• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Which android phone to get?

Digby

Major Contributor
Because they are portable computers with telephone functionality built in.
That doesn't necessitate they be so big. Up until around the last few years, it was possible to get smaller, decent smart phones. These are far more ergonomic for one handed use.

Adaboy4z

I really miss what HTC did in the early 2000s with the Touch Pro, EVO etc, but they lost to Samsung and Apple. I'm a Samsung Person Updates have been regular with the S22 Ultra. Head over to XDA developers you will learn to root almost anything over there.

Oso Polar

I'm a Samsung Person Updates have been regular with the S22 Ultra. Head over to XDA developers you will learn to root almost anything over there.
You can't root US versions of S22. Also, even for some other regions where rooting is possible, you'll lose some features forever because Knox will be tripped.
Anyway, Samsung is quite good nowadays - pretty much all useless extra Samsung apps can be either removed or disabled without root and Good Lock + Theme Park allow for lots of customization. System updates are coming monthly. UI is very smooth. So, not many reasons to root, really, it doesn't force you to use "Samsung ecosystem"...

Having said that, it is still an extra work to disable, add and configure things to make them behave close to the stock Android. And, of course, Pixel's camera app has FAR better quality than Samsung camera app, so general photo quality of Pixel 7 Pro will be better than Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra with stock camera app (except for the highest zoom levels - and this is the single reason I got S22 Ultra). GCam ports can be installed but this is not a perfect solution, and, again, extra work.

Oso Polar

I believe original poster is from US. Phone market as the rest of the world knows it doesn't exist here. There is Apple and there is Samsung. OnePlus has a couple of models, Asus, Sony. Low end junk from BLU. That's pretty much it. The wast majority of big Chinese manufacturers are not present here or were banned (ZTE, Huawei, Xiaomi). Some can be bought from AliExpress and other unofficial sellers with all corresponding "benefits" - no support, no warranty, issues with supported frequencies etc.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I believe original poster is from US. Phone market as the rest of the world knows it doesn't exist here. There is Apple and there is Samsung. OnePlus has a couple of models, Asus, Sony. Low end junk from BLU. That's pretty much it. The wast majority of big Chinese manufacturers are not present here or were banned (ZTE, Huawei, Xiaomi). Some can be bought from AliExpress and other unofficial sellers with all corresponding "benefits" - no support, no warranty, issues with supported frequencies etc.
True... I forgot about that silliness, which makes no sense as Apple phones are made in China anyway, although Samsung are made in Vietnam, India, Sth Korea, Brazil and Indonesia. I hope this is changed at one point for people in the US, as it seems crazy they cannot access these brands locally.

JSmith

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You can't root US versions of S22. Also, even for some other regions where rooting is possible, you'll lose some features forever because Knox will be tripped.
Anyway, Samsung is quite good nowadays - pretty much all useless extra Samsung apps can be either removed or disabled without root and Good Lock + Theme Park allow for lots of customization. System updates are coming monthly. UI is very smooth. So, not many reasons to root, really, it doesn't force you to use "Samsung ecosystem"...

Having said that, it is still an extra work to disable, add and configure things to make them behave close to the stock Android. And, of course, Pixel's camera app has FAR better quality than Samsung camera app, so general photo quality of Pixel 7 Pro will be better than Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra with stock camera app (except for the highest zoom levels - and this is the single reason I got S22 Ultra). GCam ports can be installed but this is not a perfect solution, and, again, extra work.
Yes, this is what I found with my S22. There really isn't much Samsung ecosystem tie in. It will offer itself at times, but you can just ignore it or even turn it off. It does not intrude like it did a few years ago which was why I went to Pixel phones for a couple models. That and regular updates, but Samsung does more or less monthly security updates and updates the OS when that occurs relatively quickly. So not as pure as a Pixel, but not much of a bother either.

