• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AirPort Express 2 vs. other streamer options

Spyerx

Hi all - Here's my use case:
office system, reasonably resolving but not generally used for critical listening - bat integrated amp + some Harbeth mini-monitors p3esr
My source for this system is 100% Apple Music - mostly via streaming, sometimes via local files (lossless), sent from my computer to the airport via airplay
I currently use an AirPort Express 2, and am using the built in dac / analog out
I don't use other streaming services.

I believe this may be limited by:
airplay2 - supposed conversion when streaming from 256aac, or lossless local limited to 44.1k
The dac in the airport

Realistically, is something like a Wiim pro plus going to be an upgrade ? I don't really want to run an external dac.

Is there another option I'm missing on how to get my music to this device (other than a really really long USB cable?) I feel like I'm missing something to work around airplay2.

My main system I also use Apple Music streaming lossless/highrez / local files but the DAC is a benchmark dac3 directly plugged into the Mac, that feeds my Luxman 509x and drives a set of Harbeth 30.2xd speakers. This sounds really great.

thanks

lkanies

Forum Donor
My recollection of the tests is that the airport has a better DAC than the WiiM (I have both). I would only switch to a WiiM if you are also getting an external DAC.

For this same use case (office) I run USB to my audio interface, then XLR to my active monitors.

OP
S

Spyerx

I appreciate the response.

Based on much too much reading it seems, if i would like to stay with Apple Music as a source (streaming or local files), the best approach would be as you suggest, a DAC with a USB input, and then XLR into my amp and not use airplay2.

I believe the cable would need to be about 20ft long, however, Are there any concerns with a long USB cable?

OP
S

Spyerx

So i ended up getting a dac10 balanced DAC and am feeding it via my desktop and well, it sounds great and solves the soft highs i was getting and i can also remove airplay from the chain.

cinemakinoeye

There is a long related discussion about Airport Express in this discussion thread.

I am a big fan of the Airport Express (second generation A1392) which is AirPlay 2 capable with a firmware update. I have five of these devices around the house as my whole house music system using Apple Music implemented on the cheap and I could not be happier! One person can play their music in the living room while I play something else in another room, or I can play the same music in multiple rooms, all from an iPhone iPad, or Mac. We are an Apple household, so it works like a charm. One of the Airport Express units was purchased new many years ago for use as a WiFi router, the other four were purchased through eBay when I realized how well they work for a whole house music system. I wish Apple still sold these units! I use them all via their analog outs, and while tests show there is a difference between the digital and analog outputs, my ears can't tell the difference, so I don't see any reason to purchase DACs. I do get a drop-out once in a while, but it's not a serious problem 99% of the time.

MacClintock

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I switched back to Airport Express recently and have nothing to complain, the DAC is transparent and the streamer works nicely.

Last edited:

Maginness

There is a long related discussion about Airport Express in this discussion thread.

I am a big fan of the Airport Express (second generation A1392) which is AirPlay 2 capable with a firmware update. I have five of these devices around the house as my whole house music system using Apple Music implemented on the cheap and I could not be happier! One person can play their music in the living room while I play something else in another room, or I can play the same music in multiple rooms, all from an iPhone iPad, or Mac. We are an Apple household, so it works like a charm. One of the Airport Express units was purchased new many years ago for use as a WiFi router, the other four were purchased through eBay when I realized how well they work for a whole house music system. I wish Apple still sold these units! I use them all via their analog outs, and while tests show there is a difference between the digital and analog outputs, my ears can't tell the difference, so I don't see any reason to purchase DACs. I do get a drop-out once in a while, but it's not a serious problem 99% of the time.

This is me too. I have multiple 2nd gen Airport Express units around the house. In some cases I go from the Airport Express into a DAC or DSP, in other cases I go analog out into an amp. We also have some Sonos speakers, which also show up as AirPlay devices, making the whole setup very family friendly. I even have a couple in a box for back up.

My main system I am currently using a WiiM Pro to play with. Can not tell any difference between it and an Airport Express for my use (Apple device as source). Whenever I have some need to mess with the system will likely connect the Airport Express backup and box up the WiiM Pro. I like the WiiM device but don't use any of the features other than AirPlay connection.

Top Bottom