• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speaker would you like to be reviewed? (community interest thread)

nerdoldnerdith

I find it ironic that none of his speakers have measurements (even the frequency response specs don’t state +/- dB) yet I found this on his blog post about frequency response:

We know his subs perform, it’s the speakers that I’m interested in.
His subwoofers are about as good as gets, but I was frustrated by the lack of measurements available when I bought mine. I have no doubt that the speakers measure well, but he probably just doesn't have time to measure everything. I can attest to how overwhelming it can be staying on top of things when you run a business by yourself.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
His subwoofers are about as good as gets, but I was frustrated by the lack of measurements available when I bought mine. I have no doubt that the speakers measure well, but he probably just doesn't have time to measure everything. I can attest to how overwhelming it can be staying on top of things when you run a business by yourself.
I mean, the speakers have been for sale for years without revision.

But yes, the Data-Bass measurements show his subs are great, I even own an S1500 (got it last year on closeout for $600).

Vaskis

"Reasonably" priced bookshelves available in EU, so list is a bit on longer side, but this extended possibility to see you some which are available there in US:

FOCAL CHORA 806 (only of the bunch with front port)

Dali Spektor 2
Dali Oberon 1
Dali Oberon 3
MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE 50
MONITOR AUDIO BRONZE 100
MAGNAT SIGNATURE 503
MAGNAT SIGNATURE 703
HECO AURORA 300
CANTON GLE 426.2
CANTON GLE 436.2
CANTON CHRONO 20
CANTON CHRONO 30
WHARFEDALE DIAMOND 12.2
WHARFEDALE EVO 4.1
B&W 606
B&W 607

Gurkerl

HEDD Type 07 Mk 2
KRK Rokit RP10-3 G4
Dynaudio Lyd 48
Kali WS-12

Last edited:

222fbj

Forum Donor
A Full Range speaker with High Sensitivity - the type often recommended for low power tube amps (eg Fostex driver, Madisound Kits).
I only have knowledg of these from the internet... while I was considerig the purchase of a Tube amp. Maybe someone with experience could recommend models for evaluation. Thanks for asking - very nice of you;-)

Enchy

I remember reading that thread. To be fair, Tom V said that he would update the PSA site with measurements of the latest model incorporating new drivers as soon as the weather warms up but if measurements were needed immediately it would be best to shop elsewhere. Measurements of an older model would likely not be representative of the latest models with new B&C woofer and tweeter.
I went back and re-read it too and I think I took it wrong when I first read it. That's a more accurate read of what he said, yes.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm, do you know why I can't edit the first post anymore ?
Members who are not Forum Donors have a limited time to edit their posts.

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I mean, the speakers have been for sale for years without revision.

But yes, the Data-Bass measurements show his subs are great, I even own an S1500 (got it last year on closeout for $600).

The original PSA speakers were introduced with Eminence drivers. In 2019 the compression drivers were upgraded to B&C. Starting a few weeks ago the woofers were upgraded to B&C. The crossovers have also been upgraded. Virtually everything has been revised from the originals.

Kat3

I'd love to see a review of anything from Wilson, Von Schweikert, Magico, Borresen, Marten. In general I'm just curious to see that price level of gear compared to the more realistically priced gear. Probably easier to test the high end amps/dacs though as the speakers are huge but anyway that's what I would love to see!

YSC

Major Contributor
more on subwoofers?

And beside reviews, I think some kind of tutorials to properly setup subwoofer as 2.1 systems would be nice also, be it with subs with high pass or do some external subwoofers. As most audience in Youtube is likely less technically advance than expected and that will benefit a lot from learning how to set up a 2.1 and have more views than review some mega dollar beasts

Richard Berg

No--those are custom made cabinets from over there. The Audioholics reviewer actually liked the more expensive versions, and didn't think the high end was dull. I've used the same AMT tweeter (from Aurum Cantus) in two designs and voiced it pretty much flat, so the RBH measurements are a little puzzling. But it was a deliberate decision, not sloppy Xover work.
If the forum wants to see more expensive RBH spins, I have some to loan.

https://rbhsound.com/img/spec_sheets/tis_t1.pdf

Would wanna crowdfund the shipping though.

concorde1

JBL 4429 - jblsynthesis.com/products/loudspeakers/type/bookshelf-loudspeakers/4429.html?dwvar_4429_color=Cherry-Germany-Current&cgid=bookshelf-loudspeakers

Revel Gem2 - revelspeakers.com/products/types/bookshelf/Gem2-.html?dwvar_Gem2-_color=Wood-USA-Current&cgid=bookshelf

Two of my dream speakers!

sfdoddsy

I can't see the point of measuring speakers which have been correctly measured elsewhere like Magico or KEF Reference. You may fault some of Stereophile's practices, or Soundstage, or HiFi News, or some of the European sites. But their measurements tend to confirm each other.

Likewise yet another variation of a cheap two way wave-guided studio monitor seems unnecessary.

We know what is required to design a good one, and pro manufacturers usually publish fairly accurate measurements anyway.

What I'd like to see is more exploration of left-field and small batch speakers. The Philharmonics, Ascends and Purifis are a good start.

But the suggestions earlier about LX521s, LX Minis, Walsh, Soundstream, Audio Kinesis etc etc would be far more useful.

It would be great if some undiscovered genius had actually invented a better mousetrap and your reviews revealed it to the world.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
can't see the point of measuring speakers which have been correctly measured elsewhere like Magico or KEF Reference. You may fault some of Stereophile's practices, or Soundstage, or HiFi News, or some of the European sites. But their measurements tend to confirm each other.
Agreed. Which is why I would like to see Chane, HTD L3, PowerSoundAudio, etc., as they are fairly popular options (at least to those that visit audio forums) that are ID brands so no way to demo unless buying them and returning if you don’t like them.

Somafunk

Major Contributor

Ericglo

I can't see the point of measuring speakers which have been correctly measured elsewhere like Magico or KEF Reference. You may fault some of Stereophile's practices, or Soundstage, or HiFi News, or some of the European sites. But their measurements tend to confirm each other.

Likewise yet another variation of a cheap two way wave-guided studio monitor seems unnecessary.

We know what is required to design a good one, and pro manufacturers usually publish fairly accurate measurements anyway.

What I'd like to see is more exploration of left-field and small batch speakers. The Philharmonics, Ascends and Purifis are a good start.

But the suggestions earlier about LX521s, LX Minis, Walsh, Soundstream, Audio Kinesis etc etc would be far more useful.

It would be great if some undiscovered genius had actually invented a better mousetrap and your reviews revealed it to the world.

Agreed, which is why I mentioned the Skylark. A spin on another model of Revel, Genelec etc. should be down the list.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Well, FWIW, here are the speakers I have coming up:
  • JBL HDI-3800 & JBL HDI-4500. Triple 8-inch 2.5-way floorstanders and Quad 5-inch center channel.
  • Neumi BS5P ($149) - Powered version of the Neumi BS5 small bookshelf speakers I tested last summer. The company actually had a pair from Amazon shipped to me, set to arrive tomorrow. I am personally excited to see these because I was very happy with the value of the passive BS5. These appear to be just a powered version for $60 more.
  • Focal Twin6 Be. I may not do a full blown review of these. But I'll at least provide the SPIN data.
  • (Maybe) * Kali IN-5. I was contacted by them a few weeks ago and asked if I would be interested in testing a pair. So, assuming they follow through with sending me a pair to review I'll be reviewing those.

Last edited:
Top Bottom