• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Why do passive speakers still exist?

carewser

I also assume you understand that "ghetto blaster" is a pretty unfortunate choice in terms eh? ...maybe get with the 2020's here bud.

I'm sorry to see that political correctness exists even in this forum. :mad: I also noticed in your zeal to be PC you didn't provide any alternate term so if you're going to try and control the language here, how about offering some?

ROOSKIE

Major Contributor
I'm sorry to see that political correctness exists even in this forum. :mad: I also noticed in your zeal to be PC you didn't provide any alternate term so if you're going to try and control the language here, how about offering some?
Boombox friend. Anyway I prolly overreacted. The poster I was replying to was coming off to me as a bit entitled and such so I gave him/her a bit of a hard time on purpose. Mostly in fun.

carewser

Aight

As i've already posted though, both terms are inaccurate

They should really all be called "portatunes"

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Also the in-house resources req'd to design and make active speakers and then design and make the amp/DSP PCB is much more than passive speakers.
One can start with complete solutions such as Hypex Fusion, makes the transition easier.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you going to DSP in a sub and “super tweeter” of sorts?
My main speakers (which have been meticulously restored with modern crossover components of the same spec as original, just modern materials),were tested by Julian Hirsch, Hirsch -Houck Laboratories (of Stereo Review Magazine fame) to be:
'At the system resonance of 60 Hz, the output was only about 2 dB above its average level in the upper part of the woofer's range, and even that minor output variation was spread over almost two octaves. When the bass curve was spliced to the room-response measurement, the resulting composite frequency response was flat within about ± 2 dB from 26 to 20,000 Hz.'
With my NAD 2200 triplets (one of which is the unit Amirm tested) in a bridged mono at 4 ohms left & right amps (speaker load is a low of 4.6 ohms) and the third amp running stereo into the subs at the L & R subs 2 ohm load, the only DSP that I SHOULD need (I'm being very hopeful here) is from 80 Hz to 15 Hz.

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In a world where amazing active speakers / monitors exist, why do passive speakers not only continue to exist but are almost 90% of all speakers sold ( i guess).
What are the benefits of a passive speaker vs an active one?

Many factors... However, one of the most important factor is that both are entirely different components of an audio system.

If you have an active speaker, you will need both speaker + amp (electronics). It increases your R&D and manufacturing cost significantly. You have to remember that most hifi speaker manufacturers are not MNCs with lots of $$$ at their disposal. Same goes for amp manufacturers.

Other limitations like space too. Esp. for bookshelf speakers. It is not easy to cramp an adequate amplifier into such limited space.

Market demand is another factor. One major benefit of active speaker is space. With everything integrated, all they need is power. Some even allows bluetooth/wireless. However, for many audiophiles, space is not that big of an issue. Afterall, you still need adequate space for speakers to perform properly.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
Probably just marketplace momentum as much as anything. And there are some minuses to actives with DSP that Doodski mentioned in reverse.

An active with amps and built in DSP can make for a great speaker. OTOH, if any part of that goes bad, your whole speaker is bad. Could be a DSP chip gets zapped by voltage spikes, could be an amp let go, or anything. Any one part ruins the whole and people don't like that.

Oh, and XLR's just never took over. I wish they finally would for actives and passives. I don't think it will ever happen however.
In 11 years of continuously using powered speakers they didn't fail me once. Is your experience different?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Boombox friend. Anyway I prolly overreacted.

They've been Ghetto Blasters since the early 1980s when talented rap dudes were spinning around on bits of cardboard in alleyways. We don't even have ghettos in Australia, but everybody called them GBs or GhettoBlasters.

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Why....blabla ?
The business and the audiophilia... Blabla.

valerianf

I am not sure that active/passive speakers are targeting the same market.
To me it is similar to electric/conventional cars.
It is not the same dude behind the wheel!

OP
Pearljam5000

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
I am not sure that active/passive speakers are targeting the same market.
To me it is similar to electric/conventional cars.
It is not the same dude behind the wheel!
Most audiophiles don't even consider actives, it's psychological thing

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
...Bla Bla is a solid argumentation...

1625211764852.png

Frgirard

Major Contributor
Bla Bla is a solid argumentation
I do not describe the organization on the audiophile market.
Take you by the hand and lead your survey.

The question is strange as why there are vinyl or why there are pré-amp....

escksu

On more thing, COST..... Active speakers are actually more expensive to build than passive + amp...

Each speaker requires its own circuit board, transformer. If you have built-in DAC/DSP etc, you need 1 per speaker. In an integrated amp, its just 1 transformer for both channels. 1 DAC/DSP will do. Hence it reduces manufacturing cost.

escksu

Of course, there are also other positive points of an active speaker. If the speaker and amp/electronics are deisgned by built by the same company, they will have greater control over its performance/quality. Speaker/amp pairing will not be an issue since they are by same company.

Of course, the company can also make speakers, amp and even cables etc. and sell you as a set.

Top Bottom