• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which TPA3255 amp do you recommend?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9685
  • Start date

daniboun

Major Contributor
What do you guys think about these and what is the difference between them?

https://de.aliexpress.com/item/33053173227.html
https://de.aliexpress.com/item/33051621419.html

Also: Are seperate Subwoofer Amps worth it or just go TPA3255 2.1??
I currently use the Behringer A800 + SMSL Sanskrit 10. SK10 MKII and at least need to uprgrade sub amp.

They seem to be the same. this a 2.1 or Sub amp.

When "PBTL/SUB" is switched to "SUB", SPK OUT connects to the passive subwoofer.

When "PBTL/SUB" is switched to "PBTL", SPK OUT connects to the full range speaker + active Sub.

Pillepalle

They seem to be the same. this a 2.1 or Sub amp.

When "PBTL/SUB" is switched to "SUB", SPK OUT connects to the passive subwoofer.

When "PBTL/SUB" is switched to "PBTL", SPK OUT connects to the full range speaker + active Sub.

I understand the concept, but they are mono, so I would use them for a passive sub. Plus they have different chips: TPA3255 / TPA3255D2.

This is their 2.1: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/4000240242901.html

daniboun

Major Contributor
Yes the 3255D2 (1st link) is Mono so you need two units. But you Can use it as a full range amp or sub dedicated amp.

The second one is 2.1 amp you re right. You Can use it as a full range + sub amp only

In any case : keep it mind those Watts are chinese Watts and make no sense :)

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi amigos,

Wanted to share some pictures of my new Jlester TPA3255, I will review it soon.

Spec :

Jlester TPA3255 module
PFFB : Yes
OPA 1656
Coilcraft inductors (flat wires)
Samsung FC power caps 4x 1800uf
SMPS LLC PSU 44V (350W / 600W peak)
EMI / RFI Filter
Nichicon UES buffer caps
Alu case / twisted cooper cables

Measures :

THD+N 5W , 1Khz : 0.0016%
5W 8Ω: 0.0007% THD
10W 8Ω: 0.0008% THD
5W 4Ω: 0.0012% THD
10W 4Ω: 0.0014% THD
Sinad 5W / 4R : 95

daniboun

Major Contributor
Looks nice. Is a finalized product? Price?

It is a DIY amp, based on Jlester high end module.
It is not a market product : The price could be fixed with the included labor + equipment cost

nerone

That's nice! Congratulations!
how does it sound compared to drMordor with OPA 1656?

daniboun

Major Contributor
That's nice! Congratulations!
how does it sound compared to drMordor with OPA 1656?

Hi, as said : I will review it later ) Need to listen it carefully before comparing

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi amigos,

Let me share now my review about Jlester TPA3255 module. As first sight, the module seems very well made and exudes quality.
It is clear that Jlester attached particular importance to the design of the board and there is a nice symmetry in the implementation of the components.

For a quick comparison with DrModor TPA3255 module :

Some measurements to compare :

JLESTER TPA3255 :

PURIFI :

THD+N 5W , 1Khz 0.0006
THD+N 100W 20-20Khz 0.00017
THD+N 10W 20-20Khz 0.00029
Sinad 5W / 4R : 108
SNR : 131DB (ASR shows 128DB)

BOSC Starkrimson Gan :

THD+N 5W , 1Khz : 0.0004%
THD+N 100W 20-20Khz : 0.0092%
THD+N 10W 20-20Khz 0.0025%
Sinad 5W / 4R : 105
SNR : 121DB

ALLO TPA3255 (to be confirmed) :

THD+N 5W , 1Khz 0.00014
THD+N 100W 20-20Khz 0.0097
THD+N 10W 20-20Khz 0.0091
SNR : about 117DB

DrMordor TPA3255 :

N/C : No measurements for the moment…

XRK TPA3255 :

THD : 25W, 1khz : 0.0017%
THD + N : 25W, 1khz : 0.0037%
THD 10W / 8R : 0.0012% THD

As you know I own lots of TPA325X modules and and now that the theory is set, let's stick to a "human" listening. For information I also own a dual Mono Purifi amp + dual Mono NC500MP Hypex Ncore amp.
I think I have acquired a lot of experience since I registered on this forum, it goes without saying that this review implies a part of subjectivity in my assessments). Now that the basics are laid, here's what I can tell you about the Jlester module

