• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

When HiFi competitions were harder to win. 1982. How many can you answer correctly?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I absolutely love reading my Australian Electronics Magazines from the past.

Here's a competition to win a rather nice HiFi system run in August 1982.

1579040972543.png

1579041433032.png

Attached is the entry form and questions as a PDF if this is hard to read.

How many can you get right? Would you even be able to answer half of them?

And remember, NO INTERNET allowed, it was 1982. You needed to know the answers...

Attachments

• ETI 1982-08 August competition.pdf
    377.1 KB · Views: 145

Monte

Thank you Question 8. I'll adopt that folly known as the metric system when calendars and clocks are metric.

tw99

Did anyone actually win it, and if so was their score published ?

tomtoo

Major Contributor
Oh fu** , i'am fu**ing stupid. Ok, no win, and hell that ST-8 looks so cool. At least the Shure i owned. ; )

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
@DonH56 I thought of you when I posted this. :)

Swine... I wasn't even close, only know a few off-hand, would have been spending time in the college library for sure. One of those "Wait, I should know that, ummmm..." tests (*). That is an awesome test, though! And a nice prize list. Interesting that a NSW test begins with a question on British innovations... What was ETI?

Edit: Nevermind, here it is, with a list of archived back issues, cool! https://www.americanradiohistory.com/ETI_Magazine-AU.htm

Thanks John! Guess it's humble pie for breakfast today. - Don

(*) On day one of a class on device physics the prof handed out a pop quiz saying "You are all seniors or grad students so should know all of these." It was a list of common units like Ohms, Watt, Farad, Henry, Ampere, Volt, etc. and the question was to express each in MKS units (meter, kilogram, second). Humbling.

Last edited:
Top Bottom