• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's your dream system?

splattened

Forum Donor
So with that in mind, I wasn't about to allow an ugly audio system comprising of far too many components for my liking to ruin the hundreds of hours of work I put into my house

I appreciate your insane conviction, because for me the consideration of aesthetics is almost a non-starter. Most audio components, speakers, and the larger world of electronics/computers/etc. look so near-ubiquitously bland or bad that I can't fathom fighting that battle. I have a hard enough time finding the stuff I want without strongly considering aesthetics. If everything I bought also had to look great and consistent with everything else in the room, I'd just never buy anything. I'd lay face down on the floor of my empty room in defeat. So I accept that most of the stuff I buy will be bland (e.g., all-black electronics) if not occasionally ugly.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Easy: big room first, in big house with no neighbors or wives, with no constraints on placement, speaker size etc.

Then I would call the big maestro of studio design, Bob Northward, to build this room to be the best multichannel setup in the world, using flush mounted speakers and tailored acoustics.

97F70CFD-32FD-4934-84AF-1096043339ED.jpeg

Meaning: all speakers are mounted into walls. I'd like them camouflaged with speaker grill fabric so I don't see them. I'd only like to see an open space before me when listening, surrounded by music. How many speakers? Which speakers? Hm, between 10 and 13 channels would be fine. Which speakers? Nah. Most of the flush mounted models are excellent these days. Genelec. ATC. Neumann. All of them would do. And some easy to use interface for controlling it.

Then I'd spend the rest of my time chasing down good multichannel recordings.

Victoria

I just read this.
I can think of a lot of things.
I won't say a single one

Oh dear :p

If everything I bought also had to look great and consistent with everything else in the room, I'd just never buy anything.

Hahaha I hear you. Me being an aesthetics nut has both saved me and cost me a decent amount of money. It isn't too bad with PC's though if you're willing to assemble your own; the ITX market has really matured a lot over the last couple of years (I'm using an NCase M1 for my desktop) and most CPU's and GPU's are so silly powerful while still running relatively cool that you can really pack a lot of punch in very little space.

The need for huge desktops has really been diminishing a lot for the vast majority of users.

And likewise with audio amplifiers; Class-D has been so competent for so long already (and only getting better) that personally I don't really see the need for lots of big and bulky equipment anymore. And finding decent looking and good performing speakers has also become easier.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Easy: big room first, in big house with no neighbors or wives, with no constraints on placement, speaker size etc.

Then I would call the big maestro of studio design, Bob Northward, to build this room to be the best multichannel setup in the world, using flush mounted speakers and tailored acoustics.

View attachment 36170

Meaning: all speakers are mounted into walls. I'd like them camouflaged with speaker grill fabric so I don't see them. I'd only like to see an open space before me when listening, surrounded by music. How many speakers? Which speakers? Hm, between 10 and 13 channels would be fine. Which speakers? Nah. Most of the flush mounted models are excellent these days. Genelec. ATC. Neumann. All of them would do. And some easy to use interface for controlling it.

Then I'd spend the rest of my time chasing down good multichannel recordings.
Who stole the center channel speaker? Wasn't it supposed to be behind the missing AT screen? Why does the listener seem so uncomfortable?

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Who stole the center channel speaker? Wasn't it supposed to be behind the missing AT screen? Why does the listener seem so uncomfortable?

I'm pretty sure @Thomas savage ran away with the atc speaker in the centre! But it's true, the thing you don't get with a m.ch. setup which includes a center is the possibility for an open airy space just behind the front speakers. Hm. Need to plan further on that point, for the inevitable point when I actually start building this.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
I'm pretty sure @Thomas savage ran away with the atc speaker in the centre! But it's true, the thing you don't get with a m.ch. setup which includes a center is the possibility for an open airy space just behind the front speakers. Hm. Need to plan further on that point, for the inevitable point when I actually start building this.
My strategy was to place a limit on the height of the front three floor-standing speakers so that they do not block my view of the world (such as it is).