Setup :

Jlester TPA3255
OPA1656 (will check with Genuine Muse 02 Op amps later).
SMPS LLC PSU @44V @350W (600W peak)
AC EMI / RFI special filter
Twisted cooper cables
Full Alu case with
PFFB : ON

Source :
HD Audio Playlist
Streamer : LG V30
DAC : Double AK4497 / Dual Linear PSU
Speakers : Top end DIY Floor Speakers 93DB / 2.5 Way with Ribbon tweeter.

Soundstage :
I find here the exceptional signature of the TPA325X chips, as I have always claimed on my reviews, the TPA325X is splendid concerning the soundstage. Everything is well separated, the instruments are well detached from each other, I clearly find what I felt when listening to the Drmodor module or even my updated Aiyima TPA3251. No doubt, the TPA325X continues to surprise me.

Mediums :
If I refer to listening to the DrMordor module with the OP Amps Mc33272 and the very good caps Elna Silmic II, I find the combo OPA1656 + Muse UES great too. We feared with Jlester a sound a little "cold, even metallic". In the end this combo works rather well) It's clean, the voices are well detached from the instruments, the mids are definitely good.
Jlester also found the voices were constrained on PFFB mode, I did not particularly feel that way. I also gave a try with the Muse 02 and the voice are clearly more present towards the front of the stage.

Trebles :
As strange as it may seem, I find them a little more nuanced than on the DrMordor module. On my Jazz register in particular, I found the reproduction of the cymbals smoother and more neutral than with its competitor. the highest notes are very well transcribed in general.
Acoustic guitars and other stringed instruments are very well reproduced, the micro details are present and we really feel something very alive when listening; particularly on the highest notes.

Bass :
Here is a point that questions me a little .... I found the bass very well maintained on the DrMordor module and rather pronounced when listening. On the Jlester module, they are less prominent but still present. We have the impression of a more natural rendering on the Jlester module. In both cases, the overall bass rendering is very good : nothing to envy my Hypex Ncore modules for example )

Module sensitivity :
As I often stream via my DAC in APTX HD, I highlighted a big problem with the DrMordor module. The latter is extremely sensitive to this wireless protocol. I sometimes have very audible interference that creeps into my speakers. With the Jlester module I have no problem here) I think the PCB of the Jlester module is less prone to interference, unless the cause of the problem is related to the integrated LLC power supply of the DrMordor module ... Jlester Module is at the top at this level and it is more than appreciable!
Another point, although the DrMordor module is rather silent, gluing my ear to the speakers I perceive from time to time, some noises probably generated by PSU of the DrMordor module. Whereas when I glue my ear to my speakers with the Jlester module, it's less noticeable.
Anyway : it's not really disturbing when listening to my playlist.
I would end this note with a small negative point concerning the Jlester module: I have a slight POP sound when I turn it off but nothing to report when I turn it on…

Conclusion :

I think Jlester has designed a very interesting module. It is clearly a high-end module. It's better than my 3E Audio (I have the RTR module and the finished amp as well).
Given that DrMordor does not reveal any measures concerning its module, we can therefore conclude that the Jlester module should be up to the announced measurements. (let's wait for the ASR review).
I was really looking forward to testing this module and it's done) I really recommend its purchase.

Here are a few items that will help you with a possible purchase: Jlester module with an SMPS LLC PSU will cost you around $200, the XRK audio module will cost you $250 without PSU. The DrMordor Module will cost you around $170 with integrated PSU but without tangible measurements…. PS : I will compare it to my Purifi modules as soon as my Custom Buffer is finished.

ModDIY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi Danibourn,

Thanks for the feedback on these TPA3255 amps.

The price you indicated, is it the price of populated PCBs, or is it rather the price of PCBs with the separate parts?

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi Danibourn,

Thanks for the feedback on these TPA3255 amps.

The price you indicated, is it the price of populated PCBs, or is it rather the price of PCBs with the separate parts?

