• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which TPA3255 amp do you recommend?

• Thread starter Deleted member 9685
  • Start date

daniboun

Major Contributor
What do you guys make of this?
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/362498-aiyima-a07-tpa-3255-measurements.html
contains link to A04 measurements by the same guy.

For 10 V rms, 1 kHz, 8 R, the A07 seems to be doing a lot better (-96 dB 3rd harmonic) compared to the A04 (-81 dB). Of course, the A04 was the later green board.

I would add, the two amps used here are fairly cheap versions (bad caps etc) compared to the A04 with the 2x 3000µF Elna power caps + Red robe Elna.

I personnally own that A07 and compared it to my A04 (best version) with good caps and upgraded inductors : listening is obvious, the A04 is more organic, better bass, everything is cleaner and more balanced. I am using a 35V / 6A SMPS brick and will test soon with a clean LLC PSU with a good AC filter (35V / 8.5A 300W / 600W peak). I am using OPA1656 on both here.

capslock

Yes, since the PSRR is only 60 dB and only listed as a feature (neither min spec nor typical performance are given in the spec section), caps and a proper external power supply can make all the difference.

I wonder why noone so far seems to tried air core inductors. A 7 or 10 µH air core is not that unwieldy.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Yes, since the PSRR is only 60 dB and only listed as a feature (neither min spec nor typical performance are given in the spec section), caps and a proper external power supply can make all the difference.

I wonder why noone so far seems to tried air core inductors. A 7 or 10 µH air core is not that unwieldy.

That's a good question, but Air Core inductors are more expansive but they perform better )
I will test soon the brand new Allo TPA3255, this seems to be very promising and the first measurements show that it is at least as good as the Purifi modules ) Allo is using Air Core Inductors and some brand new design.

At 150W it already performs : THD+N 1Khz at -102 :eek:

Last edited:

capslock

Who measured those -102 dB - do you have a link?

I don't think a TPA32xx can ever come close to a Purifi objectively. A Purifiy has no thermal feedback between the MOSFETs and the analog comparator and copious abmounts of feedback which the TPA just does not have. If now screwups happened with the buffer and power supply, it will measure in the -125 dB territory and even better.

Reactions: pma

pma

Major Contributor

I don't think a TPA32xx can ever come close to a Purifi objectively. A Purifiy has no thermal feedback between the MOSFETs and the analog comparator and copious abmounts of feedback which the TPA just does not have. If now screwups happened with the buffer and power supply, it will measure in the -125 dB territory and even better.

You are right, capslock. TPA32xx cannot come close to Purifi.

daniboun

Major Contributor

I will be of the opinion to wait for the ASR test, it could surprise us ...
That measure has been shared by Allo founder in DIYAudio.com. (demo sample, it is not official yet)

Anyway, the performance / price ratio may be very very promising ) fingers X

THD+N 1Khz at -102
THD 5W , 1Khz 0.00014 :)
THD+N 100W 20-20Khz 0.0097 (harmonic dominated)
THD+N 10W 20-20Khz 0.0091

Anyway, I'll tell you what I think of them listening) Since I could compare them to my Purifi soon and even vs the Jlester module) And during February vs Drmordor's Gan modules )))

I think I would have gone through almost all of the new generation class D modules)

Last edited:

capslock

Well, 0.00014% is -117 dB, which is impressive for a TPA. But remember the loop has poor gain bandwidth, so it falls apart above 1 kHz, unlike ncores and purifi.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Well, 0.00014% is -117 dB, which is impressive for a TPA. But remember the loop has poor gain bandwidth, so it falls apart above 1 kHz, unlike ncores and purifi.

That's right. Regarding this point, I rest my hopes on Drmordor's Gan modules which should offer a loop gain of the order of 75/80db....
I expect a lot from him, hoping that he can measure what has been announced ...

Gan Drmodor Prototypes :

capslock

Now is that DrMord or drmordor? I can't find anything on the formers pages.

daniboun

Major Contributor

daniboun

Major Contributor
Amigos...

I have the feeling that Aiyima still has not kept his promises.... Another TPA3255, with bad caps....

H450ee35e29c14283bbfb45565abc2c05S.jpg

H7ee689f5a4904a5391d678014d2236f1J.jpg

AIYIMA TPA3255 Bluetooth 5.0 Digital Power Amplifier 315Wx2 Audio Speaker Amplifier Class D Sound Amplificador PCM5102 Decoding| | - AliExpress

Paccidat

Hello fellow enthousiasts

I am looking for a good option to "feed" my Linkwitz LX minis. For that I will need 4 channel amplification.

Currently i use 4 TPA3118 based mini modules. It is fine but somewhat edgy, for this setup. So I am looking for something else.

On my quest i found a number of 3255 based amps among which the 3e audio amps also discussed in this forum. I would need 2 of those however

Then I found this one: Ebay amp
A 4 channel device, that would be quite nice.

Perhaps someone has tried this device. How does it compare to the 3e audio option? It is hard so search for this device in the forum as it does not have a unique identifier

daniboun

Major Contributor
Take a look in diyaudio.com I saw someone talking about this 4 channels TPA3255.
I can't share the link, need to make a research

daniboun

Major Contributor
This one looks really interesting, thanks for sharing.

I will let you know when I get it next month ) I will be able to compare vs Purifi vs Jlester vs Allo )

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I will let you know when I get it next month ) I will be able to compare vs Purifi vs Jlester vs Allo )

Are you just getting the board or complete kit (board + case + etc.)?
I see that group buy has already ended, coasting was around 170$ including shipping?

daniboun

Major Contributor
Are you just getting the board or complete kit (board + case + etc.)?
I see that group buy has already ended, coasting was around 170$ including shipping?

I am talking about DrMordor Gan modules... They are not to sell yet )
170$ is for the TPA3255 All in One with LLC PSU (module + PSU)

If you need one, let me know via private message

I do my DIY amps myself (Purifi / Hypex Ncore etc)

Last edited:

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I am talking about DrMordor Gan modules... They are not to sell yet )
170$ is for the TPA3255 All in One with LLC PSU.

If you need one, let me know via private message

Thanks daniboun, I don't need it at the moment but will surely ping you if needed. Is it the one you shared the picture in post #750?

daniboun

Major Contributor
Thanks daniboun, I don't need it at the moment but will surely ping you if needed. Is it the one you shared the picture in post #750?

This one :

PS : I also have some Hypex Ncore to sell

Top Bottom