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Electro shock therapy. Free to anyone with a Phillips screwdriver who knows what a power supply smoothing capacitor looks like.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor

Agreed. My idea of a dream system would also mostly be a dream building. An annex to my actual house designed solely with acoustics (and a bit of comfort) in mind.

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Late Dr. Linkwitz had a comfy room and a wonderful companion, wife Eike

LX521-living_room2.jpg

My room is much smaller and wife has less affection to hifi.... but you must play with the cards you got... (and my dipoles have monopole bass), so my dream has pretty much realized!
ainogradient setup1.jpg

Last edited:

Hank Nova

Mine would be a pair of Yamaha NS-5000's with full Accuphase gear (top tier-ish) and two JBL Synthesis Subs (big) with Crown amps, all blended perfectly in a room that not only sounded great, but made me want to stay in it. Aesthetics are important!

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
No love for Bang & Olufsen?

I’ve really begun to appreciate B&O more and more over the years.

Your posts are fun and remind me, of my one trip to Struer Denmark, to find dinner we had to go down to Hostelbro to a restaurant called Mad Donna's (bad food) and the waiter asked us if this was the most boring place we ever visited. Our sales rep on this trip had a beautiful home in suburban Brussels totally in the Scandinavian aesthetic and all B&O sound.

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
Late Dr. Linkwitz had a comfy room and a wonderful companion, wife Eike

LX521-living_room2.jpg

My room is much smaller and wife has less affection to hifi.... but you must play with the cards you got... (and my dipoles have monopoe bass), so my dream has pretty much frealized!
View attachment 36207
Hi Juhazi
Are your speakers customized Gradient 1.3s, by any chance? I once bid on a pair of used 1.3s and was disappointed that they got away. Would have loved having such a conversation piece... and great speakers too, at least according to a review by Robert Greene in The Absolute Sound.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Alright, I guess I'll have a go at this, haha.

I was originally hoping that someone else would chime in lest I begin to sound like a massive B&O/ICEpower fangirl here given how fondly I have grown to appreciate the brand; but this is worth answering, so here goes.

Allow me to humor you with my personality a little bit as it'll likely aid in understanding where I'm coming from. When I bought my current house I didn't hire an interior designer; not only did I feel that I could do a better job (and save a LOT of money in the process), but I wanted to be in absolute control of every single intimate detail of my house. Everything from the major details such as flooring down to the extremely minor details such as the colour of the screws used to mount fittings throughout my house was handpicked by myself. I spent hundreds of hours touring the country to find exactly the material I wanted for a given task. Yes, I am highly particular, and I am an extreme minimalist as well. I strive for clean, efficient and functional designs. If something can serve more than one purpose, all the better.

I also possess a penchant for customising everything to suit my very precise requirements. I like my custom furniture a lot. Even cables, if it only needs to be 17.5 CM long then I'll damn well have it cut down to be precisely 17.5 CM long future-proofing be damned.

So with that in mind, I wasn't about to allow an ugly audio system comprising of far too many components for my liking to ruin the hundreds of hours of work I put into my house, so before moving in I sold my original audio system which I used at my previous home. I eventually bought the Yamaha NX-N500 for my PC as it fit the aesthetics of my study room decently well (all white with black and blue highlights), and I really loved the idea that they were active speakers with a built-in DAC such that I didn't require any other external components.

Everything was neat and simple; but for a long time that was all I had for listening to music, which was mostly fine since I spend a good chunk of my time at home in front of my PC, but it did leave me a little empty whenever I was anywhere else.

