• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which two phono preamps do you want measured?

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have three phono preamps that I have bought. Pick two that you want to be compared against each other in the first round:

ART ART DJPREII Pro Audio DJPRE II Phono Turntable Preamplifier: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000AJR482/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
BEHRINGER MICROPHONO PP400: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H2BC4E/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
U-Turn Audio - Pluto Phono Preamp: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B018WK56JE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And provide any special measurements you like to see.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Behringer and another.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Pluto and Art.

Then later, Behringer PP400 vs Behringer Uphoria using the mic pre's as phono inputs.

Are you going to use an actual test record?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Are you going to use an actual test record?
No, I am using my analyzer to generate signals and then make measurements using RIAA corrected filter.

I may do some listening tests with my ancient turntable if it still works. :)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How would RIAA correction be applied in the case of latter?
You could do it with digital EQ after the fact or by using some good EQ in DAW software real time or thru other convolution software like that used for room correction.

I don't know if you have any DAW software, but Reaper has a couple plugins that could do it. You can try Reaper for free if you like for an unlimited time.

REA-EQ is a parametric EQ based upon IIR filters with as many bands as you wish. REAFIR is an FFT based EQ. Both are included. IIR would be more like analog filtering for the RIAA curve.

You can see screenshots of the controls halfway down this page.
http://reaper.fm/reaplugs/

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah OK. I thought it had it built-in or something.

No, but a number of people have used microphone inputs for ripping LPs. The tricky part is the input impedance will not be the 47 kohm most moving magnets are looking to find.

Wombat

Master Contributor
ART and Pluto

Then Cambridge CP2 and NAD PP4( with USB). Also ART Phono Plus( with USB) and Technolink TC Link TC 756 USB. Not budget breakers.

Last edited:

deniall83

If you're able to get hold of the Schiit Mani and Lounge Audio LCR MKIII I would love to see measurements on both.

Wombat

Master Contributor
It would be nice to have a change from DACs and headphone amps. :)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If you're able to get hold of the Schiit Mani and Lounge Audio LCR MKIII I would love to see measurements on both.

If memory serves, Scott Wurcer did some measurements on the Lounge preamp and found that RIAA conformance was terrible. The whole LCR equalization thing that is the selling point seems contrived. It's a unit I'd also like to get my hands on for some detailed measurement.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
No, I am using my analyzer to generate signals and then make measurements using RIAA corrected filter.

That's back to front.

The reverse RIAA network/attentuator must go between the analyzer generator output and the input of the phono preamp. Measurements are made directly from the output of the preamplifier.

You can't feed a flat signal to the phono stage and do the reverse RIAA correction on the output- the results will be meaningless.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The reverse RIAA network/attentuator must go between the analyzer generator output and the input of the phono preamp.
That is where it is:

1535684333278.png

Top Bottom