• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which deceased musicians you miss the most and wish were still alive?

mglobe

Forum Donor
In terms of those who passed too young, Jimi Hendrix because of all the things he would have done.

In terms of those I wish would never pass, John Prine for his empathy, intelligence, humor, love for life, and of course his song writing.

diddley

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Jules de Corte.

This is just one of the thousands songs he wrote. I hope the clip conveys some of his art.

First there is a little chit chat with the host stating how big a fan he is, and asking Jules to play a track from his latest release. Skip to 0:50 where Jules says so this is a little Christmas song and starts playing.

I've asked GPT4 to translate the lyrics.

Not sure how 'unspeakably alone' works in English. But in Dutch I feel it's one of these beautifully poetic Jules de Corte touches.
Prachtig en goed vertaald!

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Second Franz Schubert, but the further back you go the more candidates there are for untimely demise

Amy Winehouse left too early, as a songwriter as much as a performer. Kirsty Maccoll is missed.
For me though: John Martyn ... I'd love to have heard what he matured into

Gustav Mahler. Died in 1911 while writing his 10th symphony, age 50, was still innovating at that point, and better at orchestrating than ever. I sometimes imagine a Mahler symphony processing WWI, taking in ragtime music or some of the nascent proto-jazz, parodying Nazi marches, or him writing a movie soundtrack.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
To me, this question addresses artists who still had a lot to say and were taken too young. The 4 that spring to mind are:

Jimi Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughan (finally clean and sober, putting out great new music and extending his reach beyond his band)
Eva Cassidy (on the brink of being discovered)
Amy Winehouse

Mikig

making music and therefore being a musician is "art". Therefore the ability to tell, through words, voice and instruments.
in general I miss all musicians!! in the true sense of the term; therefore those who have been capable of leaving their mark, regardless of genre or instrument or voice.
Nowadays I see, or rather I listen to, many "entertainers", good ones, there's no question about it, but honestly not very musicians, that is, they don't carry with them that wave of "art of making music"...
anyway to name a few:

Pavarotti
Battisti
Morricone
M. Jackson
Hendrix
Lennon
Bowie
Mercury
Morrison
……

Last edited:

ViperDom

DearMama2BB-678x381.jpg

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
Some, who I don't think have been mentioned, I would like to have heard more music from:

Billy Mackenzie
Scott Walker
Robbie Basho
Lindsay Cooper
Charlie Christian
Arthur Russell
Nico (Christa Päffgen)
Nico (Nicolas Kasada)
Holger Czukay
Serge Gainsbourg
Jackie Leven
Rosinha De Valença
Tim Buckley
Jeff Buckley
Karen Dalton
Curtis Mayfield
Derek Bailey
Alex Harvey
Lizzy Mercier Descloux
Gabi Delgado López
Delia Derbyshire
Daevid Allen
Jake Thackray
Grant Green
Baden Powell
Townes Van Zandt
Jaimie Branch
Tom Verlaine
Pete Shelley
Ari Up
Bert Jansch
Mark E. Smith
Thelonious Monk
Bernard Parmegiani

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Let's reanimate them and enjoy some really ghoulish music...

Robin L

Master Contributor
What the heck?
"One tendency, above all others, should have been the reddest of red flags. That is, she had a “party trick” of falling off bar stools or falling down flights of stairs, presumably as a humorous pratfall in the manner of Peter Sellers’ Inspector Clouseau character. However, when combined with copious amounts of alcohol, the “trick” lost its humor and turned potentially dangerous.

And, sometimes, it wasn’t a trick, but a real fall. In fact, in March 1978, Denny fell down a staircase while on vacation and suffered a head injury. To alleviate the resultant headaches, she was given a painkiller that could be fatal if combined with booze. After a second serious fall at home, her husband took their daughter and went to Australia.

Feeling abandoned, Denny asked a friend, Miranda Ward, if she could stay at her home, vowing to get help for her headaches and alcoholism. However, before she could act on those sensible impulses, Denny was found unconscious at the foot of a staircase in Ward’s home. She lapsed into a coma and never regained consciousness, dying on April 21, 1978. It’s shocking now to realize that she was all of 31 years of age."

HoweSound

Sorry to keep jumping into this thread, but I'm reminded of singers taken too soon, still with much more to give. One of those is our treasure Lhasa De Sela - profound, mischievious, a beautiful soul:

iu

Top Bottom