This is the price for the RTR Module. (that is different from a finished amp).

daniboun

Major Contributor
RTR = ready to run (need to add case, bananas speakers, PSU, switch etc)
Finished amp = all assembled amplifier, you can use it out of the box

b1daly

Forum Donor
Hi amigos,

Let me share now my review about Jlester TPA3255 module. As first sight, the module seems very well made and exudes quality.
It is clear that Jlester attached particular importance to the design of the board and there is a nice symmetry in the implementation of the components.

For a quick comparison with DrModor TPA3255 module :

Some measurements to compare :

JLESTER TPA3255 :

PURIFI :

THD+N 5W , 1Khz 0.0006
THD+N 100W 20-20Khz 0.00017
THD+N 10W 20-20Khz 0.00029
Sinad 5W / 4R : 108
SNR : 131DB (ASR shows 128DB)

BOSC Starkrimson Gan :

THD+N 5W , 1Khz : 0.0004%
THD+N 100W 20-20Khz : 0.0092%
THD+N 10W 20-20Khz 0.0025%
Sinad 5W / 4R : 105
SNR : 121DB

ALLO TPA3255 (to be confirmed) :

THD+N 5W , 1Khz 0.00014
THD+N 100W 20-20Khz 0.0097
THD+N 10W 20-20Khz 0.0091
SNR : about 117DB

DrMordor TPA3255 :

N/C : No measurements for the moment…

XRK TPA3255 :

THD : 25W, 1khz : 0.0017%
THD + N : 25W, 1khz : 0.0037%
THD 10W / 8R : 0.0012% THD

As you know I own lots of TPA325X modules and and now that the theory is set, let's stick to a "human" listening. For information I also own a dual Mono Purifi amp + dual Mono NC500MP Hypex Ncore amp.
I think I have acquired a lot of experience since I registered on this forum, it goes without saying that this review implies a part of subjectivity in my assessments). Now that the basics are laid, here's what I can tell you about the Jlester module

Setup :

Jlester TPA3255
OPA1656 (will check with Genuine Muse 02 Op amps later).
SMPS LLC PSU @44V @350W (600W peak)
AC EMI / RFI special filter
Twisted cooper cables
Full Alu case with
PFFB : ON

Source :
HD Audio Playlist
Streamer : LG V30
DAC : Double AK4497 / Dual Linear PSU
Speakers : Top end DIY Floor Speakers 93DB / 2.5 Way with Ribbon tweeter.

Soundstage :
I find here the exceptional signature of the TPA325X chips, as I have always claimed on my reviews, the TPA325X is splendid concerning the soundstage. Everything is well separated, the instruments are well detached from each other, I clearly find what I felt when listening to the Drmodor module or even my updated Aiyima TPA3251. No doubt, the TPA325X continues to surprise me.

Mediums :
If I refer to listening to the DrMordor module with the OP Amps Mc33272 and the very good caps Elna Silmic II, I find the combo OPA1656 + Muse UES great too. We feared with Jlester a sound a little "cold, even metallic". In the end this combo works rather well) It's clean, the voices are well detached from the instruments, the mids are definitely good.
Jlester also found the voices were constrained on PFFB mode, I did not particularly feel that way. I also gave a try with the Muse 02 and the voice are clearly more present towards the front of the stage.

Trebles :
As strange as it may seem, I find them a little more nuanced than on the DrMordor module. On my Jazz register in particular, I found the reproduction of the cymbals smoother and more neutral than with its competitor. the highest notes are very well transcribed in general.
Acoustic guitars and other stringed instruments are very well reproduced, the micro details are present and we really feel something very alive when listening; particularly on the highest notes.

