• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speaker setup best describes your primary audio system?

Please choose the option below that best describes your primary system

• Passive stereo 2.0

Votes: 82 26.4%
  • Active stereo 2.0

Votes: 31 10.0%
  • Passive stereo 2.x

Votes: 69 22.2%
  • Active stereo 2.x

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • Multichannel 3.x

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Multichannel 5.x

Votes: 32 10.3%
  • Multichannel 7.x

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • Multichannel 9.x

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Multichannel 11.x or more

Votes: 10 3.2%
  • Something else (please post details)

Votes: 13 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Just that it should not be the primary focus
Yet pointing people who are interested in Multi-Channel implementations (regardless of provenance), to other sites does indicate a bias... and in some ways an exclusionary one. ;) If taken to a hyperbolic conclusion, one could then argue that Amir should no longer test any AVRs, AVPs or Amps that support more than 2 channels and should kick those of us who are interested in such off the site. :p

Please understand I am just playing around here a bit, but my point is that High Quality Audio Reproduction is just as important in 2.0 as it is in 11.6.8 if that is what the user is interested in. Even if it goes against your specific Interest
(Mind, I do agree that getting advice on Atmos or Auro placement and installation is better served on other sites than here, while the principles of Acoustics and quality gear still apply here.)

Drawing boundaries around what type of SQ and Audio Reproduction values are allowed is silly. It would be nice if we could all agree on that. :)

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Amir should no longer test any AVRs, AVPs or Amps that support more than 2 channels and should kick those of us who are interested in such off the site. :p
I guess if he does this, I will be among the first to go! As an avid multi-channel music and Movie fan. After all he has reviewed two of my 6 channel Amps. Clearly I would already be on his hit list! :oops:

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I guess if he does this, I will be among the first to go! As an avid multi-channel music and Movie fan. After all he has reviewed two of my 6 channel Amps. Clearly I would already be on his hit list! :oops:
I will fall on my multi-channel sword if I must but it will not be without a fight!

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use “up mixing” for stereo content i use Trifield for that , over the years I’ve found that algorithm quite agreeable with all kinds of music . One have to let go of the notion that channel count in the media is the same as the ones you use for playback.

I will eventually have to let that go and make my living room stereo 2.1 or 2.2 .

For movies we have a very small snug TV/HT/game consol room ,it basically a sofa for 4 and wall mounted Canton speakers and a Denon reciever and a big old Panasonic plasma .

My Meridian HT would not fit but is used as “stereo” in the living room :)

A happy accident resulting from first buying my now wife, a small HT and then move in and marry her :)

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Just for the record, I have a few systems including 5.2 HT. I just selected the 2.1 option because that one is getting a lot of love right now. I am very interested in both multichannel and stereo. If I was to pick which system "sounds" the best to me it is my multichannel (SACD) hands down. Being inside the sound is an experience I have not been able to re-create using a 2.1 system.

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not necessarily.
Someone can have an active system where the amps and the electronic Xover can be out of the speaker cabinets.
I know you know it,just for clarification.
Some simple active speakers are in reality only "powered" there still an passive xover and a plate amp :)
The xover can be digital or analog in active speakers , distinction is that a passive xover sits after the power amp(s)
There are of course systems that fits neither of these descriptions :) but the poll has just the rigth amount of options to have some meaning

Sokel

Master Contributor
There are of course systems that fits neither of these descriptions :) but the poll has just the rigth amount of options to have some meaning
Like mine,3-way,semi active with Xover and amps outside the cabinets.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The xover can be digital or analog in active speakers , distinction is that a passive xover sits after the power amp(s)
I am still wondering what models subwoofers a quarter of the responders who voted "Passive stereo 2.x" use where the consensus on this thread means the subwoofer crossover is after the amplifier(s)? I cannot name even one model!

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am still wondering what models subwoofers a quarter of the responders who voted "Passive stereo 2.x" use where the consensus on this thread means the subwoofer crossover is after the amplifier(s)? I cannot name even one model!
REL ? Or no xover for the mains just tacked on the sub to a preout or something?

Or miniDSP as preamp and passive speakers with amp and active subwoofer?

Passive subwoofer is ( thank good) a rarity nowadays I’ve seen one 30 years ago .

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
REL ? Or no xover for the mains just tacked on the sub to a preout or something?

Or miniDSP as preamp and passive speakers with amp and active subwoofer?
Those are classed as active 2.x surely? How else you can use a subwoofer otherwise?

Passive subwoofer is ( thank good) a rarity nowadays I’ve seen one 30 years ago .
Neither have I, but 65 member own them, hence my repeated questions: what are they?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Neither have I, but 65 member own them, hence my repeated questions: what are they?

It's just not counting the whole setup as active after adding a subwoofer to traditional passive mains.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's just not counting the whole setup as active after adding a subwoofer to traditional passive mains.
So the active and passive words only meant for the LR?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not necessarily.
Someone can have an active system where the amps and the electronic Xover can be out of the speaker cabinets.
I know you know it,just for clarification.
Yeah, I have a 19" rack full of amps etc. for each driver. Hard to call that passive.

AdamG

Debunking the “Infomercial” hawkers & fabricators
Forum Donor
Quit Nitpicking this Poll. If you don’t like it go start your own poll. This is why I loath starting a poll around here. You guys are brutal and some of you are about to be booted from this thread.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So the active and passive words only meant for the LR?

The OP gave my previous post with that explanation a thumbs up, so I think that's the correct meaning...

Besides this specific poll, there's still the question of thresholds and what makes the whole system active.

Do 2 passive speakers and a standard amp plus some active element to cross over the bass to passive subwoofers make the whole system "active". Are 2 passive speakers and an amp plus an active sub with high passed outputs an "active" system.

Does active take priority over passive such that the addition of any active element make it "active"?

Does having the majority of speakers behind an active crossover to make it active? Is it the majority of speakers which requiring an active crossover? Are the mains weighted differently because they are the mains? Do subwoofers constitute a special category of their own and not infulence the system designation?

You seem to be using a very broad definition of active. I usually use a narrower definition and I assume that the majority of voters are as well since, as you point out, there are few non active options for subwoofers.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Science says that multichannel is better then stereo.

Better for whom? The HiFi dealer? The cleaning lady could have told you that.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have drifted back to a simple 2-channel passive system using mainly CD with the odd LP.

I was an early adopter of file based music, it was convenient for travelling, but don’t bother much now I have retired.

I did mess about with more channels a bit, using a Meridian decoder, but since I have thousands of stereo CDs and hundreds of stereo and mono LPs I decided to go back to 2-channel. I was relieved to read recently that the celebrated Earl Geddes felt the same.

I have a Marantz multi channel pre for films to which I have connected the 3 Meridian speakers for centre and rear (not side for room and cabling reasons) and a big sub.My normal stereo pair are L&R in this setup connected to a fixed gain input on my stereo amps. I have some SACDs I can play through this in multi channel but can’t remember when I last did so, I usually just play their stereo tracks.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My primary system is 7.x, but is often used in 2.x. Does give me a reason to keep more speakers around! :)

My secondary system is 2.x and so despite my answer, I spend more time messing around with the 2.x system.

The poll was intentionally meant to differentiate where member lines are drawn with regard to number of speakers in a room. Despite those with smaller rooms favoring stereo, I am still a bit shocked that the multichannel use is not higher.

Top Bottom