A couple of months ago I decided I wanted to add a little something extra to each of my rooms, like a little sculpture or painting. I simultaneously began to look for ways in which I could integrate audio throughout my house. I had some pretty strict requirements for what I wanted in a speaker though. Obviously it had to sound to my liking, but I prioritized aesthetics above all else; it had to be something unobtrusive, elegant, fitting with my minimalist style, and it couldn't take up too much space either. I wanted my next speaker to be in my bedroom first, as that's the next place I spend most of my time in, and I also wanted the speaker to fit in an area under one square foot so that I could have it seated on my bedside table which would provide me with an optimal listening position while still leaving enough space for me to use said table for everything else.

With my strict criteria in mind, there weren't a lot of options. Most small wireless speakers are really cheaply made, and a lot of them don't seem like anyone even put the slightest thought into how they sound either. I consider myself relatively tolerant of speakers that aren't considered "audiophile grade," but I absolutely despise "boomy" and exaggerated bass. I like my bass tight and to the point.

Just as I was about to give up on my search and scrap my whole project, I suddenly remembered the house of a friend from a very long time ago who had a very thoroughly integrated multi-room B&O setup. I also recalled that many of the speakers while there, weren't really there. They fit into the design of his house so seamlessly that it was easy to forget they even existed. I also remember being highly impressed by a B&O experience I had the pleasure of participating in showcasing the Beolab 5 (among other products) and it did give me at least some level of confidence that B&O at least knew what they were doing from an engineering standpoint (plus I do also have a lot of experience with ICEpower products, though I frequently forget that ICEpower is actually a B&O subsidiary).

So off I went to my local B&O showroom, and the moment I saw the Beosound 1 I absolutely fell in love with it. It was exactly what I was looking for, and it wasn't just all show and no substance either; this damn speaker sounds insane. It is truly mind-boggling how ridiculously loud (to the inevitable dissatisfaction of your neighbors) this little pocket rocket can get while having distortion under absolute control.

So obviously, I bought one, and I've been in love with it ever since. It is a product which I don't just appreciate for its ability to deliver quality music to my ears, but it is also a product which I appreciate for its sheer quality in both construction and aesthetic design while maintaining a quintessential B&O simplicity. It really isn't a complicated design, hell it even looks like a oversized pepper shaker or thermos at times, but just like my design of my house, every single intimate detail has been thoroughly thought through. Even when I'm not listening to my Beosound 1, it never fails to bring a smile to my face whenever I take a brief look at it. I've even seen my partner just standing in front of it looking at it in awe because it truly possesses a surreal aura to it.

So this then, is where I believe Bang & Olufsen stands, and there is nothing wrong with that.

There are companies whose sole existence is to deliver DAC's with insane measurements through relentless engineering prowess for the sole purpose of pushing the absolute limits of what we are able to technically achieve. And yet no-one will ever be able to tell them apart from products costing an order of magnitude less, but god damn me if I wouldn't be proud as hell to own such a product. To appreciate the product in ways beyond merely in its ability to deliver audio to my ears. To appreciate the quality engineering and blood and sweat that has been put into the product. And above all: to appreciate the sheer dedication and passion some individuals possess to deliver something above and beyond what the overwhelming majority of individuals will consider as necessary.

I see B&O as taking a slightly different route where they instead focus their resources on absolutely breathtaking designs. Designs which even decades later you look back to and wonder how anyone had even managed to conjure. I see the B&O experience as more than just an aural experience, but a visual one too; even for their speakers. And heck, for me it's certainly an emotional experience as well. I hold B&O to the highest regard in the aesthetic designs they deliver in the same way that I hold many products possessing insane electrical engineering designs with measurements that may as well be off the charts. Different strokes for different folks then. Some couldn't care less about measurements, some couldn't care less about visual appeals, but both have their merits and both deserve their place.

And as mentioned earlier, it's not like any of the B&O products -- even their lower end ones -- sound bad. To my ears at least, they sound amazing enough that I'm willing to put my money down despite knowing that there are other products out there that deliver the same listening experience for a fraction of the cost. But as highlighted in my previous paragraph, to me it's more than just the listening experience that matters.

