• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which Streamer

Dagoxx

Hello
Hope you are having all a great time.
I have at the moment a Auralic Aries Mini but would like to upgrade it

At the moment I have some streamers in mind
- Eversolo 6
- Atoll MS120
- Fiio + PowerSupply
- matrix-digi.com mini-i_Pro_4
- Silent Angel Munich M1

The alternative would be to split Transport and DAC

What is your take on it.

Which product would you choose

Have a great time

Dagoxx

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi, welcome to ASR! What features do you need, and what performance numbers are most important to you?

Often we recommend WiiM because 1) they have a lot of features 2) they're affordable 3) The DAC on the Pro and Pro+ is compentent.

If you split transport and DAC you can definitely go with WiiM, even the Mini will give you full resolution and good functionality.

OP
D

Dagoxx

Hello
Thank you for your fast answer.
The shortcommings of the Auralic are missing Android App (only Iphone).
Better Soundquality even that Auralic for the buck as really a good Streamer
My features would be
- Soundquality
- Android App
eventually also a Display but not must have
You are reviewing so many Streamer that I thought it makes a difference.
Thank you
Dagoxx

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
WiiM has an android app, the sound quality (especially with external DAC) will be basically perfect, same as with any other good streamer. The more important thing is to have a proper amp and good speakers.

Chazz6

... the Auralic are missing Android App (only Iphone).
BubbleUPnP is an Android app that will recognize most streamers. You can get the app free. Connect your Android device to your home network, make sure the Auralic is also on the network, and look at the servers that BubbleUPnP sees.

OP
D

Dagoxx

Hello
I know I have tried BubbleUPnP and believe me I do not try to have an excuse for a new streamer but .....
Is WiiM + DAC so good that it can beat a 1K-2K Streamer
If I see your comments WiiM vs Eversolo for example, than (and please excuse me) I do not understand all the reviews about Streamers
But I do see so many reviews about Streamers here that some off theme would suit, so I believe

Last edited:

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
From an audio aspect most likely equal rather than beat, assuming the 1k-2k streamer is competently engineered. The Wiim, like any competent streamer, is capable of passing the bit-perfect signal to the DAC. We have measurements showing a load of inexpensive (<$200) DACs will be audibly transparent - in a controlled test you won't be able to tell them apart.

The real differentiators will be features/capabilities, aesthetics, long term support and whether you get on with the interface.

ErVikingo

In my case it comes down to the interface. I chose a WiiM Pro out digital to a Topping D90SE.

Wiim app is very intuitive, they do updates all the time. Topping auto turns on when Wiim feeds a signal.

Only thing I would like is a display different than my phone

OP
D

Dagoxx

Hi
Thank you for your comments
So to summarize.
It is more versatile and and better to have Wiim Pro + Topping D90SE than a Streamer which will be on a par to -2k streamer
I might be aggressive so what is the need to have reviews of -2k streamers if they are not better? If soundquality matters?
I am entering here in a minefield but guess that this question is legitimate or am I wrong.

ErVikingo

For me I got the Topping to use with my Wiim and my transports. The Topping is better than my old SOTA Theta which is from a time gone by...

Your questions are legitimate. Get a good DAC, you already (reportedly) have bit perfect streaming from Wiim pro and an easy to use app

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
Thank you for your comments
So to summarize.
It is more versatile and and better to have Wiim Pro + Topping D90SE than a Streamer which will be on a par to -2k streamer
I might be aggressive so what is the need to have reviews of -2k streamers if they are not better? If soundquality matters?
I am entering here in a minefield but guess that this question is legitimate or am I wrong.
Look at a different way. Test data shows that low cost streamers can sound as good as expensive ones. So jump in the pool and swim at a low cost. Decide if you are satisfied with the sound quality. Most of us think you will. Now features and UI are the only consideration if the test data is good. Go to the WiiM (current value purchase) threads and read what owners say especially the most recent posts, as that device has had many updates. Move on.

OP
D

Dagoxx

Hi
Thank you very much.
Saddly the Wiim has no Screen but combo with a good DAC would be the choice
Hopefully they but out a streamer with a screen. Or you take a good streamer (similarly to Wiim) with screen and get a great DAC.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Wiim ‘ultra’ may be on the horizon, hopefully not the far horizon.
Keith

OP
D

Dagoxx

Great news that means Santa Claus can come and visit me

Last edited:

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Saddly the Wiim has no Screen but combo with a good DAC would be the choice
I find using my large 10" tablet as a portable screen and remote control way better than some small fixed screens for my four room system. I can do anything streaming from there, including surfing the internet from anywhere in my home. That is nice as I have Roon for exploring details about the music, album or artist, etc.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
so what is the need to have reviews of -2k streamers if they are not better? If soundquality matters?
It's a legitimate and good question. The unfortunate reality is that a lot of reviewers simply imagine they hear sound quality differences between streamers and DACs. Even amps don't usually make much of a difference in today's world.

There are basically two camps in the audio world. On one side, people hear SQ differences with DACs or streamers, and they are convinced that what they heard was due to the equipment.

On the other side, the things people hear are almost never measurable in the lab, and they almost never show up in blind listening tests either. They hear differences when they are expecting to hear something different and they know which device they're listening to... we also know that cognitive bias ("placebo") can easily make you hear sound quality differences. So we tend to believe the lab results more.

However, if they are reviewing based on UI, design, build quality, connections, etc - yes, that's a good reason to go up in cost, if those things matter to you.

But in terms of sound quality, the digital output of my $60 WiiM Mini is the same as any other digital output, if I have it connected to a competent DAC.

Last edited:
OP
D

Dagoxx

Thank you very much for your answer
It is reassuring getting this answers.
Heard that Wiim plans to add a display with a new device. Only to find a good DAC which you reviewed here. Topping could be one or Chord. Which could work best with Wiim?

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you very much for your answer
It is reassuring getting this answers.
Heard that Wiim plans to add a display with a new device. Only to find a good DAC which you reviewed here. Topping could be one or Chord. Which could work best with Wiim?
Any DAC with optical or coax input that gets a good review here should be fine. There are many... favored brands here include Topping, SMSL, Schiit (sometimes), RME, JDS, MOTU, maybe a few others. Chord is generally considered just as good, but too expensive. Beyond that, it is up to you which features you need, output voltage your amps need, etc.

I should also mention that the WiiM Pro+ has a very good DAC in it. It would be very hard or impossible to hear a difference between that streamer, and any streamer connected to an external DAC. @VintageFlanker did a review here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-pro-plus-review-measurements-streamer.47020/

So you don't really need an external DAC either. But, if you want to future-proof and have separate components or whatever, there are certainly plenty of good options.

Last edited:

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Hello
I know I have tried BubbleUPnP and believe me I do not try to have an excuse for a new streamer but .....
If I see your comments WiiM vs Eversolo for example, than (and please excuse me) I do not understand all the reviews about Streamers
But I do see so many reviews about Streamers here that some off theme would suit, so I believe
What was wrong with BubbleUPnP?

Top Bottom