Bass :
Here is a point that questions me a little .... I found the bass very well maintained on the DrMordor module and rather pronounced when listening. On the Jlester module, they are less prominent but still present. We have the impression of a more natural rendering on the Jlester module. In both cases, the overall bass rendering is very good : nothing to envy my Hypex Ncore modules for example )

Module sensitivity :
As I often stream via my DAC in APTX HD, I highlighted a big problem with the DrMordor module. The latter is extremely sensitive to this wireless protocol. I sometimes have very audible interference that creeps into my speakers. With the Jlester module I have no problem here) I think the PCB of the Jlester module is less prone to interference, unless the cause of the problem is related to the integrated LLC power supply of the DrMordor module ... Jlester Module is at the top at this level and it is more than appreciable!
Another point, although the DrMordor module is rather silent, gluing my ear to the speakers I perceive from time to time, some noises probably generated by PSU of the DrMordor module. Whereas when I glue my ear to my speakers with the Jlester module, it's less noticeable.
Anyway : it's not really disturbing when listening to my playlist.
I would end this note with a small negative point concerning the Jlester module: I have a slight POP sound when I turn it off but nothing to report when I turn it on…

Conclusion :

I think Jlester has designed a very interesting module. It is clearly a high-end module. It's better than my 3E Audio (I have the RTR module and the finished amp as well).
Given that DrMordor does not reveal any measures concerning its module, we can therefore conclude that the Jlester module should be up to the announced measurements. (let's wait for the ASR review).
I was really looking forward to testing this module and it's done) I really recommend its purchase.

Here are a few items that will help you with a possible purchase: Jlester module with an SMPS LLC PSU will cost you around $200, the XRK audio module will cost you $250 without PSU. The DrMordor Module will cost you around $170 with integrated PSU but without tangible measurements…. PS : I will compare it to my Purifi modules as soon as my Custom Buffer is finished.

My man, you should really be doing blind listening to make such claims. I am 99.9% sure you could not distinguish these amps in a reasonably careful blinded AB test. It doesn’t how skilled a listener you are or how much you think you can eliminate psychological bias: you can’t.

A proper test has to be level matched to .1db. Two amps that sound identical, if one is .5 dB louder in an AB test will sound MUCH better than the identical sounding amp. Not louder, better.

All this faffing about with op amps, capitors, it’s just a waste without careful listening tests.

Note: properly conducted listening test are based on subjective perceptions but will result in objective data.

It‘s frustrating to see all sorts of irrational and false concepts being promulgated here on ASR.

daniboun

Major Contributor
I agree but :

but a lot of people buy amps referring to measurements, and here I am giving human perception and announcing measurements. I have been a musician for several years and my father is a classical guitarist and harmonica player, I think I have a good ear to take on my feelings.

It may not be the best way to share a test but I have the merit of having tested many amps on Diyaudio and here ...

I suggest you wait for the Jlester ASR test which should arrive very soon)
You should read carefully

b1daly

Forum Donor
I agree but :

but a lot of people buy amps referring to measurements, and here I am giving human perception and announcing measurements. I have been a musician for several years and my father is a classical guitarist and harmonica player, I think I have a good ear to take on my feelings.

It may not be the best way to share a test but I have the merit of having tested many amps on Diyaudio and here ...

I suggest you wait for the Jlester ASR test which should arrive very soon)
You should read carefully

There is a difference between properly controlled subjectivity and uncontrolled. A proper blinded test relies entirely on subjective impressions, not objective measurements. So it will provide valid and useful information.

The first step is clearing an ABX test. You would probably not (I am certain actually) be able to distinguish between your amps in such a test. So all of your subjective reports have no value.

If you were able to consistently distinguish between two amps, let‘s 95% or above, you could do an AB comparison where you try to give subjective characterization of the sound. But without passing ABX these have negative value. You are confusing yourself and others.

You obviously spend a lot of time and money on audio. You could save these resources if you would put yourself to the challenge of trying proper ABX. Otherwise you spend resources forever, ’chasing the tail.’

ASR is a great site but it has led ironically to not only people buying equipment based on measurements, which can be justified, but people becoming convinced that they can hear differences in gear because they know the measurement.

I am baffled by this fallacy. It is a weakness of ASR in the conduct of tests of Amps and DACs. Because the ’recommendations’ are based on measurements and the vast majority of gear hear is sonically indistinguishable. I think this is a misuse of audio measurements.

The focus of the original ‘objectivist’ approach was the idea that measurements can tell you all you need to know about gear, and that once a certain level of performance was reached that was good enough. You could be happy with your Kenwood or Pioneer and not need to spend thousands on things that sound no better.

This attitude that measurements are the supreme characteristics of audio gear is wrongheaded. We listen to gear, measurements are irrelevant at that point.

