• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speaker setup best describes your primary audio system?

Please choose the option below that best describes your primary system

• Passive stereo 2.0

Votes: 82 26.4%
  • Active stereo 2.0

Votes: 31 10.0%
  • Passive stereo 2.x

Votes: 69 22.2%
  • Active stereo 2.x

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • Multichannel 3.x

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Multichannel 5.x

Votes: 32 10.3%
  • Multichannel 7.x

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • Multichannel 9.x

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Multichannel 11.x or more

Votes: 10 3.2%
  • Something else (please post details)

Votes: 13 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Putter

Forum Donor
While I answered 5.1, I have what seems like systems for each room including 2 for the bedrooms. If you exclude the kitchen and bathroom (yes, the bathroom!) since they're basically compact systems playing into upgraded speakers. Here's the listing.

7.1 systems - 1
5.1 systems - 3
2.1 systems - 2
2.0 systems - 4

My primary music systems are a 5.1 desktop system and 2.1 system.
Movies and TV are split between a 5.1 and a 7.1 system.

While the vast majority of listening is stereo based with occasional ventures into multichannel up mixing, I prefer multichannel recordings.

MCH

Major Contributor
Conclusion: Multichannel users talk a lot but aren't many :p;)

gnarly

Major Contributor
I just voted other; hope the following details warrant it.

Main system is 3 channel L-C-R, but it is used solely for music (no HT or TV use).
The idea is to achieve enhancement of normal stereo, thru use of a center channel.

The center channel is driven by a matrix along the lines of Gerzon's Trifield work. Multiple matrices are switchable via presets.
Further presets allow listening to any single speaker with L-R summation, normal L-R stereo, L-R both with L-R summation, all three with L-R summation. These help identify how a stereo recording was made, to try to determine what matrix works best when.

L-C-R speakers are all the same ..... a 5-way active. (The bottom section on each is a sub.)

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
I am still a bit shocked that the multichannel use is not higher.
And I would guess multichannel usage is at least an order of magnitude greater on this forum than in the general population (at least in this part of the world). There's obviously a fairly high percentage of the 'multi-curious' here ... ;-)

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
While the vast majority of listening is stereo based with occasional ventures into multichannel up mixing, I prefer multichannel recordings.

I can understand your preference for multichannel recordings.

If you don't mind, why are your ventures into upmixing only "occasional"?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Conclusion: Multichannel users talk a lot but aren't many :p;)
Right? I feel like a proper dinosaur listening to two channels on horn speakers....

I'm ok with that! :)

Reactions: MCH

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Right? I feel like a proper dinosaur listening to two channels on horn speakers....

I'm ok with that! :)
Here's the idea...
You and other 2-channelers aren't dinosaurs, and those of us that are multi-channelers aren't abhorrent. :) And we are all OK with everybody! :D

I can't speak to Putter's situation, but for Rock or other "conventional" Music I find the MC Upmixing to create a very artificial sound. On the other hand, Electronica upmixes quite well in my experience, perhaps because as a former performing musician I do not have the expectation of how an actual instrument sounds IRL compared to the manufactured sound. *shrugs

Duke

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Here's the idea...
You and other 2-channelers aren't dinosaurs, and those of us that are multi-channelers aren't abhorrent.

Well I suppose that being a ryanosaur WOULD qualify you as the resident expert on who is and is not a dinosaur...

I can't speak to Putter's situation, but for Rock or other "conventional" Music I find the MC Upmixing to create a very artificial sound. On the other hand, Electronica upmixes quite well in my experience, perhaps because as a former performing musician I do not have the expectation of how an actual instrument sounds IRL compared to the manufactured sound.

So upmixing tends to sound more artificial (relative to stereo) for "conventional" music? Very interesting. Thanks!

I mean... roawwwr!

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's the idea...
You and other 2-channelers aren't dinosaurs, and those of us that are multi-channelers aren't abhorrent. :) And we are all OK with everybody! :D

I can't speak to Putter's situation, but for Rock or other "conventional" Music I find the MC Upmixing to create a very artificial sound. On the other hand, Electronica upmixes quite well in my experience, perhaps because as a former performing musician I do not have the expectation of how an actual instrument sounds IRL compared to the manufactured sound. *shrugs

Yeah I really enjoy electronica upmixed to surround in my HT system!

(And actually, it often helps many youtube music videos sound nicer too).

Putter

Forum Donor
I can understand your preference for multichannel recordings.

It is hard to describe because it's a subjective 'preference' thing. Upmixing by which I mean using Dolby Surround or DTS Neural X, etc. work on certain genres such as symphonic, some jazz. What I don't like it on is vocal based music. It seems to mess it up. It sounds like a different person. There are also times where all music sounds better upmixed, but most of the stereo is preferred for 2 channel recordings.

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How do you guys like quad? Do you ever try upmixing to the rears or use them only for quad mixes?
Not sure what 'upmixing to the rears' means. I leave it in 7 channel stereo mode, and all 4 speakers just work...

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't find plain 2ch stereo.:facepalm:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What I don't like it on is vocal based music. It seems to mess it up. It sounds like a different person.
This is instructive.
Those of us not playing a musical instrument are much more familiar with human voice than any musical instrument or hall ambience. If "upmixing" is blatantly screwing up the vocals it will also be screwing up all the other instruments just as much but we aren't familiar enough with what they actually sound like to be much offended by it.
Probably.

From a fidelity pov clearly not much use, from a "I like the noise it makes*" pov, a personal choice.

* with apologies to Sir Thomas Beecham

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I voted multich 9.x
The correct statement would be 5.2.4

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I should add that I am not a big video watching person.
I probably watch a film fewer than 3 times per month, and that usually when family come around. The extra channels and sub got switched on twice in August, for example.

If I was more into the video side of things I would have a full, probably Neumann but maybe Genelec, surround system for the video side and listen to music on it as well.

As it is, hours a day music listening to the stereo and mono recordings I have bought means stereo is where my money and effort (room and speaker and listener location) have been spent.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last call!

Looks as though the responses have wound down and considering calling it done for this round

Thanks to all who already voted!

Rick

Last edited:

Offler

Passive 2.0

I was looking for a decent sound solution for a PC. After years of struggling with anything above 2.x - usually issues with drivers and app compatibility, I have decided to go for smaller, simpler setup.

Active/passive was initially not a preference, but I settled for a set of passive DBR-62s with an integrated amplifier fed over SPDIF.

Peterinvan

We sold our house and downsized to a condo.

Primary listening in my small den:
Win 11 PC > KEF LS50W + SVS1000 sub. This works well in my small room that is treated with absorbing panels. Fantastic sound stage and pinpoint isolation. My listening position is an 8’ triangle.

Small living room, and TV:
I tossed the surround sound speakers and JVC receiver and switched to a simple Onkyo 9110 integrated with the ELAC 5.2 speakers that fit horizontally under the TV. Great sound quality and I don’t miss the loud surround effects. I added a Bluetooth receiver for casual music listening from my iPad Pro.

Last edited:
Top Bottom