• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What's your dream system?

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
Firstly, I always have an itch for something different, so my dream allows for a couple of systems.
Each would have a turntable and tuner, and as far as possible be based on one manufacturer, ‘cos that looks nice. So say a Sony ES (which I’ve got except for speakers) or Aurex 15 or Philips MFB or Technics C01. Maybe a 70s Luxman or Yamaha system.
Digital for main system would be a Topping dac and Innuos streamer/server and any system consistent CD player. Chromecast audio in subsidiary systems.
Price no object? Then a full works Benchmark set, into my current Vivids, just to prove that I can’t hear a difference between this and any of the old stuff in the other systems.
And a real dream, no sodding cables anywhere!

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Not my dream, but good news for the less wealthy fans of Wilson speakers. The poor man's Chronosonic has been released, a pair is just $351.000 (plus cargo I guess) https://www.stereophile.com/content/wilson’s-big-new-baby

The newcomer on the right, behind Daryl

20190906-WILSON1-600.jpg

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine hasn’t been invented yet. I can imagine some far future iteration of current advanced hearing aid technology that is directly embedded in the ear drum with lossless streaming.

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Now that I think about it, I guess for a surround system at home, I'd get 5 or 7 of Don Keele's CBT array speakers and four Rythmik subs.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Last edited:

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company

I would expect that @mitchco 's setup has awesome dynamic range and window rattling bass. I recall he uses Audiolense for the crossover.

Both my wife and daughter like it too, including the industrial look. Lot's of fun!

PS. 2 x 18" subs @ 1800 watts from 6 Hz to 45 Hz, 4 x 15" midbass @ 1050 watts from 45 Hz to 630 Hz has some pretty good dynamic range and can keep up with the acoustic drum kit in the same room. The compression driver/waveguide combo have 110 dB sensitivity at 1w/1m and requires very little power, so 16 watts from 630 Hz to 20 kHz. Audiolense is used for digital XO triamp, time alignment of drivers and some frequency correction in the low end and some constant directivity waveguide eq.

Last edited:

AVphile

The challenge is to live the dream. This is my first posting, so please excuse my hubris. I have been slowly developing my audio system for now close to 20 years -- adding a component here and there until I recently reached the point where, rather than play music to listen to my equipment, I can finally use my equipment to listen to music. The essential components of my primary system are: Theta Casablanca IV preamp/processor; Lumin T2 streamer/DAC (with Teddy Pardo LPS); Roon Nucleus+; Krell (Class A) power amplifiers; and Revel Ultima speakers and subwoofers. I use good, but not insanely priced, cables throughout. Anyone doing the math can quickly determine that this system was costly (on an original price basis), but, spreading my investment over a two-decade time frame, my outlay was around $4K per year. For that investment, I believe I am fortunate to have a system that is musical, detailed and captivating/engrossing; it is my dream system. However, I also recognize that I am damn lucky and not only that I have been able afford all of this equipment. When assembling an audio system, that famous poem of John Donne is definitely applicable -- "No man is an island entire of itself . . . ." All the components have to work together, sometimes in indeterminable ways, to realize not just their individual potentials but also as best-performing crucial parts of the system as a whole. When that happens: Nirvana. In my case, they do.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I've had the design ideas but not money or time for some high powered tube monoblocks and hybrid electrostatics. At least for the former, I have most of the parts, it's the metalwork and bling that are the financial stumbling blocks.

Well, if my wife wins the lottery and I can retire...

oldsysop

I'd rather say what I would never buy:
-Something referred to the audio recommended by an audiophile.
-A speaker whose woofer is less than 12 inches.
-A class D amplifier.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
-A class D amplifier.
Some glaring generalized judgement errors being made there.

AVphile

Dear Old Sysop -- as I am insatiably curious, what do you see as my "generalized judgement errors"? I reread what I wrote and confess I seem blind to whichever I inadvertently made.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
-A class D amplifier.

That's well thought out.

Top Bottom