The idea that you can distinguish between two well designed op amps by ear is madness.

As a real world example, the other day I had picked up a cheap chip amp board. (A very interesting one Aurylic Up2Stream 2.1 has WiFI, Bluetooth, USB, Sub amp, and DSP.)

I did a quick listen. I wasn‘t expecting much as the amp is low power. But it sounded pretty bad at first listen. I set up quick test against a Marantz receiver that I like the sound of. I have a switch to compare two amps. As soon as I got the levels matched they sounded exactly the same.

The obsession over measurements in the better measurements means better product is unscientific.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Thank you and I hear your arguments and point of view. It is respectable and interesting. Regarding the OP amps, I disagree : take a look @DIYaudio forum when I talked about OPA1656. / TPA3251 / 55.
Many people were doubtful about my feedback ... and since everyone equips their TPA3255 with the OPA1656 ... I imagine that beyond my subjectivity, people have therefore tested what I was relating) Too bad you are not in France, as skeptical as you may be: if you switch from the OPA1656 to a Muse 02 on the Jlester or on my updated Aiymia A04 : it's clearly audible without saying that one is better than the other. ..

In the end the OP Amps are a bit to class D what tubes are to class A)
But I agree with you ... we still have to select the right ones)

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
If you were selecting the preferred ones after a level matched ABX test that showed an audible difference then there wouldn't be any argument. It would then be instructive to have some measurements of each to show what might have caused the audible difference. The controlled conditions are needed because of the ways the brain is known to trick even trained listeners, and the clear differences from sighted tests often disappear when proper controls are used. Equally the lack of difference when you 'know' something should sound the same can become a clear difference in a controlled test.

daniboun

Major Contributor
If I understand your reasoning ... in the end, you might as well be content with what you like) So I imagine that investing in a Purifi-type amp (for example) is a placebo in itself because the measures announced are not absolutely not perceptible to the human ear ....

DuncanTodd

There is a difference between properly controlled subjectivity and uncontrolled. A proper blinded test relies entirely on subjective impressions, not objective measurements. So it will provide valid and useful information.

The first step is clearing an ABX test. You would probably not (I am certain actually) be able to distinguish between your amps in such a test. So all of your subjective reports have no value.

If you were able to consistently distinguish between two amps, let‘s 95% or above, you could do an AB comparison where you try to give subjective characterization of the sound. But without passing ABX these have negative value. You are confusing yourself and others.

You obviously spend a lot of time and money on audio. You could save these resources if you would put yourself to the challenge of trying proper ABX. Otherwise you spend resources forever, ’chasing the tail.’

ASR is a great site but it has led ironically to not only people buying equipment based on measurements, which can be justified, but people becoming convinced that they can hear differences in gear because they know the measurement.

I am baffled by this fallacy. It is a weakness of ASR in the conduct of tests of Amps and DACs. Because the ’recommendations’ are based on measurements and the vast majority of gear hear is sonically indistinguishable. I think this is a misuse of audio measurements.

The focus of the original ‘objectivist’ approach was the idea that measurements can tell you all you need to know about gear, and that once a certain level of performance was reached that was good enough. You could be happy with your Kenwood or Pioneer and not need to spend thousands on things that sound no better.

This attitude that measurements are the supreme characteristics of audio gear is wrongheaded. We listen to gear, measurements are irrelevant at that point.

The idea that you can distinguish between two well designed op amps by ear is madness.

As a real world example, the other day I had picked up a cheap chip amp board. (A very interesting one Aurylic Up2Stream 2.1 has WiFI, Bluetooth, USB, Sub amp, and DSP.)

I did a quick listen. I wasn‘t expecting much as the amp is low power. But it sounded pretty bad at first listen. I set up quick test against a Marantz receiver that I like the sound of. I have a switch to compare two amps. As soon as I got the levels matched they sounded exactly the same.

The obsession over measurements in the better measurements means better product is unscientific.
Very well said.
I don't expect to hear obvious differences on a listening test. Where I find this of use, is if I'm trying to decide between several products at the same price category. I would then look at the science/measurements as a deciding factor which to get, regardless of whether I can hear it in real world use or not.

Top Bottom