough unless fixing crap or again chasing that 1/24 octave line.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
I'm kind of baffled by the RCA input on this...what is that for, how would one use it?

aagstn

I'm kind of baffled by the RCA input on this...what is that for, how would one use it?
I'm using it so I can run my analog audio through the EQ in the Wiim. The Pro Plus is the center of my home audio. Everything runs through the analog or digital in before going to the amp so I can take advantage of the EQ. I also have the option of streaming my analog sources to other rooms using the Wiim. No lugging that cassette deck or turntable outside.

Top Bottom