• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Poll: Do you use a subwoofer? (Explain why/why not)

Do you use a subwoofer? (Explain why)

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

mitchco

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
@cjf Nope, the room will implode before I get to that level :)

My setup is a combined music and HT setup. On music, feels like there is no limit to the bottom end with an f3 of 6Hz in my room. But Rythmik subs have a well controlled, tactile feel to them. Like you say, cones not really moving. Their measured step response is virtually textbook perfect. Gotta love that direct servo control design. Brian knows what he is doing and has the 3rd party measurements to back it up. I agree with you, highly recommend Rythmik direct servo controlled subs.

For fun, I crank up the Sony intro (like a modern THX) at the beginning of Into the Spider-Verse, and the wood house foundation shakes it is so explosive. Cracks me up!

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Built my own (2x 40cm) sealed and corrected.
It is 'flat' from (0dB) 16Hz to 80Hz and uses a 200W JK Acoustics monoblock amp (slightly altered input circuit).

I built the subwoofer to act as a TV stand as well and ensures the Dynaudio 17W75 based speakers above it don't have to do large excursions.
That latter part basically is the reason why one should use a sub unless one has special large excursion woofers in the main speakers already.

Last edited:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use Harbeth p3esrs and I’m theory could benefit from a sub, I don’t have one because I guess I have never been bothered by a perceived lack of low frequencies. I’d consider getting one if I ran out of other things to do.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
A pair of SVS SB-16 for immersive music/movies.

It’s impossible to reproduce full range music/movies in reference levels without at least a pair.
A single sub results in big seat by seat variation of frequency response.

Willem

Major Contributor
My Quad 2805 speakers don't go very loud or low and a B&W PV1d nicely cured that. At first I was disappointed by the woolly sound quality until I started reading about room modes and dsp room eq. So I bought an Antimode 8033 and this improved things enormously. A second sub will be the next step.
I also experimented with a combination of the sub and my Harbeth p3ESR desktop speakers. The transformation was spectacular. So I am now pondering an SBS SB1000 for the desktop system. One will be enough because I will always be listening in the same spot.
But I first need to find the budget.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't own one or two, but I should. I tried the Adam A7X at guitar center and, while they played loud and clear, couldn't help but notice the lack of bass. My McIntosh LS310 at home seemed to have more bass, but is that room modes or better amplification from a Carver Amp? Anyway, now I'm convinced that whatever I get, I'll need a couple subs, which of course just makes the price so much higher.

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I'm currently using a couple of subs with my Kii Threes. Not because they need further extension or more spl in my room, but simply because I wanted to reduce distortion across the board.

In particular, the upper bass/lower mids are problematic for me due to boundary reflections. It worked for me;
Internet_20190827_091209_2.jpeg.jpg
Internet_20190827_091209_1.jpeg.jpg

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
As a contrabass player I feel my system is correct when reproducing contrabass, without sub. As I do not often listen some records of ship's siren I do not feel the need for sub.

Willem

Major Contributor
Multiple subs do not necessarily have to be much more expensive unless you are craving for nuclear explosions. For music two small ones will often sound better than one big one.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

The contribution of smooth and sufficient level of bass in a an audio system has to be experienced to be fully understood. Even very cheap subwoofers fairly integrated improve the overall performance of a system. to repeat: ... smooth , good bass brings clarity to the reproduction even above the low bass. even in the midrange and above...
I use in my HT, three (3)Parts Express subs dubbed "cheesewoofers" by RayDunzl . Two 15 inches and One 12 inches...
Dayton Audio SUB-1500 15" 150 Watt Powered Subwoofer

I will likely go Rythmik or build my own next...

Be warned that you don't just plop 2 or 3 woofers and voila!! they're integrated with your mains in your room. It requires work. measurements and Yes!, knowledge: One must read, learn and experiment a good deal but the results even with a pair of cheap subwoofers are amazing. Fortunately the tools required are inexpensive: REW a free wonderful software, (kudos to its writer, John Mulcahy, a member here) and a Umik or equivalent for about $100 ... It takes time to master but well worth the commitment.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Multiple subs do not necessarily have to be much more expensive unless you are craving for nuclear explosions. For music two small ones will often sound better than one big one.
+1

Juhazi

Major Contributor
Yes.
I have two main systems that both I use for 2-ch music and HT. Both have diy speakers and sealed box active subs, controlled with minidsp and acoustic measurements. The living room system has two 10" "subs" as part of 4-way active main speakers, crossed LR2 around 180Hz. The HT room has a single mono sub (2x15"), crossed LR2 around 80Hz. I don't use room-EQ, but low-Q smoothing and delay for both subs and mains, to get good phase match between them.

Previous cheap 10" ported "subs" were ridiculous distortion generators that were BR-tuned around 40Hz!

Room measurement with one speaker at time playing
ainogneo83 v4a lr spl diff dist 500ms 16.jpg
aw7 ppsl lr 500ms 124.jpg

Last edited:

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
Two small second hand subs by BK, a British outfit that have a good rep for low cost quality. A lot of cheap American brands aren’t available here.
Subs are obviously more noticeable on films/ tv but I’m generally positive on their impact on music. After the initial shock and awe is over on films I’m unsure if they are actually too noticeable.
Will remove them for a week or so and check if I’m upset when they’re gone.

Willem

Major Contributor
:). And outdoors there are no room modes. Indoors, I think dsp room eq is mandatory. An Antimode 8033 is extremely easy to implement, unlike REW. Evenso, I have now been measuring with REW to set a few filters in my new RME ADI-2DAC, with good results: the main speakers also produced some nasty room modes.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Yes. I have bookshelf and tower speakers, neither get to 30Hz loudly. I also watch a lot of movies, and for that you want to get to 20Hz or lower.

Only if you watch movies with earthquakes and explosions in them. Or maybe that indelicate scene in Blazing Saddles. :facepalm:

Last edited:

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
Nope, my speakers sporting two ported 12' each with a decent 30Hz, I don't feel the need yet :
- though maybe a couple of'em could help dealing with modal resonances, but then I fear it'd be a tough sell at home.

Willem

Major Contributor
But you do have some nasty peaks and dips even though some are above sub territory. The advantage of subwoofers is that you can locate them where they produce least room modes, and that is not necessarily where the main speakers have to be for best sound field. In your case I would look into dsp room eq. That will clean up the sound without domestic disagreements, on the contrary.

Fledermaus

Forum Donor
The measurement is taken from the listening position, uncorrected, one-shot, no averaging, so it is loaded with all kinds of reflections, comb filtering and such.
From a subjective point of view I agree, a bit of low-Q attenuation in the midbass is beneficial indeed.

Top Bottom