This then is how B&O has earned a place in my heart. There really aren't many companies out there who deliver both jaw-dropping and extremely understated speaker designs while maintaining such a consistent level of staggering build quality and simplicity that just makes you go "yep, absolutely everyone involved in this project was thinking." There was a time when B&O was the epitome of "form over function" (don't even get me started on the B&O Serene and also the Beo6 Remote), but I am happy to say that B&O does take user interface a lot more seriously these days and their newer products are certainly an absolute joy for humans to use. Oh and, I do also appreciate the sheer level of variety in colours and materials a lot of B&O products possess; it certainly helps with the overall design synergy of your home!

B&O is one interesting company. They have managed to produce good sound while riding at the top of Lifestyle Brands. The Beolab 50 if it sounds better than the Beolab 5 has to be one of the best sounding speaker around. The Beolab 5 is an exceptional sounding speaker and a fnie looking one. We (me included) , audiophiles have derided it too long because ... well... it was by B&o. A quick audition will let you now how good it is ... how superior it was to many audiophiles speaker and clearly an iconic product.
I believe that if B&O was to review the pricing of the Beolab 50, 40 K is way too much IMHO even for a fine looking piece of furniture. a more reasonable , say around $20K for a complete audio system would place it in the price segment now occupied by the Kii Three and the D&D 8C.. They may need to attack the audiophile market upfront, no holds barred, no apologies for being beautiful :D

KozmoNaut

I really like the designs they've got going right now, with the oak panels and polished aluminum. It's a classy retro (60s/70s) look, but seen through the lens of a modern designer.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
There's a great deal of debate on what design really means. To an engineer, it's a developmental process oriented around specifications. To an artist, it's an aesthetic.

The wooden end plates and cabinets were popular in the 60s. The Japanese stepped it up a notch in the 70s with nice woods and finishes. Frankly, this kind of work is dead simple. It requires few tools beyond a table saw, mitre saw, sander, and finishing tools.

I used to think it was rocket science. Then I realized the only unique requirement was patience (something I lacked as a young man).

Laying up 8-10 coats of urethane over 180-220 grit sanded wood gives amazing results indistinguishable from a factory finish. All you have to do is hand sand between coats. After 5-6 coats, wet sand at 400 to 1000 grit between another 5-6 coats. You know you're doing it right when the sanded urethane and water create a thin milky consistency which can be wiped off. If the urethane hasn't cured, it will form rolled up balls and the surface will suffer.

Here's a solid oak end cap I made for a half wall in my home. Same principle, Home Depot lumber, 12 coats of Minwax satin urethane, no polish. Just a piece of cut and sanded wood with a smooth finish (which is all a set of end plates for an amp are). Made 15 years ago before I learned how to cut my own plugs from the same board so that they disappear. The urethane was applied with a brush. If it were today, I'd do much better laying it down with my compressor and gun. (Ahh, youth!)

IMG_1863.JPG

Last edited:

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Hi Juhazi
Are your speakers customized Gradient 1.3s, by any chance? I once bid on a pair of used 1.3s and was disappointed that they got away. Would have loved having such a conversation piece... and great speakers too, at least according to a review by Robert Greene in The Absolute Sound.
Thanks, inspired by Gradient 1.3, but my design is 4-way active with minidsp. I have a thread at diyaudio and please PM if you want more info!
https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mul...aborative-speaker-project-51.html#post4494795

scott wurcer

Major Contributor
Audio Luminary
Technical Expert
There's a great deal of debate on what design really means. . (Ahh, youth!)

View attachment 36216

Nice, the last thing my father was physically capable of doing with me was picking out some Wisconsin white oak that I drove back to Boston to make a staircase in my first house. I milled and finished all the rails and balusters myself.

Hypnotoad

I absolutely despise "boomy" and exaggerated bass. I like my bass tight and to the point.

Similar to me but I'm talking about women's bums. "I absolutely despise "boomy" and exaggerated ass. I like ass tight and to the point." Boobs not so much.

Top Bottom