MadMaxx

My last iPhone was the 8 Plus. I've been with Android since then and stick with the Pixel line. The 7 Pro is their best Pixel yet. I also have been with Google Fi since 2017.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My last iPhone was the 8 Plus. I've been with Android since then and stick with the Pixel line. The 7 Pro is their best Pixel yet. I also have been with Google Fi since 2017.
Yeah that was the other reason I first used a Google phone. I've been with Google Fi since it started. I was one who got on by invitation maybe 3 months before it was open to everyone. The first phone was a Nexus 6. I used it for maybe 3 years until I had a Pixel 2 XL which I used until the Samsung S22 was available for a good discount. The Pixel 2XL was a good phone and I would have used it longer, but the battery didn't hold up. Replacing it was an issue as everyone told me you have at least a 50% chance of breaking the screen at which point cost of a replacement screen made it not worth doing. So I went with the S22 as it seemed like you overall got more for your money than the available Pixel at that time. Plus Samsung had pledged to do updates and keep the Android OS current (which they have done).

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
Check the Motorola range if you want close to vanilla and Sony of course, don't expect lot of costume ROM's for either.

MadMaxx

Yeah that was the other reason I first used a Google phone. I've been with Google Fi since it started. I was one who got on by invitation maybe 3 months before it was open to everyone. The first phone was a Nexus 6. I used it for maybe 3 years until I had a Pixel 2 XL which I used until the Samsung S22 was available for a good discount. The Pixel 2XL was a good phone and I would have used it longer, but the battery didn't hold up. Replacing it was an issue as everyone told me you have at least a 50% chance of breaking the screen at which point cost of a replacement screen made it not worth doing. So I went with the S22 as it seemed like you overall got more for your money than the available Pixel at that time. Plus Samsung had pledged to do updates and keep the Android OS current (which they have done).
Battery life is my one long running complaint with Android phones. My 7 Pro gets me through the day, but still requires nightly recharging.

Last edited:

stringham

One advantage of the Pixels is the great trade-ins. I recently traded in a Pixel 4a for a Pixel 6a, for $50 + tax.

sajgre

One advantage of the Pixels is the great trade-ins. I recently traded in a Pixel 4a for a Pixel 6a, for $50 + tax.
Wow, that is insane deal from our side of the pond. Btw where is the profit for Google in that?

oceansize

Forum Donor
Wow, that is insane deal from our side of the pond. Btw where is the profit for Google in that?
Similar offer in the UK - 6a is £399, but they're offering up to £325 trade-in for your old phone (and it doesn't have to be a Google phone you trade-in).

sajgre

Similar offer in the UK - 6a is £399, but they're offering up to £325 trade-in for your old phone (and it doesn't have to be a Google phone you trade-in).
Amazing. Again, how on earth is that profitable? It is not like they can do anything with an old phone like 4a?

melvinjames

Forum Donor
One advantage of the Pixels is the great trade-ins.
Exactly. Google gave me $400 for my 5 when I purchased the 7. I checked on other trade-in sites and they offered much lower - like $275-$300 lower.

Misguided

Hi. I've been watching this thread with interest as I am an Iphone owner thinking of making the change to Android, probably a Google Pixel as they are such good value. One of the reasons like the OP is the system wide EQ which Apple doesnt have.

What is the best free or cheap EQ to use? Also are there any issues with Hi Res Audio, I have Amazon Music and use a Topping NX4 DSD. Thanks

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
That looks really nice, but I do like bigger screens.

Do you know anything about the Sony Xpieria IV? Has a micro SD card slot and a headphone Jack.

I think I’d like 512gb or more so I can use tidal offline for when I fly, etc.
LG V60 + 1TB drive for about $300. I do have a Pixel 7 and mostly use the LG.

stringham

What is the best free or cheap EQ to use? Also are there any issues with Hi Res Audio, I have Amazon Music and use a Topping NX4 DSD. Thanks
Wavelet works well for me with Deezer, but you may have issues with Amazon Music, according to that link.

Top Bottom