• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wiim Pro Plus questions before purchase

thomasriise

I am considering buying a Pro Plus. I have iPhone 15 and Apple Music subscription. What will the audio quality be, if I use Airplay and the quality is set to lossless in settings? Will it be AAC 256?
also

How do I connect my iPhone 15 (USB-C) to the Pro Plus with a cable in order to utilize the DAC inside the Pro Plus and also to use High Res Lossless streaming from Apple Music?

Cheers,

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Well apart from Bluetooth and wireless there is optical ‘in’ and LAN.
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I believe converters exist, do you need a physical connection, I must admit I prefer a wired hard connection of some sort if possible.
Keith

OP
T

thomasriise

I am asking on how to (if possible) connect iPhone 15 to the Wiim Pro Plus with a cable? Is there a cable for this?

OldTimer

If you only use Apple Music and low-level volume (small room) then an Apple HomePod helped by surrounding airplay speakers is enough. Just 1 homepod, don’t buy 2. Put her at center of the room. Just tell her: “Hey Siri, play everywhere.”

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
iPhone 15 to the Wiim Pro Plus
Hello, welcome to ASR. :)

You may wish to have a look at this in addition to the basic cheap converters...

XQ2PO100PRO31.jpg

JSmith

OP
T

thomasriise

also: I am considering buying a Wiim Pro Plus. I have iPhone 15 and Apple Music subscription. What will the audio quality be, if I use Airplay and the quality is set to lossless in settings? Will it be AAC 256? Anyone knows this?

staticV3

Master Contributor
also: I am considering buying a Wiim Pro Plus. I have iPhone 15 and Apple Music subscription. What will the audio quality be, if I use Airplay and the quality is set to lossless in settings? Will it be AAC 256? Anyone knows this?
When you stream Apple Music from your iPhone to the WiiM via Airplay, then all audio will be downsampled to 16/44.1. This is how Apple designed their tech.

If you want higher sample rates, then you need to use a wired connection via Toslink, or another streaming service.

Btw, higher sample rates does not mean better audio quality.

OP
T

thomasriise

When you stream Apple Music from your iPhone to the WiiM via Airplay, then all audio will be downsampled to 16/44.1. This is how Apple designed their tech.

If you want higher sample rates, then you need to use a wired connection via Toslink, or another streaming service.

I actually just saw, that it's actually only 256 AAC with Airplay 2, and 16/44.1 with Apple Airplay 1!

OldTimer

HomePod to HomePod can play Dolby Atmos without any cable. Meanwhile HomePod to AirPlay 2 speakers can be 24 bit /48 khz. HomePod do the streaming from Apple Music, not your phone. No iphone in the network, just HomePod along with Airplay 2 speakers.

staticV3

Master Contributor
HomePod to HomePod can play Dolby Atmos without any cable. Meanwhile HomePod to AirPlay 2 speakers can be 24 bit /48 khz. HomePod do the streaming from Apple Music, not your phone. No iphone in the network, just HomePod along with Airplay 2 speakers.
OP doesn't use a Homepod afaik. Just iPhone->WiiM.

telemike

For direct connection of an iPhone or Ipad for Apple Lossless, just connect to a USB DAC directly. No need for a streamer. I did that with my iPad.

OldTimer

For direct connection of an iPhone or Ipad for Apple Lossless, just connect to a USB DAC directly. No need for a streamer. I did that with my iPad.
The problem I found with using iPad is the battery drain become faster. Ipad battery is still more expensive than using dedicated streamer which plug direct to the wall socket and independently (no need other device).

ZoydWheeler

Hi Thomas

Thanks for asking this question. I've been using Apple Music for a while now, as I really like a few of the spatial audio mixes (listening via a Cobalt DAC and decent open backed headphones). And I've just bought a wiiM Pro Plus box to plug into my hi-fi. As such, I was considering switching from Apple Music to Tidal, so that I can use Tidal Connect. However, on first listen to Apple Music playing via wiim Pro Plus on my lounge hi-fi, the music quality sounds great! So I may just stick with Apple Music.

What I will probably do is take a month subscription to Tidal and play around with both that and Apple Music - on both headphones and hi-fi - and unless I can really hear a very clear improvement in audio quality with Tidal Connect via the wiiM Pro Plus - I will most likely stick with Apple Music.

Really keen to hear what other folk with the wiiM Pro Plus's experience is with Apple Music, Tidal Connect etc.!

Best,
Adam

aciii

ZoydWheeler

Update. After using the wiiM Pro Plus for 3 days I’ve decided to ditch Apple Music and use Tidal hi-fi instead. As it costs the same (£10.99 a month) and the sound quality is noticeably better and the user experience with Tidal Connect is fantastic. Problem solved!

Top Bottom