• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which speaker setup best describes your primary audio system?

Please choose the option below that best describes your primary system

• Passive stereo 2.0

Votes: 82 26.4%
  • Active stereo 2.0

Votes: 31 10.0%
  • Passive stereo 2.x

Votes: 69 22.2%
  • Active stereo 2.x

Votes: 49 15.8%
  • Multichannel 3.x

Votes: 5 1.6%
  • Multichannel 5.x

Votes: 32 10.3%
  • Multichannel 7.x

Votes: 13 4.2%
  • Multichannel 9.x

Votes: 7 2.3%
  • Multichannel 11.x or more

Votes: 10 3.2%
  • Something else (please post details)

Votes: 13 4.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
After another member recently posted a question about his system, it was something different than I expected. This made me realize that it might be interesting to know what the mix of different ASR member system types might be. Keep in mind that the site software polling maxes out at 10 choices. So, may need other polls to drill down further, but please share and let's find out how much your system is like the rest of the membership (or not).

(EDIT)
I did split the stereo choices more as active speakers are becoming more common. I expect that most of the subwoofers are active but count your passive one(s) just the same. As bolded above, expect may need other polls to provide more specifics. Atmos use is a good example (did not include them and nor should you). Let's see what this poll yields and then should be able to use the results to refine future ones.

Thanks!

Rick

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Active 3 way & dual opposed sub, guess that fits into something else

edit - changed vote to active stereo 2.x

Last edited:

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Your 2nd description, which come to think is still a 2.1 system

51724319233_a597d2d68e_b.jpg

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
My living room setup is 4.0 (quad with 4 full range speakers) using a Yamaha HTR-5790 receiver.
My studio setup is 2.0 using active speakers (bi-amped 2-way).

kthulhutu

Active three way 'speakers in front (B&W801f) and active two-way rears (Genelec 1029A) driven by Sony SQD2020 Quadraphonic decoder.

It's mostly used for stereo only without the rear 'speakers on, but occasionally I like to pretend it's still 1975.

S.
My living room setup is 4.0 (quad with 4 full range speakers) using a Yamaha HTR-5790 receiver.
My studio setup is 2.0 using active speakers (bi-amped 2-way).
How do you guys like quad? Do you ever try upmixing to the rears or use them only for quad mixes?

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Currently only running 7.2... Main focus in designing my rig was multi-channel music, of which some of my 5.1 recordings (DTS 5.1) are for a Rear Center instead of Front Center... this gets parsed to the Rear Surrounds.
Am set up to expand very soon to 7.3.4... hence I vote 11.x.

staticV3

Master Contributor
So just what do the choices mean?
Passive means the Amp is outside your main speakers.
Active means the Amp is built into your main speakers.
Stereo means that you have just two speakers playing ~100Hz-20kHz.
Multichannel means that you have more than two speakers playing ~100Hz-20kHz.
"x.y" describes how many full range and dedicated subwoofers your setup uses.
For example, a 2.1 setup uses two full range speakers paired with one subwoofer.
2.2 has two full range and two subs.
7.4 has seven full range and four subs.

PS: I'm aware that full range isn't quite the right word to describe a speaker that plays ~100Hz to 20kHz. Is there a better word for it?

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So what about active crossovers with passive speakers, passive sub and active sub?

All these home focused active speakers are evolving the nomenclature.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
After another member recently posted a question about his system, it was something different than I expected. This made me realize that it might be interesting to know what the mix of different ASR member system types is. Keep in mind that the site software polling maxes out at 10 choices. So, may need other polls to drill down further, but please share and let's find out how much your system is like the rest of the membership (or not).

Thanks!

Rick
What would be a passive 2.x system?

Speedskater

Major Contributor
OK, so I have a two channel with external active crossover loudspeakers and sometimes I run them full-range and sometimes I run then with a single powered sub-woofer with signal from the same active crossover.
What box do I check?

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Currently only running 7.2... Main focus in designing my rig was multi-channel music, of which some of my 5.1 recordings (DTS 5.1) are for a Rear Center instead of Front Center... this gets parsed to the Rear Surrounds.
Am set up to expand very soon to 7.3.4... hence I vote 11.x.

While I get the sentiment, going to treat Atmos outside of the scope here. So would go 7.x.

OP
Rick Sykora

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What would be a passive 2.x system?

Clarified in initial post, but passive 2.x was meant to cover passive stereo speakers and subwooofer(s).

Realize that many subwoofers are active but fine to count the passive ones too.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How do you guys like quad? Do you ever try upmixing to the rears or use them only for quad mixes?
I've tried using the four channel synthesis facility on my decoder, but for rock/pop and jazz, I don't like the effect, much prefer plain stereo or mono. Large scale symphonic music works better as the synthesiser creates some sense of ambiance, but even then, don't tend to use it that much.

In general, Quadraphonic classical music was mixed to use the rear channels for ambiance only, with the exception of a few choral works like the Monteverdi Vespers which were written for multiple choirs spread round the Cathedral they were performed in. Rock and Pop mixes can be much more fun in Quad, DSOTM is a classic in Quad, as are all of Santana's early albums.

By the way, my Active front 'speakers have external crossovers and amplifiers.

S.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
5.2. LS 50 Metas front, Kef HTC 3001 SE center, OG LS 50s surrounds, and dual SVS SB 2000s.

Top Bottom