• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which deceased musicians you miss the most and wish were still alive?

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure I understand the question. For example, Jimi Hendrix would be 82 years old this year had he lived, so are you wishing for a time machine for a young Hendrix or the elderly version you would get if he just lived?

If I could choose one to come back to life at the age she died, which was in her early 30s, it would be Karen Carpenter. One of the best female voices I've ever heard. The one condition would be that she gets to pick her own material, rather than that sappy stuff her brother and Herb Alpert made her sing.

Last edited:

Tell

Cosma. The poor guy died in a car accident in 2003, the same year that he released his legendary album Nonstop. I wonder what other timeless classics he would have managed to create if he was still alive today.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1713911709521.jpeg

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Martyn Bennet as I knew him from when we were in primary school on Mull and then remade our acquaintance meeting as adults in the burgeoning alternative/electronic Scottish music scene (everyone knows each other), we all knew he had cancer as he was desperate to get his album Grit finished but it was still such a blood curdling numbing shock when he died, he was such an innovator in the scene that his influence is still talked about to this day, not a week goes by where I don’t listen to his music

Another friend taken far too soon is Scott Hutchinson from “Frightened Rabbit”, he struggled with depression throughout his life and it eventually became too much for him, met him through friends in the scene and subsequently booked him for folk festivals we put on and he exuded such emotion on stage but like so many “great” performers there is often a dark and troubling cloud with them at all times.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lou Reed
Tom Petty
David Bowie
John Lennon

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Adaboy4z

Whitney and Prince!!

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still don't get the love for Cobain. He DID have a gun. My friends were obsessed. I've heard every B, C, and D side track. Still don't care one bit for his music. Dave Grohl made a nice song or two years later, but nothing especially great.
Lennon wasn't especially relevant after "Imagine," the treacle song. Let it Be has a couple great tracks.
David Bowie was long past his relevant years when he died. I liked Outside, but his genius burned out in the '70s.
Basically the same with Prince, Reed, Petty, Jackson, Elvis, Cash, and Cohen.

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Artists that I wish were still alive. Artists that meant something to me.

Buck Owens
Charley Pride
Conway Twitty
Toby Keith
Johnny Cash
George Jones
Hank Thompson
Hank Williams
Jerry Lee Lewis
Jim Reeves
Johnny Paycheck
Keith Whitley
Marty Robbins
Merle Haggard
Patsy Cline
Ray Price
Toby Keith
Waylon Jennings

Hip Hop/Rap:
Biz Markie
Christopher George Latore Wallace (Biggie)
Earl Simmons (DMX)
Eric Lynn Wright (Eazy-E)
Fresh Kid Ice (Part of "2 Live Crew")

Pop:
Michael Jackson

Rock:
Benjamin Orr (Part of the "The Cars")
Chris Cornell
Kurt Cobain
Steve Harwell
Ric Ocasek (Part of the "The Cars")

"Oldies" Era: