• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do people like/use Roon?

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello,

I just received my denon x3700h and subscribed for the first time to a streaming service (tidal)
My old 2.0 setup will go in the bedroom

I tried HEOS with tidal + my musics on the PC through DLNA. It's just so neat; however the HEOS android app is kind of garbage AND if I want HEOS in my bedroom i need a 300$ HEOS streamer (that doesn't support audyssey room EQ !!!) '-'.

So

I'm looking at my options, and apparently loads of people use roon player.

I could buy one or two raspberry pi and run roon player on it and have multiroom apparently. But the cost of roon is a bit high (since we also need the streaming subscription ...)

Do you guys know of any other multiroom options that support tidal + DLNA + roomEQ (even if I have to do it by hand with REW or idk) ? If it works with the denon x3700h it's a bonus, else I'll plug a raspberry pi or something to it.

Or is roon THE solution ?
Take a look at jriver. They do multiroom but depending upon your setup, it will likely NOT be exactly in synch like Roon. It is based upon dlna unlike Roon

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I prefer a simple straight forward media player like Strawberry or Cantata with cascading file structure.
They can deliver a bit perfect multich stream to the HDMI data out port of my computer with no issues.
Also appealing is the fact that they're free and open sourced since I'm cheap and a Linux guy. ;)

Screenshot at 2021-11-28 15-27-42.png

Xenio

Thanks everyone, I'll buy a raspberry pi and test out everything you guys recommended to find what suits us the most

Peterinvan

I am using Roon on 3 month trial.
My main use case is to be able to EQ Tidal streams.
One excellent feature in Roon is the ability to export a Soundiz .CSV of any Tidal playlist. I consider these as a backup in case of issues with Tidal.

Top Bottom