• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dynavox TPR-2 preamp measurements

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
INTRODUCTION AND DESCRIPTION

Hi all. I'm posting measurements of the Dynavox TPR-2 line/phono tube output preamp. Sorry US members, only available in 230V AC.

Pics, description and specs can be found on the Audiophonics page. It's a solid state phono preamp with a 12au7 triode output, used direct for the line input. With a seperate power supply unit to generate the various AC voltages, which are then rectified within the main unit.

A circuit seems to be floating around for it on ye olde flickr. As can be seen from the circuit:

• two stage active RIAA for phono, with supposedly LT1028 in the first stage, NE5534 in the second (RIAA) stage.
  • rather high mm capacitance loading with 377pF total
  • single 12au7 dual triode with no feedback, so high distortion and output impedance likely
  • rectification inside the main box.
My unit arrived with a pleasant surprise. The tube was a PSvane red ECC82 rather than a generic China tube. As in the Stereoplay review that you can get a grainy pic of floating around, all opamps were NE5534.

The guts of mine:

tpr-2.jpg

MEASUREMENT APPROACH

I used my RME ADI-2 PRO FS R for measurements, driven by @pkane 's multitone software. It's excellent in this application, especially with the ability to apply an inverse RIAA curve to the generator to test RIAA accuracy. To limit time, I generated using the RME +4dBu range (1.23V) and +19dBu (6.9V) on the ADC (input) side. Yes, this means no CD level tests but you will soon see that is not too important.

LINE STAGE

At max volume, with the pot preceding the tube, and 1.23V in, this is the result below. Level out is -7.4dBFS wrt 6.9V = 2.94V, so ~7.6dB gain. Lots of distortion with this drive level, but very quiet with just the tube stage. Note, given the likely high output impedance, this will be higher into loads with a higher input impedance that the RME's 9kohm. I confirmed this by repeating a measurement into my NAD C3050LE, with an impedance of 28kohm (set to unity gain). Gain of the unit was around 3dB higher. With the two measurements, you can then solve the voltage divider simultaneous equations to estimate an output impedance of the TPR-2 of ~7150ohms.
line in vol max 1.8dBV=1.22V.jpg

Backing off the input a bit to 0.5V, still wide open improves things a bit. If you want to use a 2V source, you will need to keep the volume low to keep distortion reasonable.
line in vol max  -6dBV=0.5V.jpg

A THD+N vs level sweep shows the gradual rise in THD:
level sweep line in 1.8dBV=1.22V max in.jpg

For brevity, I wont show the very flat THD vs frequency curve, but here is the very good line input crosstalk:
XTALK L TO R 0.5V IN 1.1V OUT.jpg

Frequency response shows some drop-off at the lower end. Note this was 0.5dB better at 20 Hz into the higher impedance NAD:
FREQ RESPONSE -40dBFS IN NO RIAA LINE IN 96k.jpg

This is probably enough on the line input, but here's CCIR at 0.5V in, volume set to unity gain. It again illustrates the flat distortion performance of something with no feedback:

CCIR IMD UNITY GAIN L 0.5V.jpg

PHONO STAGE
I wont show all 1kHz plots as they are affected by grounding, but at full volume, mm gain was 39.4dB, mc was 53.3dB. Which is strange, given the circuit show give 20dB higher for mc over mm. NOTE: input was 5mV, not 0.5mV!
0.5mV in mm max vol 0.47V out 39.4dB gain.jpg

RIAA response shows within +-0.5dB in the audio-band, with rolloff below and lift above (again title error was 5mV in):
mm RIAA response 0.5mV L.jpg

OVERLOAD: reducing volume to "half" to be able to focus on the phono stage, overload for mm at 1kHz is ~69mV: Ignore +N given grounding issues.
THD vs level mm half vol rise at 69mV in.jpg

For mc, it was about 12mV in, but a very soft clip. Again focus on THD rather than THD+N due to grounding. I hope to measure overload at other frequencies as well. Sorry for a different scale to the previous plot (dBV out rather than dBFS at the output).
THD vs level mc half vol rise at 12.3mV in.jpg

Crosstalk with phono stage, again pretty good:
mm 0_5mV RIAA L into R xtalk.jpg

What about noise? After reading the LT1028 datasheet, it made for interesting reading about noise vs source impedance. Hence I measured noise with a cartridge attached, AT VM540ML for mm and AT OC9XEN for mc. Yes, I could have used resistors but attaching a cart was easier and perhaps more representative of use. I also obtained some (expensive) LT1028s and tried them (after soldering in DIL sockets):
  • mm, NE5534, SNR 75dB, 78dBA
  • mm, LT1028, SNR 65 dB, 67 dBA
  • mc, NE5534, SNR 58dB, 64 dBA
  • mc, LT1028, SNR 64 dB, 71 dBA
This seems expected for the LT1028, better noise for a low impedance mc but worse for the higher impedance mm.

Given the specs state a mm SNR of 68dB for mm and 70dB for mc, this is perhaps A weighted and for the LT1028 as was in the schematic. Close to what I measured.

CONCLUSIONS
It seems a competent design, within the constraints of the triode output! I have reduced the mm input capacitance to ~100pF and may try other opamp types (perhaps NE4434A-grade in an attempt to get a balanced noise performance between mm and mc. I will also investigate the mc gain and perhaps lift it up a bit by changing the first stage resistor switched in if the value is not as expected.

For driving a power amp the high output impedance may not be an issue, but may use is as a phono pre into the NAD C3050LE. Lucky it's input impedance is reasonable.

Attachments

• THD FREQ SWEEP 0.5v IN 1.1v OUT.jpg
    THD FREQ SWEEP 0.5v IN 1.1v OUT.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 66
  • FREQ RESPONSE l 0.5V LOG-CHIRP.jpg
    FREQ RESPONSE l 0.5V LOG-CHIRP.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

Donutoftheheart

really appreciate this!! Hard to find a ton of info on these preamps. I've recently upgraded my preamp and am now using the tpr3 as just a tube buffer stage. I was curious as to what gain/range I should fix the preamp to? And would it be unique to each tube? I'd like to avoid adding any excessive distortion as the audible sibilance as I increased the volume on my tpr3 is why I upgraded in the first place. Thanks!

OP
dougi

dougi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
really appreciate this!! Hard to find a ton of info on these preamps. I've recently upgraded my preamp and am now using the tpr3 as just a tube buffer stage. I was curious as to what gain/range I should fix the preamp to? And would it be unique to each tube? I'd like to avoid adding any excessive distortion as the audible sibilance as I increased the volume on my tpr3 is why I upgraded in the first place. Thanks!
I'm no tube expert, but have been playing with modelling the TPR-2 in LTspice to see if different tube types would make much of a difference. (conclusion is not much point given low plate voltage means can't really take advantage of higher gain 12XX7 series variants, you just get more distortion with a tiny bit of more gain). The TPR-3 has 6N3s, but circuit would be similar. So keep the volume somewhat below maximum unless you want THD in the 20s! The ideal point may change with exact tube, but given there is one per channel, you will need matched tubes anyway to avoid excessive channel imbalance.

Top Bottom