• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which TPA3255 amp do you recommend?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9685
  • Start date

Tangband

Major Contributor
Can you tell me? - if i want to use a Aiyima A07 at 36V, how many Ampere should the power supply have to use the most potential at 36V? Or does it even make more sense to use a TPA3251, if i want to run it at 36V only? I didn't really find the answer for that yet.

36V for Aiyima a07 is fine.
You will need about 8 A for that. Remember that you have two channels to drive. Often the measurements only show one channel.
You also need the ”crest” factor to consider. With real music, if the two loudspeakers are 8 ohms, you might get away with slightly less than 8 A. With two 4 ohms speakers - absolutely 8 A as a minimum.

If you with tpa3251 are meaning the Aiyima a04 , you have to remember that the power-caps in that amplifier are only rated 35 V.
So 28V 6A would be safer.

Remember that Aiyima a07 surely can play music with 36V and only 3A at low volume, but the amplifier will current-clip long before any voltage-clipping when you play louder or using 4 ohms loudspeakers.

Last edited:

Ralferator

You will need about 8 A for that. Remember that you have two channels to drive. Often the measurements only show one channel.
You also need the ”crest” factor to consider. With real music, if the two loudspeakers are 8 ohms, you might get away with slightly less than 8 A. With two 4 ohms speakers - absolutely 8 A as a minimum.

If you with tpa3251 are meaning the Aiyima a04 , you have to remember that the power-caps in that amplifier are only rated 35 V.

Remember that Aiyima a07 surely can play music with 36V and only 3A at low volume, but the amplifier will current-clip long before any voltage-clipping when you play louder or using 4 ohms loudspeakers.

Thank you! I was thinking about getting a 36V 5a power supply but i guess that's not enough then.

Ralferator

Just to see if i understood right. If i would use a 32V 5A power supply with the Aiyima A07 and with the Aiyima A04 (TPA3251), i would get the same power at 8 Ohm, right? No advantage in power for the Aiyima A07 with that power supply, right?

Tangband

Major Contributor
Just to see if i understood right. If i would use a 32V 5A power supply with the Aiyima A07 and with the Aiyima A04 (TPA3251), i would get the same power at 8 Ohm, right? No advantage in power for the Aiyima A07 with that power supply, right?
Please take a look at Texas instruments spec papers for tpa3251 and tpa3255. There you can see how much output there will be for a given voltage. Look at the BTL ratings. It looks like just over 100 watt in 4 ohms for each channel, for both amplifiers with a 31 volt power supply.

The main reason to have tpa3255 is that you can have a power supply with more power , more voltage, so using 32V 5A for both amplifiers should give you about the same power to the loudspeakers. But - with the Aiyima a04 you are dangerously close to the power-caps ratings , 35 V.
With the tpa 3255 at BTL mode ( as in Aiyima a07 ) , 36 volt gives you around 140 watts for each channel in 4 ohms if you have enough current ( 8 A for driving 2 channels at the same time ) .

The tpa 3251 chip has slightly better spec regarding noise.

Last edited:

Ralferator

Please take a look at Texas instruments spec papers for tpa3251 and tpa3255. There you can see how much output there will be for a given voltage. Look at the BTL ratings. It looks like just over 100 watt in 4 ohms for each channel, for both amplifiers with a 31 volt power supply.

The main reason to have tpa3255 is that you can have a power supply with more power , more voltage, so using 32V 5A for both amplifiers should give you about the same power to the loudspeakers. But - with the Aiyima a04 you are dangerously close to the power-caps ratings , 35 V.
With the tpa 3255 at BTL mode ( as in Aiyima a07 ) , 36 volt gives you around 140 watts for each channel in 4 ohms if you have enough current ( 8 A for driving 2 channels at the same time ) .

The tpa 3251 chip has slightly better spec regarding noise.

Thank you - that helps. I will power 8Ohm speakers so should i rather go higher than 36V for the TPA3255? Toku told me that the Aiyima A07 can get pretty hot when used with higher voltage. But is that only a problem with 4 Ohm speakers or also with 8 Ohm speakers? (The minimum is 4,5 Ohm for the speakers)

Bushellj

xhitespirit

I run my Aiyima (Tilear) TPA3251 and TPA3255 Amplifiers with a Mean Well LRS-200-24 turned up to 29 volts for exactly the same reasons. 200 Watts is more than enough for normal domestic listening.
Agree ! In our case, 350w because it feeds 2 amps.

Last edited:

daniboun

Major Contributor
Both are different, there are a few versions of the A07 : The first version I got, got some pop issues when switching ON / OFF and the second I bought was OK no more pop issues. In both cases : bad caps, cheap components for the A07.

I repeat myself but the A04 with Tilear black PCB is the best "Chinese" module I have tested, specially with OPA + inductors upgrade. Genuine Muse 02 Op amps shine with this little amp )

DuncanTodd

Both are different, there are a few versions of the A07 : The first version I got, got some pop issues when switching ON / OFF and the second I bought was OK no more pop issues. In both cases : bad caps, cheap components for the A07.

I repeat myself but the A04 with Tilear black PCB is the best "Chinese" module I have tested, specially with OPA + inductors upgrade. Genuine Muse 02 Op amps shine with this little amp )
Did you check out the teardown posted this morning?

