• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

When did you last listen to live music

When did you last hear a live gig?

• Total voters

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Last time I stumbled upon live music was a band playing in Vegas years ago. It was ludicrously loud as I imagine concerts often are. I far prefer listening to music via my speakers, and alone rather than in a large crowd.

khensu

Caught one of the last Dead and Company shows, last night at Folsom Field in Boulder. Thanks to asr, I had line arrays on the brain and was disappointed at the lack of bass response. Great show nonetheless.

PatriciaP

Forum Donor
My mum still dancing at 85 reminds me of the big bands that played dances in her youth. She says there is nothing better than listening to the best music, and dancing together. That was in Fermoy Ireland in 60s.

She was born in a more energetic generation than mine as those bands no longer exist except for seated patrons.

PS if you know where you can find live music for salsa or disco in London, I’m interested.

Unionista

I just heard a folk duo live at a small coffee shop. It was close and personal. It was the only live performance I've heard since before Covid started. Two guitars, some minor percussion and fabulous singing. They played for two hours, no breaks. It seemed way too short.

KSTR

Major Contributor
Big shows recently: The Mars Volta and Peter Gabriel. The former was of the a-bit-too-loud-and-muddy type but the sound for Gabriel's show was excellent, just the right level and good balance of everything (except kick drum which IMHO is always mixed too fat for my tastes).

OP
CapMan

CapMan

Major Contributor
Looking at the polling it's really encouraging (especially after COVID) to see 2/3s of people responding are out listening to live gigs in the past month or less.

HoweSound

Last December - the Wednesday night slack key guitar show on Maui.

Coming up on July 16th: Lyle Lovett and his Large Band in Woodinville WA at the St. Michelle Winery - should be fun.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Average through the year: every 3 weeks, sometimes the local symphony, sometimes the local community band (many members of the symphony), sometimes various concerts, blues, rock, country, jazz, reggae more so than the other genre's but, really, no particular genre, but rarely opera or and never any music that involves cursing as a main part of it.

JakeK

Forum Donor
Last weekend we went to an outdoor performance by Southampton Concert Orchestra. Lovely location and great performances. The downside is you can't hear as well as a concert hall due to ambient sounds such as a nearby ice cream van. Then again nothing sounds as good as a full orchestra in a concert hall in person.

Interesting piece in the UK’s Guardian newspaper

After the lockdowns I really wanted to get out there. So we are!

Peterinvan

Live vs. Unplugged

I was enjoying a couple of musicians playing a double bass and sax by the Victoria harbour last summer. I complemented them on being unplugged. Their reply was that the municipality guys have asked them to get amplifiers so more people will be attracted. Go figure!

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Daily.

JimBean

I voted within the last year, although it actually was more like 18 months ago, I think. It was a 3 piece rock band that played after hours at the coffee shop I worked at. They were pretty good. Me and my friends listened outside, since the shop was pretty full by the time we showed up. Living in a smallish town on the Oregon coast limits my options for live music, especially since I don't go to bars. Although it's getting better.

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So Depended at what spot you listen. When i was young came in early front rows in the middle sometimes 2 hours before gig standing mostly. Now 64 not interested anymore sitting with thousands of people on a balcony 3th ring lousy sound last 7 times. Small venues more intimate atmosphere in Amsterdam Paradiso (Marcus Miller my last Concert 2022 for now) or years ago in the Blue Note NYC (Chaka Khan) thats more the places to be for live music imo.

There some reverb going on
:cool:

Last edited:

Waxx

Major Contributor
It depends on what you call "live music."

I was on a dub soundsystem party a few weeks ago where a few mc's (kind of rappers) an some musicians (harmonica, trombone, sax, violin & percussion) played along the records that were played. Is that live or a dj set? both i guess. That week i also was guest on a rehearsal of a local band that wanted my advice on their music (i'm a former dj, music producer and actual radioproducer, radio editor and radiohost in their subsculture).

The last official concert i went to was the week before christmas, some ethio/afro-jazz from a local quintet (cornet, acoustic guitar, xylophone, contrabass (double bass), drum) in a bar a few villages away from where i live. They played interpretation from songs from Mulatu Astatke, Hugh Masekela, Getatchew Mekurya and similar artist who mixed jazz with african folk and popular music in the second half of the 20st century. The band is a fun hobby project from experienced classical musicians actually, and is not known outside the regio (and has no ambition to be known).

zorox

Last Friday. Christone "Kingfish" Ingram. Blues artist, just about the only genre i listen to. It was at an outdoor venue, Ft. Mose State park. Sound and lighting were excellent, depending of course, on location of seats. This year i ended up in second row far left, and sadly, about 6 feet from bass stack. Like getting punched in the chest every second.

Top Bottom