• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Wiim Amp vs Yamaha AS-801 for KEF R5 Metas?

98pm89

I'm leaning towards Yamaha AS-801 but want to check here if Wiim's new amp will be an adequate replacement for R5 Metas? It is rated 120wpc against 185-188wpc of the as801 to drive 4ohm speakers.

I'll be listening through a streamer (DMP-A6) primarily feeding the amp at moderate loudness.

Thank you.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just going on the sensitivity number for the R5 Meta, you can get ~105dB at 2m with 120w and 107dB with 180. So, especially if you're not listening at loud volume, it won't make much difference. http://www.hometheaterengineering.com/splcalculator.html

However, not having seen a review of the WiiM amp yet, remains to be seen if it really holds together at low frequencies. The R5s play pretty low so I wouldn't want to under-power them.

For the money though, I'd sell the DMP-A6 and get the WiiM and give it a shot, unless it doesn't support your source of choice.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I would first say... apples and bananas. The WiiM Amp is indeed a lifestyle (tiny, all-in-one, plug n' play) streaming amplifier. The Yam is a big, traditional AB integrated amp with no streaming abilities.
but want to check here if Wiim's new amp will be an adequate replacement for R5 Metas?
Probably not in all scenarios. Anyway, there would be absolutely no point buying this if you already have a competent streamer, which you do :
I'll be listening through a streamer (DMP-A6) primarily feeding the amp at moderate loudness.
Then, get a good power amplifier (nCore, for instance) with balanced inputs and be done. :)

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Probably not in all scenarios. Anyway, there would be absolutely no point buying this if you already have a competent streamer, which you do :

Then, get a good power amplifier (nCore, for instance) with balanced inputs and be done.
Good advice! I have two 500w nCore monoblocks for sale right now if you're interested. ;)

OP

98pm89

I would first say... apples and bananas. The WiiM Amp is indeed a lifestyle (tiny, all-in-one, plug n' play) streaming amplifier. The Yam is a big, traditional AB integrated amp with no streaming abilities.

Then, get a good power amplifier (nCore, for instance) with balanced inputs and be done.
Thanks, very useful. I missed to add that I have a SVS SB1000 Pro sub. Couldn't find an nCore with sub out.

OP

98pm89

Just going on the sensitivity number for the R5 Meta, you can get ~105dB at 2m with 120w and 107dB with 180. So, especially if you're not listening at loud volume, it won't make much difference. http://www.hometheaterengineering.com/splcalculator.html

However, not having seen a review of the WiiM amp yet, remains to be seen if it really holds together at low frequencies. The R5s play pretty low so I wouldn't want to under-power them.

For the money though, I'd sell the DMP-A6 and get the WiiM and give it a shot, unless it doesn't support your source of choice.
DMP-A6 arrived yesterday. I like that it has Apple Music (subscriber) natively for lossless but it is frustratingly laggy. I'm good with 44.1/48khz playback. The screen helps but not a deal breaker. In-built DAC chips help to use it as DAC + Streamer.

3125b

Major Contributor
Yet, you don't have an High Pass Filter in that case
With competent floorstanders I'd argue having them play full range is preferrable to highpassing if only one sub is used.
but it is frustratingly laggy
It's basically an old Android phone.

Whatever amp you choose is probably fine. If you happen to live somewhere power is ridiculously expensive you might want to consider idle or low output (<1W, which will almost always be the case with sensitive speakers) power consumption. Many amps draw 20-50W when just idling, if you use them several hours a day that adds up.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Whatever amp you choose is probably fine. If you happen to live somewhere power is ridiculously expensive you might want to consider idle or low output (<1W, which will almost always be the case with sensitive speakers) power consumption. Many amps draw 20-50W when just idling, if you use them several hours a day that adds up.

The Yamaha AS-801 has an automatic function you can enable or disable to put the amp into standby (less than 0.5W) if there is no signal for 8 hrs.

1701461470302.png

1701461594600.png

3125b

Major Contributor
The Yamaha AS-801 has an automatic function you can enable or disable to put the amp into standby (less than 0.5W) if there is no signal for 8 hrs.
... which is utterly pointless unless you go on vacation and forget to turn the amp off. The issue isn't not turning the amp off when not using it for long periods of time, but rather that it will draw 40W or so whenever it's on, for example using it for a computer sound system that would be many hours almost every day.
In countries with cheap power or when using it for a traditional stereo system this probably doesn't matter much, but it's definitely a considerable cost over time in some cases.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
... which is utterly pointless unless you go on vacation and forget to turn the amp off. The issue isn't not turning the amp off when not using it for long periods of time, but rather that it will draw 40W or so whenever it's on, for example using it for a computer sound system that would be many hours almost every day.
In countries with cheap power or when using it for a traditional stereo system this probably doesn't matter much, but it's definitely a considerable cost over time in some cases.

Someone using it for a computer sound system for many hours each day, along with a monitor, router and other network gear isn’t going to be concerned with another 40w are they?

And where did you get 40W from? An AS-301 and a 501 here consume 19 and 22W at idle and 0/0.123W standby.

Even at 40c per kwhr for 8 hours a day it’s what, 13 cents a day pulling your 40W. Hardly anything.

Boiling one jug of water to make a pot of tea costs more.

Yoku-San

I would take a look at the upcoming Fosi ZA3:

With balanced input and sub out it would have everything you need to integrate your DMP-A6 and your SVS Sub. Although there are no measurements available yet I guess the ZA3 might measure a bit better than the WiiM Amp.

OP

98pm89

If you got the Eversolo why get the wiim amp?
I'm returning the DMP-A6. For Apple Music Hi-Res, the user interface is poor, but more importantly, the playback is laggy due to processor (probably), which is not going to work well over time. Mobile UI for Wiim is also better (I ordered Wiim Pro Plus recently, but today I've also ordered Wiim Amp for a head to head with AS 801). Will post my experience here by the end of the month.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Flippo63

The Wiim amp has all the streaming abilities of the wiim pro plus Except it uses a Sbre Dac chip vs an AKM. The streaming ability should be a wash.

jmtocali

If it serves you as reference, I received this week the Wiim Amp. I'm using with the R3 Metas for music and sound superb. I have also an Onkyo TX-NR7100 where the R3 are the fronts in a 5.1.4 arrangement. I have tested also the R3 in a pure stereo mode with the Onkyo. Really there's no audible difference.

Top Bottom