Bushellj

Unfortunately the Black PCB version is long gone. Tilear replaced this with the Green PCB some time ago although the new Green PCB itself appears to be identical with the same version level markings. Only the heatsink is now bigger and the capacitors have changed over time to cheaper (non branded) versions.

I recently placed a new order for an original Black PCB Tilear model. What I have received is the Green PCB version with the current low grade components. They have now changed the Badge to "Tilear XZD-1752 Pro" - Still advertising it with Elna Capacitors !! There are no Elna Capacitors in this unit and I got a $13 refund from AliExpress from the supplier for shipping a product "not as described".

Power Supply Caps are now by "Arc Audio" and reduced in Capacity from 3000uF (on the original Elna Caps) to 2200uF 35v.

The input Caps to the Op-Amps are 10uF 50v TK and the input Caps to the TPA3251 are 10uF 16v Nichicon Gold.

That said, the Aiyima A04 / Tilear XZD-1752 Pro is still an excellent little amplifier for the price and can be upgraded with OPA1656 very easily. Other than that I would only consider maybe bypassing a few of the Caps if you are feeling skilled with a soldering iron !! Run this with a 24 to 32 volt, 5 Amp (or more) Power Supply and you have a little Gem.

daniboun

Major Contributor
@daniboun did you see the review and teardown on the A07? Was it only the A04 that had the different builds or both?

Hi, yes I just read it and checkout full review and measurements here :

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/aiyima-a07-tpa3255-review-amplifier.18984/

The A07 in the tested version is doing pretty well! I can tell you, and I own both, that the A04 with the minor upgrades is much better and it audible when you listen. I had to send it to Amir for an ASR review but the American person couldn't ship it to him .... what a pity !

I would have liked to send mine to Amir but I'm in Europe ....

DuncanTodd

Hi, yes I just read it and checkout full review and measurements here :

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/aiyima-a07-tpa3255-review-amplifier.18984/

The A07 in the tested version is doing pretty well! I can tell you, and I own both, that the A04 with the minor upgrades is much better and it audible when you listen. I had to send it to Amir for an ASR review but the American person couldn't ship it to him .... what a pity !

I would have liked to send mine to Amir but I'm in Europe ....
If you want to sponser a review, you can always order it and have it dropshipped to him, but you'll probably not get it back as it would be quiet expensive to ship it to Europe after.

Last edited:

cyberzigot

Unfortunately the Black PCB version is long gone. Tilear replaced this with the Green PCB some time ago although the new Green PCB itself appears to be identical with the same version level markings. Only the heatsink is now bigger and the capacitors have changed over time to cheaper (non branded) versions.

I recently placed a new order for an original Black PCB Tilear model. What I have received is the Green PCB version with the current low grade components. They have now changed the Badge to "Tilear XZD-1752 Pro" - Still advertising it with Elna Capacitors !! There are no Elna Capacitors in this unit and I got a $13 refund from AliExpress from the supplier for shipping a product "not as described".

Power Supply Caps are now by "Arc Audio" and reduced in Capacity from 3000uF (on the original Elna Caps) to 2200uF 35v.

The input Caps to the Op-Amps are 10uF 50v TK and the input Caps to the TPA3251 are 10uF 16v Nichicon Gold.

That said, the Aiyima A04 / Tilear XZD-1752 Pro is still an excellent little amplifier for the price and can be upgraded with OPA1656 very easily. Other than that I would only consider maybe bypassing a few of the Caps if you are feeling skilled with a soldering iron !! Run this with a 24 to 32 volt, 5 Amp (or more) Power Supply and you have a little Gem.

Amir specifically mentioned his unit was a new purchase. Meaning the latest now have black pcb with nichicon caps ?

DuncanTodd

Amir specifically mentioned his unit was a new purchase. Meaning the latest now have black pcb with nichicon caps ?
Who knows. The A07 has the same black board as in the pics, but A04 on the Aiyima website doesn't have a picture of the board. I have an A04 a couple months old but I don't have the right screwdriver to open it ;)

daniboun

Major Contributor

I recently placed a new order for an original Black PCB Tilear model. What I have received is the Green PCB version with the current low grade components. They have now changed the Badge to "Tilear XZD-1752 Pro" - Still advertising it with Elna Capacitors !! There are no Elna Capacitors in this unit and I got a $13 refund from AliExpress from the supplier for shipping a product "not as described". .

If I may, all this has already been said several pages back ... see my exchanges with the Aiyima representative

At the risk of repeating myself and without giving me any compliments, I tested almost all the TPA325X modules on the market, the very high-end ones like Chinese productions (I must have at least 15 to 20 modules to my credit). The one and only Chinese module that I did not sell and which will never be produced again = black PCB Aiyima A04 Tilear 2.1 with Elna 3000µF x2 with Elna Red Rob caps for the Buffer.
It is the one and only Chinese module which is comparable with, for example, a top end Drmordor module.(i own both TPA3255 + 3251)

I am waiting for Jlester TPA3255 module and the brand new Allo TPA3255 as well. I could soon compare them to the Purifi modules that I'm also waiting for (with some custom Buffer made in Italy).

I put my hand to cut and I am almost certain that the Aiyima A04 black PCB 2.1 with a good LLC PSU (35V / 8.5A) + a clean AC filter and the minor upgrades I made (OP amps MUSE 02 + Inductors update) would get an excellent result on ASR !

Last edited:

daniboun

Major Contributor
Top Bottom