• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which Vinyl LP's sound better than the version on a corresponding CD?

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This has come up a few times, most recently in the why do LPs sound better thread.

So, which LP releases sound better than CD?

Enchy

The Long Goodbye: LCD Soundsystem Live at Madison Square Garden

The RSD 5LP release is a different master than the mp3/FLAC version. Something about being “mastered for analog”. Whatever that means. IMO the master of the LP release is far superior to the one on the streaming services.

D

Deleted member 28849

This has come up a few times, most recently in the why do LPs sound better thread.

I believe you are asking me. First of all my signal path for the vinyl usb output would be phono pre to computer, computer 48k dvd quality output to external dac by usb upsample to 192k, external dac to processor dac upsample 96k, to mixer, repeat. So the signal path the vinyl would have been upsampled 4 times. Similar upsampling would have been applied to cd versions.

Now I did not do an A/B comparison, just went by audio memory being familiar with the recordings. I was hearing details from the vinyl source that I know I hadn't heard from the cd versions. The difference wasn't night/day just a fuller sound and what I call depth in detail. Whereas the cd version has a thinner sound and not the same level of detail.

The albums are, actually 3, Tangerine Dream- Le Parc & Poland, Gary Numan- Living Ornament's- 1980 re-mastered.

TulseLuper

Forum Donor
Bob Dylan Bootleg Series Vol 4. Live 1966, "Royal Albert" Concert. Some crowd noise and transitions between tracks are missing in the digital versions (Spotify, Qobuz). Doesn't "sound better" though.

Last edited:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Caverna_Magica.jpg

R-1385276-1425052435-9542.jpeg.jpg

2224.jpg

THE-COLOUR-OF-SPRING-ac.jpg

61gNOZaecsL.jpg

Linus

Doggystyle by Snoop Doggy Dogg & Ready to Die by The Notorious BIG on Vinyl me, Please have nothing to do with with the CD versions I own. Expensive, but the sound crazy good.
Nevermind “320” print sounds way better than the digital version I have.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Odd. That's a DDD recording according to Amazon, and there was a hybrid SACD available.
The LP version is from 1982 recorded in "Mas Des Chênes Verts", in Harmonia Mundi location, near Arles where I am from. It was not recorded in digital. Anyway I don't pretend to tell the truth, it's just my feelings, and also in the title the subject is "CD", not sacd.
And I conclude wit this: everything sounds better from a Technics.

Daverz

Major Contributor
The LP version is from 1982 recorded in "Mas Des Chênes Verts", in Harmonia Mundi location, near Arles where I am from. It was not recorded in digital. Anyway I don't pretend to tell the truth, it's just my feelings, and also in the title the subject is "CD", not sacd.
And I conclude wit this: everything sounds better from a Technics.

I suppose there may have been parallel analog and digital recordings made at the time.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Celtic Frost - Monotheist. It may be intentionally part of the sound, though, but I know which one I prefer.
index.php

index.php

Attachments

• Ground waveform (CD).png
    Ground waveform (CD).png
    7.3 KB · Views: 553
  • Ground waveform (LP).png
    Ground waveform (LP).png
    13.7 KB · Views: 563

Harryharryharry

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon. Sounds phenomenal on both but better on viynl even though I've only played it through a DJ turntable so probably not the best for sound quality...

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
The Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery & Imagination - Edgar Allan Poe.

Reason is that Alan Parsons did not just use the original master tapes for the CD, but re-mastered (remixed) the whole thing, trying to improve it. For me he ruined it. At least that is my personal view as a fan of the original. Now I see that they still sell the vinyl but it says '1987 remix' - that must be the CD version pressed into a circular groove. Well, I still have the original from 1976.

Edit: I just found out that in 2007 they released a 'Deluxe Edition' 2 CD set that has both versions. Well, can't say I missed that as I hate to pay multiple times for the same stuff.

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The Sviatoslav Richter Liszt piano concerto disc and the double CD/LP of the "Chess" musical both sound better on my system on LP than CD, but that will be because of the different mastering, or some emphasis created by my record player, because a digital recording of the LP sounds like the LP not the CD.

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Alan Parsons Project - Tales of Mystery & Imagination - Edgar Allan Poe.

Reason is that Alan Parsons did not just use the original master tapes for the CD, but re-mastered (remixed) the whole thing, trying to improve it. For me he ruined it. At least that is my personal view as a fan of the original. Now I see that they still sell the vinyl but it says '1987 remix' - that must be the CD version pressed into a circular groove. Well, I still have the original from 1976.

Edit: I just found out that in 2007 they released a 'Deluxe Edition' 2 CD set that has both versions. Well, can't say I missed that as I hate to pay multiple times for the same stuff.

Thank you @MC_RME
Mentioning Alan Parson
You just reminded me that I kept LP's somewhere which I just re-discovered.
I just have Pyramid; it's the 1978 version.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All the Pixies studio albums sound better on vinyl.
Leftism by leftfield is amazing on the triple vinyl version.
Bizzaro by the Wedding Present I prefer on vinyl, the guitar clatter is more integrated in vinyl.
Giant Steps by The Boo Radleys is like a different recording on vinyl, the kick drum is the best recorded kick drum I've ever heard, and has caused more than one dealer to say the same, it's barely there on the CD version. The guitars also sound perfect on vinyl.
Generation terrorists by the Manic Street Preachers, I prefer the vinyl.

The list of what sounds better on CD is too long to even contemplate.

Top Bottom